Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 turbo buyers guide/500bhp club?/200mph club?

big-pete

think its time to start saving for a proper car,

currently own and love my Seat Bocanegra,(1.4 Turbo+Supercharged 200bhp DSG(pdk) beasty) but its time i got back into something fast, its time for a porker,

I love the shape of the 996, especially the turbo, and i cant justify owning a carrera(im a boost junkie) plus i never half arse these things,

so question: 500bhp/500Ftlbs in a Turbo, exhuast/air filter/FMIC?/remap,clutch? what else would i need?
Short shifter?(dont want a tippy)
brake? - best pad/disc combo? (upgrade to bigger?)
Suspension? - (im going to run coilovers, either KW/billys) suggestions?
bushes/arbs/handling?

i want to hit a few track days, and not worry about the car, and i want it to go around corners like its on rails, my current car (boc) is setup to corner flat and fast, and is a serious B-road abuser, and i like to have confidence in the car.

Tyres- Currently have Yoko parada Spec 2s on my daily, but id only be running the porker at weekends/special occasions so something grippier ?? AD08RS? suggestions?

and is there a buyers guide anywhere? ad a tunning guide??

basically- make it handle better, and be as much fun as possible.(plus 500bhp would be awesome)

Cheers in advance lads

Pete

ps-2am just finished a load of work, sorry if none of this makes sense

(i was looking at a caymanS before, but just cant justify it as i love the 996T so much more.)

:welcome: to 911uk

There's quite a few tuned 996T owners on here so you should fit in nicely.

Whilst you're waiting for them to introduce themselves use the 'Search Forum' function, keying the user 996ttalot and you'll have plenty of interesting posts to read.

eg. ==> http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=103228&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

996ttalot is Ken Napier from 9excellence. 9e are one of the recognised 'go to' outfits for Porsche Turbos - especially the 996 & 997.

Hi, welcome.

Can't speak for the 996 as such as I own a 997, but it would be pretty easy to get approx 500hp from a 996 Turbo. Stock they are 420hp so I would imagine a remap, larger intercoolers, air filter and exhaust would be all you would need. You wouldn't need to upgrade the clutch although in the long run probably better to if you are chasing big power figures.

PS10 Damptronics have the best reviews (that I have seen), and some uprated anti roll bars like H&R should be good (have them on my car).

There are serious tuners for Porsches like 9e and DMS who will get your car to pretty much whatever power you want.

Tyres would be Michelin Sport 'Cup' 2 or Perelli Pzero

T8 said:
:welcome: to 911uk

There's quite a few tuned 996T owners on here so you should fit in nicely.

Whilst you're waiting for them to introduce themselves use the 'Search Forum' function, keying the user 996ttalot and you'll have plenty of interesting posts to read.

eg. ==> http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=103228&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

996ttalot is Ken Napier from 9excellence. 9e are one of the recognised 'go to' outfits for Porsche Turbos - especially the 996 & 997.

cheers buddy, sounds perfect,

you a kent lad aswell? im in canterbury,

cheers for the warm welcome. :)

nother quick question, difference between the X50 and the standard turbo, 30bhp?! anything else?

Nope, no others differences other than that 30 bhp. WRONG

EDIT: Sorry, Brain fade. See info below

Small world. My family on both sides hail from the Canterbury area. I'm in Headcorn these days but all my aunts, uncles, cousins etc are spread between Littlebourne and Ash.

Welcome :welcome:

My understanding is as follows. 470-490BHP is widely claimed from a stock set up with just a remap (JZM's for example). Exhaust, intercoolers and filter changes lead to the next level, say 490 - 530BHP. And all assuming everything is as it should be.

Above that it gets tricky and involves everything from different turbos, fuelling systems and so on. Those who have gone down this route (from 9E amongst others) will be along to discuss what they've had done.

The raw power is only the tip of the iceberg and really only valuable in the pub / bar. It's the way the power is sequenced and delivered that makes the car quick.

But that's my understanding. The details and corrections I'll leave to the experts who'll be along soon.......... :thumb:

EDIT - Don't write off the tip until you've tried both.............

