Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

'Clicking' from rear of car after cold start (while moving)

Andyvvc

Nurburgring
The clicking gets quicker as the car gets quicker. If i stop, it stops. If i shift into neutral and rev the engine, the sound does not occur.

I had a clicky-rear-axle in my old 350z (apparently a common quirk with them). Is this a likely issue with the 996T?

A few Rennlist threads suggest CV Joint re-grease or possibly something loose inside a hollow spoke alloy or maybe even a valve-cap not seated fully and so clicking as it 'slips' each time the wheel rotates.

I've checked the vales any they seem tight, so I'm guessing maybe a CV joint? (Or maybe something is loose inside an alloy?) Anyone else ever had this happen?

When you rolling along and it's clicking, try braking lightly and see if it stops. Could be your brakes. If it's not that, then possibly cv joint.

Just to illuminate it as a possibility check your tyre tread for stones.

alex yates said:
When you rolling along and it's clicking, try braking lightly and see if it stops. Could be your brakes. If it's not that, then possibly cv joint.

Lets hope he's not short of a tooth on his diff! :hand:

mcbit said:
alex yates said:

Lets hope he's not short of a tooth on his diff! :hand:

:floor:

I've got a few spare he can have.

:thumb:

Brakes would be my first of call

Sure there is not a stone or some thing stuck one of the discs ?

Try jacking the car up and free turning the wheels

No clicking this morning (after having driven the car last night).

I couldn't see any nail/screw or stone stuck in the tyre or tread yesterday, but it was a shade dark when i checked even with garage and phone lights.

McBit might be right though, the diff might have lost a baby tooth and regrown an adult one over night :grin:

Looks like it was just a stone that i couldn't find. Once again, the old adage: "These cars are made to be driven" rings true. Drove it last night - fixed my problem :thumb:

My guess it will be back in a couple of days and will be your pads slapping (or whatever the term is) between callipers and discs.

Hopefully a stone though

:thumb:

Mine does this when it's been sitting without driving for months at a time. On mine it's the hydraulic tappets as it takes time for the fluid to lube them up again, it's like a medium tapping noise that sounds like its coming from the top of the engine that increases in frequency with revs both at a standstill and when moving. If I sit it on the drive idling it won't go away but after a few miles on the open road the noise disappears.

I found that when my engine was slightly low on hydraulic fluid it would be worse and take longer to go away. It's well worth checking the level of your hydraulic fluid anyway.

My 996.2 C4 Tip S 'clicked' when pulling away, forward or in reverse. I imagined all sorts of reasons and then took it to my local indy. He spent a lot of time on the car, decided it was the rear coffin arms and replaced them. The clicks continued.

So, it went to the OPC. They spent an hour on it for free, but couldn't find the cause and said they'd do one more hour for £100, but, if they couldn't find it, then ...

I didn't find out what the "then" was, because they found the reason. The bolts weren't torqued up enough on ... er ... not sure of the terminology here, but you'll 'know what I mean' ... the mid-body cross-member.

The solution took 30 seconds.

The clicking never came back. It was related to motion (not revs) in my instance. Must have been a stone or something caught in a tyre/brake pad.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lb456
Back