Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Transmission mount queries - 996.2 manual

paul_mck

Hi all in an effort to find my knocking noise I turned to the transmission mount. Ive already replaced both engine mounts so it seemed a logical enough place to look.

I removed the undertray and had a poke with a screwdriver. I can wiggle the box from side to side quite easily, even with my hands and wonder is this normal? It was on a jack/stands so I didnt want to shake it too hard to try to replicate the knocking.

Also while in there I noticed rubber pads in between the mount and the carrier. uh oh I thought someone has been in and tried to reinforce it, but they seem too well fitted to be a bodge. After some reading I found these which seem to match up. All that does is confuse me more as that should make the mount a lot stiffer Id have thought.

Lastly if I fit an aftermarket mount can I drop the front of the box enough to cut out the old mount and insert a new poly mount? Or is it really a box out job?

Thanks.

996.png

actually looking on PET there are two rubber "packing plates" which is what I have. Part #3 here:

996_2005_3_06_306-00.jpg

Have a google around but I'm pretty sure that one is very difficult to replace.

You could cut it out with a hacksaw if theres access but I don't know how you would press a new one in unless you can get a polybush or similar that will go in easier.

Might be a good excuse to drop the box and attend to clutch/RMS/IMSB.

Or you could try those aftermarket bush "packers" you showed at first, might stiffen an old worn mount up enough.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlas.997
Back