Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Brake dust ARGHHHHH

kurlykris

Singapore
I`m sick and tired that every time that I take the Porsche out for a run, even for 5 minutes, the wheels need cleaning and let the car down terribly.
So, in my infiinate search for a better world, I`ve decided to try an experiment, albeit on the daily driver first !
I bought some 3 In One Silicone lubricant, fast drying, and have just coated the drivers side wheels with it, using a sponge of course so as to not get it on the brake disks and whatnot.( after a good wash of course )
This way I can compare the passenger side wheels after a few days driving and a few hundred miles, then see how much easier they are to clean :thumb:

Or if the laquer comes off :floor:

Are you using stock pads ? Stock pads are normally ok. Only sport pads are an issue for dust and some of them are very corrosive

To be honest, I have no idea which pads are in, as I bought the car with them fitted, so probably stock. Although she is ready for a disk/pad change all round in the next few weeks, so will fit stock Sebro disks and pads from ECP.

I have the same problem on both cars though, brake dust and muck just seems to stick to my wheels like the proverbial sh@t to a blanket, so am just trying to make cleaning them a little easier and less frequently required :sad:

Use IronX to clean your rims . It will remove brake dust. Product is use by people who do trackdays and use racing pads.
I use it myself and it is magic

Porsche Technical Dept have a fix for brake dust.

It's called PCCB

Love it. :lol:

Just not looking forward to a brake rebuild!

When I had all 4 wheels refurbed last year, the advice I was given was to avoid using any commercial wheel cleaner products and instead just hot soapy water and a microfibre mitt. The lacquer should mean that the brake dust easily washes off.

If you want to coat them with anything use something like Collinite 476S wax applied on the inside of the wheels to put a wax barrier on top of the lacquer.

My solution is a 3 prong attak

1) buy a set of wheel woolies

2) I used to clean with power max alloy wheel stain and mark remover only if they were very bad if not then use An APC

3 ) seal with planet polish wheel seal and shine

I have also just had my wheels refurbished and have sailed them so now it is just a case of giving them a wash with very mild car shampoo or apc (all purpose cleaner)

I have also just invested in a pair of Di filter vessels I live in a very hard water area and now I can enjoy washing the car in direct sunlight and leaving it to dry naturally without any water spots 😜😙😙😙

Very quick to clean the wheels now

For years I have always used Autoglym Alloy Wheel Seal after washing, a spray can lasts for ages as you don't really need much.

A few months ago I used some of my mates "Mint Rims" which is a hardish wax polish that you wipe on and buff off. This is meant to last for a few months but I couldn't tell you if it did as I forgot and used the Wheel Seal next time I washed it!

Black wheels mask the problem too!! (Having said that you can still tell they're dirty).

I really wouldn`t like dark wheels on my midnight blue car, am actually thinking of going a little brighter silver with them when I get a refurb as I think that they set the whole car off :dont know:

I`ve tried all of the wheel waxes and gimmiky protectants, yet they still get filthy within seconds of driving :sad:
What I`m looking for is something that stops the dust sticking and being a pain in the ass to wash off, the same thing goes for my daily, 100 miles today and the wheels need a good wash again :nooo: , mind you one of my mates was trying to keep up with me through 30 miles of backroads in his 2.0D Msport Bimmer :floor:

kurlykris said:
I really wouldn`t like dark wheels on my midnight blue car, am actually thinking of going a little brighter silver with them when I get a refurb as I think that they set the whole car off :dont know:

I`ve tried all of the wheel waxes and gimmiky protectants, yet they still get filthy within seconds of driving :sad:
What I`m looking for is something that stops the dust sticking and being a pain in the ass to wash off, the same thing goes for my daily, 100 miles today and the wheels need a good wash again :nooo: , mind you one of my mates was trying to keep up with me through 30 miles of backroads in his 2.0D Msport Bimmer :floor:

Yes I remember I had the same with my old 997 with silver wheels. 10 mile trip down the road and they were noticeably dirty. TBH I just accepted it. As long as it comes off not really a problem. I suspect that you'll have to put up with it, the waxes may reduce it slightly.

Did you get any result from you silicone lube experiment? :?

Wheels will always get dirty
Planet polish wheel seal and shine stops the dust from sticking making it really easy to clean

Try it you will not be disappointed

Good luck

andye456 said:
Did you get any result from you silicone lube experiment? :?

Ohhh Yes

The silicone treated wheels are even dirtier than the non treated wheels, will only know if they are easier to clean when I get the pressure washer back midweek, as it is doing the rounds of friends and family at the mo :?

Gary996 said:
Wheels will always get dirty
Planet polish wheel seal and shine stops the dust from sticking making it really easy to clean

Try it you will not be disappointed

Good luck

Agreed, all we can do is make the wheels easier to clean and clean them off often so it doesn't get a chance to stick too much. I've used chemical guys sealant and also colinite wax and cleaning is easy, usually just a quick power hose and dry does the job, but I'll take a look at that planet polish wheel seal you mention :thumb:

I used auto glym alloy wheel seal for ages but then discovered rim wax - mega stuff ! Don't even use wheel cleaner on the backs now it's that good !

If you use sport pads nothing will stop the dust to stick. PFC's are the worse.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
b8n8tai
Back