Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Potentially the dreaded scored bores.......

ndobson4

Hi All,

Been in 997.1 ownership for nearly a year and loved every second - nothing beats coming out every morning to my 997 C4S....

Anyway to have been quietly taking in all the great conversations on the forum and this is my first post.

I think I have the dreaded scored bores, oil usage has increased in past 2k miles - although I've done 7/8k this year and had oil changed from 0-40 to 5-40 around 4k ago - would that affect consumption? The consumption is still within Porsche limits by a long way.....very sooty left tail pipe is the biggest concern - although both are sooty after I cleaned them to an inch of their live around 3k ago but left is def worse. No smoke on start up etc.

Interested to understand options and budgets - I do have some cash and keep thinking about 2 options:

1 - sell car / part ex and get something else - challenge that I have is what as took me best part of a year to decide on a 911.

2 - the rest of the car is pretty solid, had new clutch as I bought it and whilst has 70k on clock a ppi and latest oil change have said car looks good for its age. So have the engine rebuilt which should put me in a good position for next 3-4 years as would like to keep it.

If I am honest I am leaning towards option 2 - so.....what are the options and costs - I see hartec mentioned a lot but it's 250 miles away from me down south - in my mind if opening up the car I'd do all 6 cylinders and make it good for years to come. So with that in mind, any idea on costs, time and good people to look at this.

Car is in for MOT in 4 weeks so will likely get in scoped but would be nice to have a plan of action.

Thanks all and love reading the stories on here....

I'd recommend you call Hartech and speak to Grant or Baz to get their advice and explore options.

The signs are certainly looking to bore score - the left tail pipe sooting up is the give-away as is the increased oil consumption.

There may be a case of getting a firm diagnosis, but someone recently had a similar problem and discovered it when they went to Virgin911 where the guys heard the piston slap and pronounced scores bores - they know the signs and symptoms too well.

If you want to have the rebuild and have it done properly, it will set you back around £8k. If you proceed, you are committed to keeping the car to justify the expense - you cannot recoup it on re-sale. The rebuild will make it more saleable, but its the age and mileage that will largely determine resale value + small premium for the Hartech treatment.

Another option is to offload the car to Hartech if they want to buy it outright from you. It will be a silly price but you cut your losses instantly.

Distance should not affect where you take it. Your car can be trailered to anywhere (including Hartech).

If you go for the rebuild, go for all new cylinders in Nikasil (not iron), new pistons, new timing chains, the better ims bearing etc. etc. and future proof by addressing the root cause of the problem. Hartech or anyone else can advise you on this.

At high mileage you may be into general wear on drive train, diff, gearbox also.

Not an easy decision for sure for you :?:

If I were in your shoes, I would get rid of it..move on to something else !
If sticking on to Porsche, get a Gen 2 car of some description or a gen 1 Turbo.
If you are in love with it, Hartech option as Cheshire 911 stated.

You should have a borescope done and have that examined by someone who knows what they are doing.

Simply having a build up on one side of the exhaust does not necessarily mean there is a problem. It seems to me that that is the only thing that you are really going on (simply consuming oil well within Porsche's limits does not tell you anything except that it appears to be normal).

Get a borescope done by someone good; some people have had them done and the garage has mistaken normal markings for scoring, taken the engine apart, sent to Hartech and then told there is nothing wrong with them.

I would urge you to just get the scope done before you panic.

Always a difficult one... If the car is the exact specs you wanted and everything else is looking pristine and it does turn out to be bore scoring then it may be a good option to keep and get the work done. When I was looking for my 997 I went for a gen 1 on the idea if it did get bore scored I would more than likely get it fixed and keep it much longer. But until I am in that situation and understand the costs and the resale value it is always difficult to decide.

I always use gut instinct so that what helps me decide.

Good luck with the diagnostics and let us all know how the story unfolds. I am always interested to know what is diagnosed and the associated costs to fix etc.

Make an appointment with Hartech, take a day off work, drive it up to Bolton, get them so have a good look at it and then you can discuss the options. If my 996 gets bore score, I'll get the whole works done on it, and then keep it forever. I've already made that decision if it happens to me, so I won't get stressed when/if it does. Many folk would clean the exhausts, then trade it with a non Porsche dealer, I couldn't do that, I'm too honest.
Good luck with whatever you decide to do OP. :thumb:

:welcome: to the participative side of 911uk. sorry it's under such circumstances.

If the car is one you'd like to keep for a decent amount of time I'd get it inspected and sorted as necessary. A Hartech rebuild would be my choice.

Factor in how much you'd lose by trading it in and the rebuild cost (if it's necessary) won't seem quite so :sad: .

After that relax and enjoy using it smugly knowing that you won't aren't suffering from the paranoia that blights so many 996 and 997.1 owners.

Good luck :thumb:

+911. know exactly what's going on before making a decision. get the borroscope done.

StephenS1 said:
You should have a borescope done and have that examined by someone who knows what they are doing.

I would urge you to just get the scope done before you panic.

Get a scope done yesterday by a pro that knows what they are looking at.

If its worse case then get the business done and rebuild that lump to the nines. Keep and enjoy for several years.

There you go, thats my plan of attack should the dreaded borescore plague my blue lovely

on day one of ownership , did you have a rough idea how long you would be keeping the car anyway ?.

A rebuild is a lot of money but at least you know you have dealt with the worst repair of all.

Conversely , Selling a lemon will hurt your wallet and then buying into something else willl also be costly.

All the best and keep us posted

cheshire911 said:
Distance should not affect where you take it. Your car can be trailered to anywhere (including Hartech)

Could not agree more.. especially with reports of cars not rebuilt properly the first time which leads to double the cost.

Shurv said:
Make an appointment with Hartech, take a day off work, drive it up to Bolton, get them so have a good look at it and then you can discuss the options. If my 996 gets bore score, I'll get the whole works done on it, and then keep it forever. I've already made that decision if it happens to me, so I won't get stressed when/if it does. Many folk would clean the exhausts, then trade it with a non Porsche dealer, I couldn't do that, I'm too honest.
Good luck with whatever you decide to do OP. :thumb:

:yeah: This is exactly how I view my car and how i would remedy the situation if it arises.

Thanks all - it's a tough one as been thinking all afternoon what else I'd want - guess you weigh up the cost of rebuild about putting into a new car - I'm lucky the cash exists although I'd rather not spend it on a new car......M3 or RS5 spring to mind but the Audi in my eyes was a little dull.

I'd hope to keep car longer term as changed jobs not so long and now do hardly any miles, heart says keep it but head says get rid.......I do see the point that if I get it fixed if it is indeed scored then I know the history and should have a few years of good motoring.

Anyone recommend a good outfit to do the scope in beds, Herts, cambs or bucks?

Thanks again for all the advice / comments - good bunch here

ndobson4 said:
Anyone recommend a good outfit to do the scope in beds, Herts, cambs or bucks?

RPM Technik just outside Cheddington.

Chris.

Another vote for RPM Technik.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mkrt1972
Back