Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Window Regulator

Les

Sao Paulo
Any tips on fitting a replacement window regulator?

Went to close my drivers window last night to find the window stuck and the sound of wire twisting around.

Same problem on my C4S last week - found parts @eurocarparts genuine part for £147 but managed to get one from porsche reading for £140

Straightforward job took about 40 mins - followed these instrunctions

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techart...Replacing_Your_Window_Regulator_and_Motor.htm

Note: the new regulator comes with a extra stopper which should be removed otherwise the window will not open all the way down leaving about 1" glass.

Non Gen part is a lot less. Can be had on Ebay for around £65.

I fitted one on a customers 996 a month or so ago. Easy to do, but remember to take the stop off as has been said, unless using it for the Boxster of course.

I fitted an ebay one 2 years ago, no problems despite plenty of use. Just follow the pelican parts DIY, getting perfect adjustment is a bit of a faff.

You don't have to remove the airbag, I sliced my door membrane around it.

Tips? be careful not to trap your hand!!!

Oh yeah don't forget the zip tie holding the regulator cable to the door - you will get a rattle if you don't do this.

This repair kit apparently fits a 996:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/PORSCHE-911-...rm:996&hash=item3ab6fee096:g:9Z4AAOSwlV9WTv3r

£42 delivered

It also says it fits 987, which makes me think the £10 987 ones will also fit 996.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PORSCHE-B...612825?hash=item1ea2ef5559:g:92UAAOSwHnFV0l7t

Looking at the regulators, the 987 has a different shaped bit where the motor mounts (different motor used?), otherwise looks the same as 996.

Looking at the different kits, the pulley supplied looks different between 987 and 996. The kits that say they fit both don't come with any pulleys.

Hmm I might gamble the tenner. Will inspect mine first to make sure my pulley isn't damaged.

I was thinking the same thing. I messaged the seller of the kit and they say it won't work on a 986 / 996, but they may just be covering themselves for a potential return.

Fitted a non genuine one in December 2021 days before Christmas, same one has just crunched and snapped on the wag home tonight, year and a half later :-(

My garage said they were sh+t and they are!

I've fitted two now,one to my 996 and one to my 986. It's a PITA job but once you've done it once it's not to bad, somebody mentioned above about not removing the door airbag and cutting the membrane, personally I wouldn't do that, as you may have issues with water ingress later on, just remove air bag it's dead easy, just make sure you disconnect the battery first.

Also I personally would buy the genuine Bosch regulator, yes its more expensive, the old adage is true, buy cheap, buy twice. To caveat that, if you hardly use the car you may indeed get a few years out of the cheaper regulator, or you maybe lucky and not have any problems, but I know of at least 5 other cases of these breaking within 18mths and I personally wouldn't want to replace these on a regular basis.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Retep
Back