Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Any iPhone geniuses out there?

HSC911

Sebring
Really getting on my
boobies.gif
now!!!

Wife and I have just got new iPhone 5S's. We also have an ipad.

At the moment, this never happened before, she is receiving all of my iMessages.

And when she sends me a message from her phone, I get it on my phone as me. So I get a message sent from her phone, under my name from my own number.

And if I reply, the message comes back to me again in the same message chain!
mad.gif

Yet, if I send her a message to her number, under her name, she will also get this separately. But I do not.

I am sure there is a setting to turn this off but where/what is it? This never happened before when we had 2 iPhone 4S's and the iPad.

My email address is the iCloud address.

This is doing my nut!!!!!!!!!
Eyecrazy.gif

Settings>messages> uncheck imessage box. I think that is what I did?

Sounds like you have the same iCloud account active on both handsets. Either logout on hers, and/or sign in with a different address and you should no longer receive each others iMessages. Or, you could turn iMessages off completely and revert to using normal SMS.

You can also disassociate iMessages from the email address (I think), so that it only uses a specific phone number. Settings-Messages-Send&Recieve, and then deselect the iCloud email address so that it's only using one phone number.

kas750 said:
Settings>messages> uncheck imessage box. I think that is what I did?

Tried this last night after a quick google. But then my number disappeared from the options of contacts. Caused even more hours of googling answers!

But thanks :thumb:

declandio said:
Sounds like you have the same iCloud account active on both handsets. Either logout on hers, and/or sign in with a different address and you should no longer receive each others iMessages. Or, you could turn iMessages off completely and revert to using normal SMS.

You can also disassociate iMessages from the email address (I think), so that it only uses a specific phone number. Settings-Messages-Send&Recieve, and then deselect the iCloud email address so that it's only using one phone number.

It must be something to do with the email address and a setting on her phone. I just don't know which it is or what I need to do.

She doesn't have a separate iCloud account. All 3 gadgets are on my email address.

declandio said:

I have done this on my phone, but will check hers later.

Thanks for your time on this guy's
threesome.gif

HSC911 said:
All 3 gadgets are on my email address.

declandio said:

I have done this on my phone, but will check hers later.

Thanks for your time on this guy's
threesome.gif

No worries.

Having all 3 gadgets using the same iCloud account is why this is happening. I think that if you go into the send & receive options on all devices and have it so only each handsets phone number is associated with iMessages, that should solve it.

On the iPad, you can leave it set to the email address and delete all phone numbers.... so anyone who sends an iMessage to your iCloud email (or any other email you want to associate with it) will be messaging to your iPad... and anyone using your phone number will be sending a message to... your phone.

AppleStores are like Zoo's but if all else fails, wander into one with all 3 gizmos and one of the overly smiley spotty genii should be able to sort you out pretty quickly.

Good luck!

declandio said:
AppleStores are like Zoo's but if all else fails, wander into one with all 3 gizmos and one of the overly smiley spotty genii should be able to sort you out pretty quickly.

Good luck!

I would but it's a 50 mile round trip to MK
hang.gif

Thank you again, I will keep you updated...
hug.gif

Somehow solved similar issues just luck and can't remember how we did it in the end sorry :? Can be hugely embarrassing and the source of many a divorce nowadays!

spongebob squarepants said:
Can be hugely embarrassing and the source of many a divorce nowadays!

Will be if she finds out how much I pay for 911 parts that I don't need!!!!

:thewife:

bdsm.gif

Agree with others. You need to separate the accounts. You can however go into Settings>Messages>Send & Receive and log out of the iCloud account you have it logged into. To do so just select the account name and it will give you options, select log out. That will stop the message duplication. But to allow your missus to have iMessage you will need to log in with her own account or she will only get text messages.

My wife has been having the same problem sending and receiving messages to/from her mum and dad. I thought it was maybe because her dad had inherited her mum's phone and they will just have swapped SIMs like in the olden days, not realising there is now the whole world of pain that is Apple IDs that are a complete nightmare to deal with.

I'd rather not revert to SMS because you lose the iMessage benefits (sending messages over wi-fi for free) and had thought her mum and dad could do something to ensure they had properly removed all traces of her mum's credentials from her old phone.

We're still wrestling with this so it would be great to see what the final resolution looks like.

GP41 said:
My wife has been having the same problem sending and receiving messages to/from her mum and dad. I thought it was maybe because her dad had inherited her mum's phone and they will just have swapped SIMs like in the olden days, not realising there is now the whole world of pain that is Apple IDs that are a complete nightmare to deal with.

I'd rather not revert to SMS because you lose the iMessage benefits (sending messages over wi-fi for free) and had thought her mum and dad could do something to ensure they had properly removed all traces of her mum's credentials from her old phone.

We're still wrestling with this so it would be great to see what the final resolution looks like.

The solution I mentioned above will resolve your issue it seems from what you have said. I do a lot of iPhone support in my job.

Ok, thank isysman. I'll give that a try.

Hi,

All you need to do is go into Settings>Messages>Text Message Forwarding

Here you will see "Allow these devices to send and receive text messages from this iPhone " it's a list of your other devices i.e. iPhones, iPads on your little network, slide them all off and you will be left with your individual device. You need to do this for all the devices.

Cheers,
Paul

Go to Settings>Messages>Send & Receive and check the "you can be reached at" addresses making sure only your contacts are listed. Uncheck the ones that are not you. Turn off iMessage and then turn back on.

Do the same at Settings>FaceTime>You can be reached at. Turn off FaceTime and then on again.

And then maybe a hard reboot (power and home button held down) for good measure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stulees65
Back