Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

How long does you battery last if you dont use the car much?

gerlewis

Monza
Everytime I need to use the 911, its dead, so I have to jump it!

I am not sure if its because I only do about 4-10 miles twice a week,
or if my battery has issues.

What is the general consensus?

Do these draw heavy loads - I notice the alarm and radio are constantly flashing. And its not getting long run outs (1hour plus) to really stoke the battery.

Depends on your battery age, condition, temperature etc.

You really need to drive it a good 30 mins once a week, or put it on a battery conditioner. If it's still going flat then you can start checking what's drawing the power.

Something isn't right.

I usually use mine every other day (40 mile round trip at least), with downtime when i'm away working / holiday for a couple of weeks max. Never used a conditioner or charger.

Just got back from a week away and it fired up on the button. Do you have aftermarket accessories fitted (radio etc) that you can disconnect? Might be a dyeing battery - what was it like over winter in the cold weather?

If you only drive it 4-10 miles a week you need a push bike not a 911 :D

I have only owned the car for about 6 weeks.

I am thinking of popping out to buy a trickle charger today, then once fully charged using it as normal and seeing if it happens again.

From memory, the left hand charge dial on the dash cluster reads at just under 14v when driving.

Ok,
Just went and purchased a trickle charger.

Was about to fit it to each terminal, but the instructions state:

"When charging a battery that has not been removed from the vehicle, first attach the charging clamp to the battery terminal that is not electrically connected to the vehicle chassis. Make the other connection to the chassis at a location away from the battery and fuel line"

Has anyone else dealt with this, and which terminal and where on the car did you decide to fix the clamps?

Ger

:sad:

anyone else?

gerlewis said:
:sad:

anyone else?

Had this problem with mine recently its fairly easy to track down the drain with a multimeter. Mine was draining almost 1 amp/hour which was far too much. Turned out the ignition live and perm live were wired the wrong way to the head unit.

With that my battery lasted about a day before being flat. Now It will last months just sitting there without issue.

Dont let them cob webs gather . A highly precision tool like a 911 can and probably will be in need of more repair if its not used enough .

Get out there sunday 7am and give the poor thing a blast.

You need a conditioner, ctek or the like, and you need to leave it plugged in when the car is not used.

Nothing else will work properly. Do this and you battery will last years.

Senoj said:
You need a conditioner, ctek or the like, and you need to leave it plugged in when the car is not used.

Nothing else will work properly. Do this and you battery will last years.

+1 :thumb:

gerlewis said:
"When charging a battery that has not been removed from the vehicle, first attach the charging clamp to the battery terminal that is not electrically connected to the vehicle chassis. Make the other connection to the chassis at a location away from the battery and fuel line"

This is just an old fashioned safety measure when gasses came out of the battery and could explode when a charger is connected and a spark can ignite the gasses.

'The battery terminal that is not connected to the chassis' is +ve

Just connect it across the battery terminals but as someone said above 'should've bought a ctek' tbh.

Mine get flat after 8/10 days.

A simple "rule of thumb" is, it takes 15 minutes of average driving to replace the energy that your battery used to start the car.
Constant short trips will kill your battery very quickly. I drained mine the other day while adjusting the soft top straps :sad:

CTEK.

And, since the battery's having problems in May, it ain't going to do well next winter, CTEK or not, so you might as well buy a new one now.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DD77
Back