Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

The time has come... (My European Road Trip)

penelson

No not to sell it...:floor:

to use it.. :D

After replacing all the suspension and bushings, engine mounts, seat and interior refurb, wheel refurb from exel and full geo at 9m in the end the car is driving excellently and ready to go.

So on Friday SWMBO and I are off to the North of Italy in her. Our route is Hull to Rotterdam on the overnight ferry, Cologne, Stuttgart, Innsbruck, Arabba in the Dolomites, round to the Great lakes of Como and Garda and back up through the Black forest and ending up in Oberhausen to visit friends before returning...

I'll take plenty of pictures on route and hopefully get chance to update this thread while away. I can't promise though as I'll most likely be having too much fun driving her.

Now I just need Friday to hurry up and get here. :thumbs:

What a great itinerary - please keep us updated with plenty of photos. I take it the Porsche museum in Stuttgart is on the cards? :thumbs:

What a great trip ........ I did similar a few years back but the Dolomites I had to give a miss as I shed a bearing on my alternator and was stuck in Bolsano for a few days while I had it fixed ....... mind you I had a very pleasant few days there ....... :)

Have fun ........ :)

Yes Tombri, the Porsche museum is on the cards :D

It should be a great trip, I just hope the weather improves and as we are quite early in the year I think a few of the passes will be closed...

That route looks fantastic.........very jealous!

Must make time for a trip like this........looking forward to updates :thumbs:

penelson said:
It should be a great trip, I just hope the weather improves and as we are quite early in the year I think a few of the passes will be closed...

We drove down to Italy through Switzerland in May three years ago, en route to the Monaco GP. None of the passes were open and we had to go through the Gotthard tunnel. :sad: My understanding is that although the roads may be clear, there's still a risk of avalanches higher up the mountains.

Coming home via the Route Napoleon eased the pain somewhat :D

Have a great trip.

Just got back from Garda - we took my mother - 80th birthday! I was banned from discussing (one sided) how long it would have taken me to drive down & how it would have been a good idea to let wife & mother fly.
In summary – jealous – enjoy!

I'm just going in the opposite direction en route to the UK (Lake Garda at present)....just a warning, there was seasonally very late snow today over the passes between Italy and Austria/Germany so watch the weather forecast....Brenner Pass for me tomorrow - snow?!! - say a prayer as I'm used to Cote D'Azur sunshine! Hopefully see you somewhere in the Black Forest blasting past on the other side of the road.

We could possible meet up Riviera Bob if we end up close to one another (not in an internet dating kind of way)

Enjoy the pass and let me know what its like...

Yes I have seen to snow, quite a lot of it as well... Could be interesting!

But as I only got to go skiing once this winter and was planning a day on one of the Austrian or Italian Glaciers its not a bad thing. :D

Uncanny! I'm setting off to Tuscany next week via Stuttgart (and the museum of course)

My plan was to go via the Stelvio pass as well but it is shut from what I understand which is very frustrating

Any tips on good routes from Stuttgart to Tuscanny much appreciated. Currently considering what the OP is suggesting and going via Como etc but open to suggestions

Looking forward to putting some miles on the car!

Cheers all

Enjoy Thafrix,

The weather looks to be improving so its up to the guys that clear the roads if they want to get them open. Keep check the alpine passes websites to see where you can get through.

From Stuttgart you have to head back out to the black forest and B500 or head over Innsbruck way for some good roads. A quick google will give you ideas.

I'll be visiting the museum on the 26th May if randomly anyone is there....

Thanks Penelson - am really looking forward to it as I'm sure you are too

Will send pics as I go along!

Amazing - on this day last year we were on our way to Stuttgart, having crossed to Rotterdam. Even if you don't stay at the incomparable V8 Hotel near the Merc factory, the adjacent Motorworld complex is worth a visit.
Continued down via Switzerland to the Concorso d'Eleganza at Villa d'Este (well Villa Erba next door where the poor can see the same cars) and stayed at Menaggio on Lake Como.
Plenty of snow over the Gotthard but road clear and coming back a week later the Stelvio was open; only problem was the Giro d'Italia coming the other way, so we had to take a different route over to St Anton. It was snowing and foggy right on the top.
Have a great trip - we must get to the Dolomites some time, but the next 993 trip for us is Madrid in July.

Bah! Who needs all those modern electronic driver aids?

Brenner Pass....

No snow on road but plenty of rain - last year's suspension set up by Centre of Gravity was worth every penny as no dramas!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlas.997
Back