Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Front wheel tracking..

Citori

Mexico City
Hello fellow forum members.
I want to take my car to get the front wheel tracking checked.
What should the correct setting be? (don't want to rely on the garage having the correct figures for an older car)

I have found a few bits of literature and the common theme seems to be (total toe) +5 +- 5.

That seems a pretty wide range. Any ideas what the best setting might be?
Is there any advantage in giving more toe in or toe out?

The car has standard suspension with 17" cup 2 wheels. General road use, no track work.

Thanks, Steve.

Hi Steve

I can tell you what the road sport settings are when my C2S with 18" hollow spokes was sorted by CoG last week. They were brilliant with me and well worth a visit.

Camber -0.50 R and L, ive used more in the past but it rubs the inside of the tyres and wears more quickly.
Caster +5 mins R and L
Toe 0.02 R 0.03L Total Toe 0.05 Acceptable range 0 - 0.10

Changing the toe affects turn in and straight line stability I believe.
To much either way isn't good it either makes a car nervous in a straight line or very snappy turn in to bends, sorry I can't remember for certain which is which, I'm sure somebody will be along to correct me shortly.

I hope that helps.

I just got back from CG yesterday. I tried to take in as much as I could, and Chris is great at talking everything through.

My takeaway was that toe, castor, camber and ride height all work together, in combination with the suspension condition and specification (which affects range of adjustability you can play with). The optimal settings for me were determined by Chris based on the suspension I have, and how I wanted the car set up.

So there is a safe range that you can stay within by the book, but beyond that you really need to trust in the knowledge and skill of the operator that sets the tracking. I would suggest giving Chris or Pete a call. Pete gave me about 20 minutes on the phone when I first rang up, just talking about my questions. They're are both passionate about these cars, and generous with their knowledge, and I'm sure they can and will give you some great guidance whether or not you use them.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ahab
Back