Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 Turbo Owners - Warm up & Cool down question ??

cheekyone

Silverstone
Warm up & Cool down question to other 996 Turbo owners :-

1) Do you allways 100% before every single trip/drive switch the car on & let idle until warm before pulling away ? (1a - If so what temperature or how long do you let car idle for before pulling away ?)

2) Do you allways 100% after every single trip/drive when car has stopped let the car idle for full 2 mins before switching of ? Or do you only do this after a spirited drive ?

Curious to know what people's views/opinions are on the importance of the above ? & to what extent you currently carry out 1) & 2) ?

1 yes
2 nearly
after a drive 15 secs at 1500 rpm let it come back to idle and turn of .if i do this it does not smoke on start up next time

I never warm up, just keep it below 4k until up to temperature. Always leave it on idle for a bit when stopping. Never timed it though, but prob a minute or so. Having said that, I skip it if I'm at a petrol station as I'd feel a bit of a berk...

There is a great little trick to use to ensure your turbo is ready for a bit of fun.

Start the car, don't leave it standing at idle for too long as its when the valve train is under most strain. Drive off, just keep the revs down below 4k & don't use any boost, or labour the engine at low RPM. Fastest warm up occurs between 2-3k with the engine under light load.

Anyway, once you are moving, if you try to check the oil level using the computer, you get the message "measurement not possible until engine warmed up" . If you keep an eye on your water temp gauge, it should sit on 80 degrees pretty much bang on, maybe a needles width to the right. This still does not show that the oil is warm yet, however, check your oil level again as you are moving, and once the oil is up to temperature, the message changes from "measurement not possible until engine warmed up" to "measurement only possible with vehicle stopped" :thumb:

I use this method every time I drive the car, great way to ensure your water & oil are at the correct operating temp before engaging hyperdrive :bye:

Cool down, best method is to always drive the last few miles off boost & gentle on the revs, and gentle on the brakes, your car will cool down much better with airflow through the various rads/coolers/ brakes etc than just sitting stationary heat soaking everything! I usually idle for 30secs or so after arrival before switching off, any more & it just heats everything up more IMHO...I also use this idle time to check the oil level after every trip, no nasty surprises then before the next drive :thumbs:

RWD_cossie_wil said:
There is a great little trick to use to ensure your turbo is ready for a bit of fun.

Start the car, don't leave it standing at idle for too long as its when the valve train is under most strain. Drive off, just keep the revs down below 4k & don't use any boost, or labour the engine at low RPM. Fastest warm up occurs between 2-3k with the engine under light load.

Anyway, once you are moving, if you try to check the oil level using the computer, you get the message "measurement not possible until engine warmed up" . If you keep an eye on your water temp gauge, it should sit on 80 degrees pretty much bang on, maybe a needles width to the right. This still does not show that the oil is warm yet, however, check your oil level again as you are moving, and once the oil is up to temperature, the message changes from "measurement not possible until engine warmed up" to "measurement monly possible with vehicle stopped" :thumb:

I use this method every time I drive the car, great way to ensure your water & oil are at the correct operating temp before engaging hyperdrive :bye:

Cool down, best method is to always drive the last few miles off boost & gentle on the revs, and gentle on the brakes, your car will cool down much better with airflow through the various rads/coolers/ brakes etc than just sitting stationary heat soaking everything! I usually idle for 30secs or so after arrival before switching off, any more & it just heats everything up more IMHO...I also use this idle time to check the oil level after every trip, no nasty surprises then before the next drive :thumbs:

What he says^^^ I don't warm up at stand still as you'll have cold transmission oil against a warm engine which surely can not be a good thing.

Having pitched up at the Supercar Siege yesterday and spent the day parked behind a row of Ferraris, this made me chuckle. (In a good way!)

1) Switch on, drive it without revving till it allows oil level measurement (mentioned above), then drive like you stole it.
2) Nothing special. Sure if you've been thrashing it you might want to, but typically its the time it takes to park.

Simples because they're that well made.

Versus.......the convoluted machinations of those who were parked in front of us arriving and setting off :roll:

The 996 turbo, a Supercar you can use everyday. :thumb: :grin:

New996buyer said:
till it allows oil level measurement (mentioned above)

Another way is to get to know your oil pressure gauge's typical readings and work to that. Seeing that you're sitting at 1bar over your usual hot idle value is a good indicator that your oil isn't up to temp properly yet.

RWD_cossie_wil said:
There is a great little trick to use to ensure your turbo is ready for a bit of fun .........

:thumb: I wonder where you learned of it :?:

==> Warming up a 996T

Indeed, that's where I remember it from. :thumb:

T8 said:
RWD_cossie_wil said:
There is a great little trick to use to ensure your turbo is ready for a bit of fun .........

:thumb: I wonder where you learned of it :?:

==> Warming up a 996T

Yup, this forum has saved me £1000s & taught me some great tips :thumb:

New996buyer said:
Having pitched up at the Supercar Siege yesterday and spent the day parked behind a row of Ferraris, this made me chuckle. (In a good way!)

1) Switch on, drive it without revving till it allows oil level measurement (mentioned above), then drive like you stole it.
2) Nothing special. Sure if you've been thrashing it you might want to, but typically its the time it takes to park.

Versus.......the convoluted machinations of those who were parked in front of us arriving and setting off :roll:

Please explain was the Feza lot a right fussy bunch then

New996buyer said:

Since this double posted, ill add my bit, i drive off in either after about 30 seconds to a minute

Cooling down is just a matter of , taking it very easy and some coasting for the last 1 to 2 miles on the home journey.

cheekyone said:
Warm up & Cool down question to other 996 Turbo owners :-

1) Do you allways 100% before every single trip/drive switch the car on & let idle until warm before pulling away ? (1a - If so what temperature or how long do you let car idle for before pulling away ?)

The manual actually says you shouldn't do this.

Boba fett said:

They were a well coordinated bunch, I'll give them that. Branded hats, polo shirts, jackets, watches and so on. Fussy? Can't comment as they didn't speak to us as far as I could see :dont know:

But it was the palaver when they left that made me chuckle. Us? Jump in, turn key, drive off.

Them? Walk round. Inspect. Climb in. Turn on. Rev a bit. Wait. Rev Rev a bit more. Wait. More revs. Wait. Crawl forward. Wait. More revs. And so on.

Sorry and no offense to Ferrari lovers but I couldn't be axxed with that. I can't believe the driving experience could be that good for that level of faff :dont know:

New996buyer said:
Boba fett said:

They were a well coordinated bunch, I'll give them that. Branded hats, police shirts, jackets, watches and so on. Fussy? Can't comment as they didn't speak to us as far as I could see :dont know:

But it was the palaver when they left that made me chuckle. Us? Jump in, turn key, drive off.

Them? Walk round. Inspect. Climb in. Turn on. Rev a bit. Wait. Rev Rev a bit more. Wait. More revs. Wait. Crawl forward. Wait. More revs. And so on.

Sorry and no offense to Ferrari lovers but I couldn't be axxed with that. I can't believe the driving experience could be that good for that level of faff :dont know:

I wish I had stayed just to see it

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
barrywhite
Back