Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Scottish Highlands and hebrides trip

ChrisT70

Albert Park
my first proper road trip will be to Skye and the Hebrides area but in all honesty i would love some advice as to routes/roads and where to stop during the week. this will be my first decent trip in the 993. also thinking of taking some of the ferries and wondered if its ok in my car?
any advice appreciated, nothing booked as yet.

You have to fit in the road to Applecross , lunch at the Inn . During your tour Don,t be tempted with some of the smaller Ferries like Glenelg to Sky as the Porsche could be a tad to low. So many fantastic places to visit I am sure you will have a great time.

edge said:
You have to fit in the road to Applecross , lunch at the Inn . During your tour Don,t be tempted with some of the smaller Ferries like Glenelg to Sky as the Porsche could be a tad to low. So many fantastic places to visit I am sure you will have a great time.

Mallaig to Amadale ok? Was thinking about that one tbh to skye and back via bridge to Applecross

ChrisT70 said:
edge said:

Mallaig to Amadale ok? Was thinking about that one tbh to skye and back via bridge to Applecross
Mallaig is a proper ferry so that will be fine , your going to have a brilliant trip . I have a week or two touring in Scotland every year , I never tire of the place .
Enjoy yourself

I was there.

Preen there, done that.

It's awesome.

DONT miss Applecross.

...... shame the car carrying overnight train is no longer in existence ....... :(

Plan as it stands is as follows:
5-6hr drive to loch lomond and a hotel. 2 nights in that area visit luss, inverary etc. Then to mallaig area with an overnight there before morning crossing to Skye on the Ferry. 2 nights on Skye at the Broadford hotel which looks nice. Explore skye and sight see. Then i need to work out one more night somewhere near possibly Fort Augustus or Bun Loyne possibly which will be reachable in one day to include the Applecross loop and a run up to Kinlochewe and Achnasheen , Garve, then back down towards loch ness and maybe Fort William. I've not driven that area and i dont want to take on too much in one days driving.
What would be feasible if we left skye at say 9-10am do you think? Any suggestions where to stay?

Then the last leg might be one last night somewhere closer to the border as its too long a drive back in one day really from Fort William area to home at around 8hrs. Would prefer to leave myself with a 5hr drive so maybe final night near bottom of loch lomond.

Am taking the old dear with me so dont want to have more than 5 hrs driving a day ifeally but desperate to have a good potter around after Applecross.

Suggestions welcome

When you go to Mallaig you will travel through Glencoe which , if you not driven through before is stunning. Once at fort William on the road to Inverness you should turn left to Mallaig 😀 . Loads of lovely driving where you run close to the railway that carries the steam train over the huge arched bridge that was made famous in the Harry Potter film . Loch Lomond to Mallaig is a fair drive but very enjoyable. Skye has plenty to see with some lovely driving. On the way back From Sky via the bridge you should be able to do Applecross and get back to either Glenmoriston or Fort Augustus for tea. I am up at the end of this Month so talking to you about your trip is getting me excited, I love driving in the Highlands .
All the best

Last little bit sorted. The Inch Hotel at Fort Augustus will be an overnight base so we get two days in and around. Wife wants to see Ben Nevis and Glencoe plus Loch Ness. Final night back At base of Loch Lomond then home next day.

Gonna have to try and restrain myself regarding speeds as already on 6 points following a" slight " incident in my Sunbeam Lotus. Some of the above roads policed with unmarked bikes /cars apparently

You will be fine when you get to the highlands.

The roads are deserted.

When you off?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
briant1000
Back