Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Changing up quickly

StephenS1

Monza
I've been driving my 997s for about 18 months now and I'm only now discovering how best to accelerate on roads, bearing in mind the torquey nature of this NA engine.

Before I would ring out the revs all the way to 7000 in each gear assuming that this was the quickest way to accelerate but what I've realised recently is that if you change up after about 5.5k you arrive at the next lumpy bit of torque in the ascending gear.

It's like the power tails off quite a lot after this point (about 6k).

You don't want to be taking your car anywhere near 7K rpm, as you'll go into the dreaded over rev section and it'll get logged into the cars computer.

Over rev's are quite frowned upon, and definitely affect the sale of a car if its checked. I believer there are a few different rev ranges that get logged.

Your right about the cars performance and sound when you go above 5K rpm, the sound alone is phenomenal and really sound like a race engine at that point. The gear change sounds even better. I've only had my car 7 months and once I discovered this hidden zone, I fell deeper in love with the car.

According to my brief google for 997S power curves, it should be still making good power until at least 6500.

I've not got one of these NA cars, but just going from the curve alone I'd hold the gear until then myself for maximum acceleration.

chowgar said:
You don't want to be taking your car anywhere near 7K rpm, as you'll go into the dreaded over rev section and it'll get logged into the cars computer....

Another misconception, you cannot over-rev your car going up the gearbox, that's what the rev limiter is for!

Going down the 'box is another story though!

There's no problem using the full 7K rev range, it's the torque that gets you there, the HP holds it.

Martian said:
chowgar said:
You don't want to be taking your car anywhere near 7K rpm, as you'll go into the dreaded over rev section and it'll get logged into the cars computer....

Another misconception, you cannot over-rev your car going up the gearbox, that's what the rev limiter is for!
Indeed, what a load of utter crap! :floor:

If you want to go quickly, rev the car to the redline then shift. Changing up at 5.5K? Might as well be driving a bloody diesel. If you can notice the power dropping off that much after 6K, then you've an issue with your engine I suspect.

Thank you for the enlightenment. As I understand, you can still go into rev range 1 on upshifts, but the real damage is over rev's on downshifting, which could have significant engine damage.

A guy on my road recently sold his C63 AMG and bought a brand new 991 Carrera S. Just a couple of days ago, I saw him get out of his house, jump in and drive off by absolutely ragging it!

Now this kind of care towards these cars is rife amongst those who change them every few years. The problem is that this abuse, which the cars are subjected to, won't be recorded anywhere!

I am very happy to rev our car up to the rev limiter it come's alive after 5.500 the sound and smile grow in harmony as we get closer to 7,000 rpm the old BMW v10 M5 used to red line at 8,250 not an unpleasant noise . IMHO a Porsche is a race bred sports car not a Morris Minor enjoy it how ever you wish to drive it :D

This is crazy topic. To buy a Porsche and then be worried about not over-revving it in fear of reducing re-sale value is missing the point of these fine machines.
Porsche engines are designed to deliver their best performance between 5000 - 7000 rpm. This is where the racing heritage comes in to play.
As long as you keep the services up to date and make sure the oil is clean and full, these engines will give you years of high performance joy.

Ekona said:
Changing up at 5.5K? Might as well be driving a bloody diesel. If you can notice the power dropping off that much after 6K, then you've an issue with your engine I suspect.

What I said was that the power seems to trail off, that is, is doesn't seems to accelerate as hard, not that it stops accelerating up at the top.

My understanding is that the engine was made deliberately quite torquey, I suppose for road-going practicality. Maybe 5.5k was a bit low an observation. My point was mainly that by changing up about 1k or so before the redline you end up in the torquiest band of the revs in the next highest gear.

It can't just be me that has my head bang against the headrest when I floor it at just under 4k in second!

Best head banging moment is dropping down to 2nd at 50mph and flooring it. 7k comes up bloody quick! Lol

Good to know !
Only had car since Easter... Hit the limiter in first gear a couple of times
:driving:

:lol:

997 Carrera
Range 1 | >7300 and <7500
Range 2 | >7500 and <7700
Range 3 | >7700 and <7900
Range 4 | >7900 and <8400
Range 5 | >8400 and <9500
Range 6 | 9500+

From March 2014 RR3 and above are unacceptable for OPC warranty without cylinder leakage test. They have to have been >200 operating hours prior also. RR5 and above are automatic refusal and voiding of warranty, unless there is some mitigating factor. RR1 and RR2 are easy to hit. RR3 is not all that difficult either.

I use the whole rev range, mainly for the screaming noise, however, I've noticed that might not be the engine. :dont know:

Peak torque is at 4250rpm for the 3.6 and 4600rpm for the 3.8. Peak power is 6800rpm for the 3.6 and 6600rpm for the 3.8. These are the 997.1 figures.

Very interesting reading Plavix, do you know the RPM where the rev limiter is set going up the gears?

Well, that has been discussed before, and I've been disagreed with. There is no electronic limiter, similar to what you will find in a BMW or Audi.

According to the manual the maximum RPM for the engine, whether 3.6 or 3.8, is 7300rpm. You can rev the engine through the redline from 7300rpm to above 7900 with relative ease going through the gears on upshift. Skipping a gear on downshift, for instance engaging 2nd gear at 80mph, will result in RR5.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cooper9000
Back