A good remap will make a huge improvement. MRCtuning is the place for a good remap.
No need aftermarket filter for those , box and oem filter are excellent. No gain there.
A good crossflow system with 100 cells is highly recommended.
The stock suspension set up is excellent and more than adequate for occasional track use.
You need top quality tyres on those no cheap ones !!
Lot of power/torque and technologie going through them
Michelin PS2 or quality above.
Brake pads I would go with PFC 08 front and back with better brake fluid.
Girodisc rotors are really good . The slotted one.
Bilstein can refurb the dampers . Make a hell of a difference.
I have done the back so far.
996TT are nearly perfect out of the box. Handling is amazing in stock form.

Be careful.......tuning is a slippery slope. !

Mine is running 500BHP+
DMS tune
997 GT2 intercoolers larger cores
100 cell miltek exhaust
K&N
Forge diverter valves and actuators
Its my first Tiptronic and with this power it compliments the car nicely.
Owned 12 911's GT2/3's etc and this is set up and goes very nicely indeed.

Gt2 Rs intercoolers
Remap
Exhaust with cats
Divertors

Thats about it, not sure it will get you 200mph though

T8 said:
Nope, no others differences other than that 30 bhp.

Small world. My family on both sides hail from the Canterbury area. I'm in Headcorn these days but all my aunts, uncles, cousins etc are spread between Littlebourne and Ash.

30 bhp is not the only difference is it!!

Porsche charged ££££ for this as an option!!!

X50 has stonger gearbox, bigger turbos, "improved" I/C,
Different oil pump.
Technicaly impossible to fit FMI on 996 TT I am afraid.

wow loads of info! brilliant!!

ok power aside i will be throwing out all the old suspention stuff and changing it for either some nice KW coilovers or some billsteins, along with bushes and anti roll bars.

tyres: what size are the stock ones?? im getting away with 80quid a corner at the moment on my bocanegra(215/40/17 XL) but suspention/tyres is 1 area i have 0 issue spending vast amounts of mullah.

any buyers guides online??

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

My brand new clutch lasted not even 1000 miles when we remapped the car, it had 540 ft lbs torque, likewise the replacement 890nm Sachs cried no more when we mapped the car and got over 850nm at the wheels, if your going to remap and drive it like I imagine you will need a 890nm Sachs in it, I dont know what your budget is but Id say you would love k16 billets, injectors and a remap with a decent exhaust and 100 or 200 cel cats, decent alignment and sticky tyres. My fav mod is that I swapped to standalone ecu and I have far superior TC as well as Launch Control and anti-lag and 12 diff switchable maps.
But beware the more power you want the cost rises exponentially, I just fitted a clutch that if you buy new from the states is $4500 + shipping etc !!!!

I know naff all about upgrading my car rushed in and purchased some kk24 750 bhp rated hybrid turbos and am not even sure if this is the route that I want to be going

Would like to get a good map for my car but not even sure where I should go for this

Spoke with JZM and they quoted £1555 pluss the vat then end on the interweb that some people really were not happy with the map

Spoke to 9e and now even more confused lol

Search 996 turbo map and MRC Tuning get some good reviews

Is a map going to be worth it and how do I know I am getting a good one

Talk about a fool ---> "me " and his money

Ps anyone want some cheep turbos !!!!

Gary

JohnnyDangerous said:
My brand new clutch lasted not even 1000 miles when we remapped the car, it had 540 ft lbs torque, likewise the replacement 890nm Sachs cried no more when we mapped the car and got over 850nm at the wheels, if your going to remap and drive it like I imagine you will need a 890nm Sachs in it, I dont know what your budget is but Id say you would love k16 billets, injectors and a remap with a decent exhaust and 100 or 200 cel cats, decent alignment and sticky tyres. My fav mod is that I swapped to standalone ecu and I have far superior TC as well as Launch Control and anti-lag and 12 diff switchable maps.
But beware the more power you want the cost rises exponentially, I just fitted a clutch that if you buy new from the states is $4500 + shipping etc !!!!

power is always last on the list of things to do to the car dude,

what we talking about tyres tho?
sizes??

and oil changes? im doing mine every 7500miles at the moment, and as the turbo will be a second/weekend car it won see many miles.

on that note oil: whats it use/quantaty?
spark plugs: which ones? how often
any other service bits i should be doing frequently??

if i go more power ill take it to 9e and have a chat with em,

had a look on APRs website, they recon with a remap thell see 485bhp/499ftlbs BUUT they charge over 2G for a remap!!!! thats nucking futts!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alanjf
Back