Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Nitrogen inflatio , it has made a difference !

Jonathon555

Suzuka
Had A couple of valves replaced today on the rear wheels today.

Noticed they offered Nitrogen inflation for a small cost .

So i give it a whirl .

The car seems to ride a bit firmer , not sure why.

:dont know:

The tyre pressure were 44/36 when i went in, 44/36 when i left.

Has anyone else used this ?

I believe snake oil in the flange shaft regulator increases torque too :dont know:

:yeah:

I've tried it on offer a couple of times, the only thing I physically noticed was that the tyres deflate a bit more slowly.

big fan of nitrogen, there is no temperature fluctuation, or pressure drop.

Unless the tire is fitted and put under a vacuum before being filled with nitrogen , 90 % of what is in the tire will still be normal air so will still expand with heat ?

medicus said:

Really :?

For the most part air is nitrogen. To be specific, about 80% of dry air is made up from nitrogen. In fact both nitrogen and oxygen, the second major component of air that [represents] almost all the [remaining] 20%, behave extremely like ideal gas. Pressures of dry air and pure nitrogen gas at different temperatures, from far below freezing point to above boiling point, have indeed been measured to incredibly high accuracy. The difference between these two gases is below 0.1%. In fact, near room temperature, many types of gas are close to ideal gas and have very similar temperature profiles.

I am not sure why people are comparing nitrogen with water. Water is a minor component of air and its concentration varies so dramatically. However, even in a summer day, at the maximum humidity of 100%, the amount of water in the air is only 10% of that of oxygen [or in other words only 2% of air].

Basically, pressure of nitrogen gas do not fluctuate less with change of temperature compared to normal air.

chimp911 said:
medicus said:

Really :?

For the most part air is nitrogen. To be specific, about 80% of dry air is made up from nitrogen. In fact both nitrogen and oxygen, the second major component of air that [represents] almost all the [remaining] 20%, behave extremely like ideal gas. Pressures of dry air and pure nitrogen gas at different temperatures, from far below freezing point to above boiling point, have indeed been measured to incredibly high accuracy. The difference between these two gases is below 0.1%. In fact, near room temperature, many types of gas are close to ideal gas and have very similar temperature profiles.

I am not sure why people are comparing nitrogen with water. Water is a minor component of air and its concentration varies so dramatically. However, even in a summer day, at the maximum humidity of 100%, the amount of water in the air is only 10% of that of oxygen [or in other words only 2% of air].

Basically, pressure of nitrogen gas do not fluctuate less with change of temperature compared to normal air.

Ive spoken to people who do track days a lot and they reckon that the tyres dont gain pressure as the temp in them goes up.

Nitrogen for aircraft and F1 tyres
Planes fly at heights where temperatures may be as low as -40C. Moisture in the tyres can freeze causing vibration and balance problems when landing. Pure nitrogen is dry so eliminates this problem. Using dried compressed air could achieve the same thing.

In motor sport, the elimination of moisture in tyres through the use of pure nitrogen (or dried compressed air) can help reduce tyre temperature when operating in extreme conditions, close to maximum load/speed.

What we really need are some comparative figures from a controlled test. Until then it remains snake oil... :bandit:

Must be someone here does track days with Nitrogen filled tyres, just measure pressure before and after session.

We also need them to do exactly the same test with regular air filled tyres :thumb:

chimp911 said:
We also need them to do exactly the same test with regular air filled tyres :thumb:

Not really as I can tell you that any car with plain air in the tyres will gain a surprising amount of pressure after a few hot laps, when I was doing lots of track stuff on my bike we would have to drop maybe 10 psi out of the tyres from normal road pressure, just gp on You Tube and look at any top fuel dragster and see how the tyres grow as they do a burnout !! Thats because the pressure is rising in them, we set up quite a lot of race/track cars and tyre pressure varies greatly between hot and cold

chimp911 said:
What we really need are some comparative figures from a controlled test. Until then it remains snake oil... :bandit:

you dont need to do that, as its simple...
if its not for you, or you dont believe there are any benefits, then dont use it.

i notice good benefits, so i use it in my tyres.
:thumb:

I have actually used nitrogen before and I could genuinely feel the difference....in my wallet.

Unless you are flying at 30,000ft or spend most of your day clad in nomex I posit that it makes sod all difference :frustrated:

All this negativity is damaging my aura, now where did I leave my healing stones... :puh:

Nitrogen, there is reduced temperature fluctuation, or pressure drop compared to air.

Question to the OP, was the PSI after what they told you ? or your reading ?
since garage equipment calibration can be different

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DD77
Back