Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 tt timing chain tensioner

petefm10

Trainee
Had a 'rattle' from the rear end recently and thought it may be turbo heat shields or exhaust. It's fine when running cold after start up but the rattle starts when warmed. Took her into Ninemeister and when up on the ramp it seems the right side chain tensioner may be the problem - certainly isn't shields/exhaust.
Has anyone had this issue before? Car has a full history and done 47k miles.

Thanks

You sure it's not just the normal intermediate shaft noise a lot of these cars make as that only starts when the car warms up, although I'd have thought Ninemeister would have ruled that out.

I would suggest you put up a vid so we can have a listen as it's very difficult to diagnose just from a description!!

These engines are not known for chain tensioner problems but of course that doesn't mean you don't have a problem with yours, did Ninemeister suggest removing it and having a look? (don't know if you can remove one without losing the cam timing)

996 TT and 997TT do rattle a lot
They do it less by using 5w40 oil.
Even cars with low mileage do it.
Heard a nearly new 997TT and it was rattling even more than mine.

The noise comes from the tensioner area and is clearly from the right side. This one is easy to replace, the left more difficult. 9m had a stethoscope all round the rear end and the collective opinion was the right side tensioner. When revved above idle the car sounds fine, it's just at idle that the noise appears. It's not a real bang or anything just different from cold to hot running so maybe I'm a bit paranoid.
I could do with listening to another car to compare, anyone in the Keswick area this weekend with a 996tt?

petefm10 said:
The noise comes from the tensioner area and is clearly from the right side. This one is easy to replace, the left more difficult. 9m had a stethoscope all round the rear end and the collective opinion was the right side tensioner. When revved above idle the car sounds fine, it's just at idle that the noise appears. It's not a real bang or anything just different from cold to hot running so maybe I'm a bit paranoid.
I could do with listening to another car to compare, anyone in the Keswick area this weekend with a 996tt?

At idle is it like a metallic knock noise which when you pick up the throttle just a little goes away - like every rotation it is catching on something is that makes sense?

Ken

996ttalot said:
petefm10 said:

At idle is it like a metallic knock noise which when you pick up the throttle just a little goes away - like every rotation it is catching on something is that makes sense?

Ken
It's not sync'ing with engine rotation, more a 'slap'. As the revs pickup slowly the noise goes. That's why, I think, 9m recon/say it's the tensioner.

Well from what i've come across they all make the IMS rattle, some more prominent than others, but the volume of noise does not correspond to a problem, unless that is it suddenly gets a lot louder in a short space of time - correct me if i'm wrong Ken

shantybeater said:
Well from what i've come across they all make the IMS rattle, some more prominent than others, but the volume of noise does not correspond to a problem, unless that is it suddenly gets a lot louder in a short space of time - correct me if i'm wrong Ken

Timing chain noise can range from very low to very high on these cars. Have over 280 turbo cars on our books and frankly the 997 make more noise than the 996 - which is funny since components were changed in the 997 to reduce the noise.

Frankly I wouldn't worry about it. The chain adjusters don't go wrong - it is a spring under tension and we have replaced these on the more loud cars without any improvement.

Again the plastic guide rails just don't go wrong. As mentioned we did receive a car after a rebuild had been done that had excessive chain noise but that was done to the guide rails being put in upside down - an easy mistake to make if you don't build these all the time.

So what does that leave...

well the sprocket for the cams
and the intermediate ring/gear
timing chains

The sprocket for the cams - unlikely although we have seen the slipper rings disappear from usage, but even then noise level seems unaffected.

So it leaves intermediate ring/gear - we have seen damage to the ring on an engine that had noise at idle but upon picking up the revs went away.

Timing chains - really unlikely

Think it is very difficult to be certain. You can rebuild an engine with all new chains, adjusters, rails and it is still as noisy. We have also on one of our own 996 turbo engines used 997 turbo chain related parts to see whether that made any difference - very little.

It is a little like excessive oil pump noise - is it the oil pump or the intermediate gear? Could be either that is the problem. Same concept, you take two turbos and fit a LWFW - one will be relatively quiet and the other loud despite using all the same parts and installation method - no real reason.

Just think some engines are more noisy than others.

Ken

shantybeater said:
I've made a recording of the hot idle sound but not yet loaded it on youtube. This link shows a hot running 996tt and is similar. Actually it's not that different from yours. Difficult to work out. Seems it may just be normal running noise??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbvZuPBJ3vw

996ttalot said:
shantybeater said:

Timing chain noise can range from very low to very high on these cars. Have over 280 turbo cars on our books and frankly the 997 make more noise than the 996 - which is funny since components were changed in the 997 to reduce the noise.

Frankly I wouldn't worry about it. The chain adjusters don't go wrong - it is a spring under tension and we have replaced these on the more loud cars without any improvement.

Again the plastic guide rails just don't go wrong. As mentioned we did receive a car after a rebuild had been done that had excessive chain noise but that was done to the guide rails being put in upside down - an easy mistake to make if you don't build these all the time.

So what does that leave...

well the sprocket for the cams
and the intermediate ring/gear
timing chains

The sprocket for the cams - unlikely although we have seen the slipper rings disappear from usage, but even then noise level seems unaffected.

So it leaves intermediate ring/gear - we have seen damage to the ring on an engine that had noise at idle but upon picking up the revs went away.

Timing chains - really unlikely

Think it is very difficult to be certain. You can rebuild an engine with all new chains, adjusters, rails and it is still as noisy. We have also on one of our own 996 turbo engines used 997 turbo chain related parts to see whether that made any difference - very little.

It is a little like excessive oil pump noise - is it the oil pump or the intermediate gear? Could be either that is the problem. Same concept, you take two turbos and fit a LWFW - one will be relatively quiet and the other loud despite using all the same parts and installation method - no real reason.

Just think some engines are more noisy than others.

Ken
Thanks Ken that's useful information. I'll have 9meister do some listening and comparing before doing any work.
Keep you posted.
Pete

petefm10 said:
shantybeater said:
I've made a recording of the hot idle sound but not yet loaded it on youtube. This link shows a hot running 996tt and is similar. Actually it's not that different from yours. Difficult to work out. Seems it may just be normal running noise??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbvZuPBJ3vw

Sounds like the same noise, FYI the clip I posted was an example not my actual car, sounds pretty much identical to both the black and silver cars in the YouTube video, mines been like since the day I bought it 3 years ago~ no quieter or louder since

Checked out and seems fine. It is the 'normal' 996tt running noise. Close up and with stethoscope it sounds like there's a lot going on but with another running along side it sounds the same, in fact in comparison with 2 others it sounds better.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ahab
Back