Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

New owner performance upgrade advise please ;-)

Matty996

Firstly hello,
I'm new to the forum and after starting to read through the thousands of old posts I thought it would be better to ask a fresh.
I have been use too big power turbo rice rockets for the last 10 years but pick up my new 3.6 996 C2 on Sunday and want to know the best performance upgrades available for the money?
I'm so noob to the whole 911 scene it's my old man who's converted me from him being a 911 owner the last 10 years ;-)
I'm looking for the biggest bang for my buck (but not literally) so exhaust, new ecu, re-map, induction?
What is actually worth doing guys?
Any advise and experience highly appreciated ;-)

Matty996 said:
Firstly hello,
I'm new to the forum and after starting to read through the thousands of old posts I thought it would be better to ask a fresh.
I have been use too big power turbo rice rockets for the last 10 years but pick up my new 3.6 996 C2 on Sunday and want to know the best performance upgrades available for the money?
I'm so noob to the whole 911 scene it's my old man who's converted me from him being a 911 owner the last 10 years ;-)
I'm looking for the biggest bang for my buck (but not literally) so exhaust, new ecu, re-map, induction?
What is actually worth doing guys?
Any advise and experience highly appreciated ;-)

Hi Matty and welcome to the forum. NA Porsches are the wrong car for you if tuning and big power hikes are your game. I, like you, and I'm sure many others here, have come from the Jap tuning scene. Big power turbo's are a completely different kettle of fish. The 996 C2 is a great car straight out of the box. I would get one with a PSE fitted then fit some 200cel cats and also do a diode snip whilst there. That's it for the exhaust. Next up just a simple BMC panel filter and CAI. A 997 SSK. There really is no need to do anything else for performance. Just make sure your stock suspension components are all in good order and enjoy.

Your on a loser trying to tune pretty much any NA car for power, as above plus suspension and brakes and get some weight out of it OR save for a turbo :?:

JohnnyDangerous said:
Your on a loser trying to tune pretty much any NA car for power, as above plus suspension and brakes and get some weight out of it OR save for a turbo :?:

+1

Though a well sorted NA car with a lightweight spec is no shabby piece of kit :grin:

I wouldn't want a lightweight NA 996 with well sorted suspension behind me on a twisty B Road.... :oops:

Thx ela, guys for the feedback, I'll do the basics and enjoy I think.
Would love a turbo but my bank account thinks differently to me....lol

Matty996 said:
What coil overs would u recommend guys?

Bilstein and some ARB's with sticky tyres.

I have KW v3 and am very happy with them ! :thumb:

i dont agree with this guys, and can speak from experience,
firstly its never going to get power increases or effect as a TT, but with sports exhaust K&N filter, sorted induction, sports cats, bigger injectors/fuel pump and a sprint booster with a good remap you can see great gains
i have 357bhp and my car is no slouch.
junk the ridiculous tomb stone seats with all there heavy motors, paddle shift steering wheel and
coupled with Gambella suspension, im happy with the way she performs.

After starting to research this for hours last night and speaking to an old friend who's helped me out on all my builds, I've decided to challenge myself and attempt to gain some decent power increases.
Cars booked in next weekend for a run on the dyno to see what bhp I'm actually running from stock and get a base line.
I don't have a huge budget as this cars just wiped me out but I'm looking to spend about 4k.
Plan of attack is :
Swap out the stock ecu for a syvecs stand alone unit (so we can fully remap)
Get a custom built exhaust with possibility of a complete decat system.
Sort the induction out.
Lighten the car.
I'm going to be aiming to increase the power to around the 400bhp mark.
My guy who does the syvecs has worked on a lot of N/A engines like TVR's Tuscan for example, with some awesome results, with just the remaps alone he was seeing massive power increases from stock, well over 50bhp.
Will be interesting to see what the stock inj and fuel pump will achieve after the remap.
I'll keep you posted on how it all goes as its done, im going to just enjoy the car to start with then let the fun and games begin ;-)

Who is going to map the syvecs dude? IMO I think your going the wrong way with it, the Syvecs is going to take a big chunk of your budget with only a little gain to show, the stock ecu is remappable and that leaves a big chunk of money to spend on other improvements that will make a difference, just my opinion of course and I DO run a Syvecs ecu :?:

Good luck with getting 400bhp. I'd go for tidying up the breathing, then changing the suspension and getting the chassis set up for your driving style. There's little gains vs spend from conventional tuning, Porsche pretty much got it right. If outright bhp is your goal, not sure you've bought the right car. Chassis tuning is the way to go with these.
On the other hand, save another £4k and fit a supercharger, now you're talking. Turbo levels of power and torque, and still a great exhaust noise the turbo doesn't have. :D :thumb:

There is a supercharger kit available :?:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Timjar
Back