Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

964 parts on a 993 & engine mounts

DYFAN

Hi all,

Just noticed the engine mounts on my 993 have a part number beginning with 964...It's an Aug '94 car, just wondering if it would have left the factory like this? They are clearly interchangeable as they work fine, is it likely they just used surplus parts, or maybe more likely they have been replaced at some point perhaps.

When accelerating hard and coming off the throttle sharply I can hear the load come off the engine by a very small 'thunk' sound. It doesn't sound bad (and only happens when I try and make it happen) but is this normal or an indicator that replacement mounts are needed soon?

thanks.

DYFAN said:
Hi all,

Just noticed the engine mounts on my 993 have a part number beginning with 964...It's an Aug '94 car, just wondering if it would have left the factory like this? They are clearly interchangeable as they work fine, is it likely they just used surplus parts, or maybe more likely they have been replaced at some point perhaps.

When accelerating hard and coming off the throttle sharply I can hear the load come off the engine by a very small 'thunk' sound. It doesn't sound bad (and only happens when I try and make it happen) but is this normal or an indicator that replacement mounts are needed soon?

thanks.

Hi DYFAN,

Yep 964.... was the part number on my old mounts and my car is a July 1995 model. I've attached a pic of the original mounts and the C4 ones that I fitted to replace the old ones. The C4 ones are cheaper than the C2 and its seems most owners go down this route.

ATB :)

Attachments

• engine_mount_153.jpg
    engine_mount_153.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 1,502
  • mounts_195.jpg
    mounts_195.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 1,502
Hi decgraham, Thanks very much for the info. The original ones you have pictured have identical markings to mine :thumbs:

Hi

The early 993 engines have the 964 sproket arrangemnent which is superior to the later 993's, so not everything on the 993 was superior to the 964.

I only mention it as a point of interest.

All the best

Berni

Bernie - can you expand on that, please? Superior in what way? Thanks!

DYFAN said:

thanks.

Thats not your engine mounts. I'd suggest its either slack in the drive shafts, possibly a worn out DMF or gearbox mount.

Others are not totally convinced (but if I pulled my finger out and installed the lightweight flywheel I have in the shed I'd know) that's it's the DMF, but that's what Autofarms prognosis was, and I'm assuming they know their stuff.

Mine (and many more 993s) does it and it made no difference when I replaced my mounts and my mounts were 115k miles old and very worn. Gear change and pull off were much improved though. Well worth replacing.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Camarocane
Back