Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Building million pound Jaguar

wot996

Silverstone
Just started channel 4! Apologies for tardiness.

Watched it the other evening, a lovely finished article. Was interesting how bitter the owners of the originals were, but I guess they've paid £4 -5 m for theirs and a brand new one , made of better stuff, is available for just over £1m . The new ones were referred to as "kit cars" more than once.But the new ones have no racing heritage, and will end us mainly as collectibles. No different to the new Lister Knobblies you can now buy.

Replicas! :grin:

Watched it and found it fascinating. I've worked with JLR in the recent past and have always been hugely impressed by the expertise and passion of the engineers (if not always by some of the senior management).

The attention to detail and decisions made were amazing. The sight of the original bonnet presses being reused was beautiful to behold. The attention to detail laudable. The manufacturing was a joy.

Even the marketing was a healthy fusion of customer focus with perfectionism.

The response of the 'they're just replicas' brigade made me fume though. Now whether this is genuinely the wider response or the producers looking for the 'drama' in the story as the celebs they wanted to film buying the cars had firmly told them to f--- off, or a representation of a genuinely pervading view, I don't know :dont know:

Personally IMHO a major global manufacturer taking the brave decision to remake iconic models to the original spec is a fantastic thing. I'd wager were Porsche, Lambo, Ferrari or even Shelby, to take original plans and make them exact as they were 50 years ago themselves (not outsource them, these were Jaguar employees FFS) the 'cognoscenti' would be in a lather of positive comments and excitement.

It infuriates me that the story always falls on us Brits taking pot shots at local brave decisions and the 'experts' (naturally fronted by a 'Lord' as representing 'truth') feel the need for pompous rhetoric. Or maybe that twat Mark Evans spun this angle to the fore because they wouldn't let him drive it....

So great story: ***** presentation. It made me yearn for the input of a Clarkson or May who would've gone for Lord March's jugular rather than sycophantically drink from his every word as if it was nectar.

But my pervading feeling is one of pride in the men and women working on these fabulous machines and the bravery of the management team in signing off this project. Respect where it's due :thumb: :worship:

But not for that sour faced tw@t Mark Evans. What a kn0b. :wack:

One of my mates won title of Jaguar Global Challenge International Technical Winner for 2004 at finals in UK during Feb 2005.

He blew one of the judges away at the interview process when confronted with some technical question.

As he was interviewed at the final stage he was asked to work out some co-efficient drag type stuff of a car with all the dimensions given. Then presented with a laptop containing the relevant software to do it and told to give them an answer.
He simply turned the laptop off and said to the judge - "Do you have a pencil and paper, I'll show you the proper way to do it".
Then the judge sat patiently whilst my mate scribbled various formulas down and ultimately presented the judge with a piece of paper with correct answer on.

The judge just looked at him and said - "You've Won!"

alex yates said:
One of my mates won title of Jaguar Global Challenge International Technical Winner for 2004 at finals in UK during Feb 2005.

:grin: :worship:

alex yates said:

He blew one of the judges away at the interview process when confronted with some technical question.

As he was interviewed at the final stage he was asked to work out some co-efficient drag type stuff of a car with all the dimensions given. Then presented with a laptop containing the relevant software to do it and told to give them an answer.
He simply turned the laptop off and said to the judge - "Do you have a pencil and paper, I'll show you the proper way to do it".
Then the judge sat patiently whilst my mate scribbled various formulas down and ultimately presented the judge with a piece of paper with correct answer on.

I hope it was not for the X-Type :grin:

I enjoyed the show. A couple of years ago we had some custom made Harley Davidsons made and their attention to detail was amazing (as was the price :roll: )

I didn't think it was a kit car or a replica, it was made by the manufacturer, to there specification.
and would carry the correct VIN and parerwork (V5)

if it was by a different company then fair points.

also it cant have any racing pedigree because it/they have not entered any races yet.
for me it is a proper genuine jaguar, and I recon far better than the old "original" ones.
the owners of the first ones, still have the pedigree and history, and age, and value, they need to get over themselves and embrace them.

Ive always liked Mark Evans, he's a clever bloke. One of the best car based programs I've seen for ages :thumbs:

Ian

I wish I had a million, and I wish I'd been asked if I wanted one....

How can something built AT Jaguar, BY Jaguar, WITH Jaguar parts be a kit car, replica or recreation....

It's a Jaguar......

And for the Lords and other collectors who own, or want a racing D type from the era, go and buy one, if you can find one, and pay the money the seller wants....

.....What do you think the depreciation will be on the new ones ? maybe in a couple of years they'll be in my price range. :floor:

alex yates said:

Priceless :worship:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Camarocane
Back