Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Will 19" wheels ruin the ride and handling ?

Jonathon555

Suzuka
I have benn looking at some 19" BBS CH-R for my turbo, but 2 out of 2'people i have spoken too so far have said no.

They will make the car alower and effect the handling and ride.

Is this right ?

I know the rolling circ will be bigger but did not think this would be such a big deal.

Any advice ?

I finally got around to putting on the 997.1 Turbo 19" wheels on my 996 Turbo, and it feels great.

I love the way they look, but was concerned about the ride, as I'd read negative reviews too, but like most worry, it was pointless.

I went to 19's but with same size tyres as stock and noticed no difference.... :dont know:

I've found it to be sound.

I'd advise against it. The 996 Turbo was designed by Porsche to run on 18 inch wheels.
If you'd like an expert opinion on how it might affect the handling and set up together with what you need to do to run it on 19's, I'd suggest phoning Chris at Centre Gravity for a view and advice.

I think you'd need to be careful with your wheel offsets. A friend had a 996 Carrera 4 that he purchased fitted with 19" 997 Carrera Classic wheels. On his first decent club run through the Yorkshire Dales he managed to cut through the tread of one back tyre with the wheel arch through lack of clearance.

18's look better on a 996 too, IMO.

Another person looking at aesthetics over performance.

Get yourself a Saxo if you want to chav it up.

It will be heavier, handle worse and be slower.

Don't do it.

Each to their own but the sight of 19" wheels on a 996 makes my toes curl a little.

18" wheels look fantastic on a 996 just like 19's look good on a 997 and 20's on a 991..Its a generation thing and its a bit "max power" having over sized wheels.

kas750 said:
Each to their own but the sight of 19" wheels on a 996 makes my toes curl a little.

Curl those toes a bit more now then...! :eek: :floor:

17248024751_d7b4318ea8.jpg

This comes back a bit to tyres and N rating, Porsche actually put a bit of effort into the way in which your car handles on OEM tyres. They put in a disclaimer which states if you use anything other than N rated tyres, the handling may be compromised. All N rated tyres should handle in a similar fashion whether not their ultimate grip is the same or not, that is what you are buying into. This does not mean that you cannot find a wheel/ tyre combo which will perform as well or better than OEM spec, Porsche do not endorse them because they have not tried them. The OEM wheel/ N rated tyre combo is guaranteed to handle well, if you go outside of this then you are on your own; you pays your money and you takes you choice.

I bought my turbo with Nitto 01s on it and they had entirely different handling characteristics to the identically sized PS2s and the PZeros which I am currently running. Straight line stability was excellent but there were two stages apparent during turn in; initially turn in felt very sharp but after the initial turn in the tyre seemed to roll over on the side wall sharpening the turn without any increase in steering angle.

There are differences and a lot of people will not notice them; if you don't notice the differences, then you can base your choice on price and pose value.

The most compelling reason to go for 19" wheels is the simple fact that there is a greater choice of performance rubber available in that size than 18"; picking the right 19" wheel can actually result in a lighter wheel than OEM. On my 996 the difference between 19" & 18" is negligible in terms of handling but running 19" Pilot SuperSports over 18" PS2 make far more of positive difference. Yes, ultimately the steering geometry will be slightly compromised but most drivers won't feel it. I run 18" slicks on track & 19" on the road and the car handles very well with both even though it is set up for slicks which is very extreme for the road. Tyre wear is acceptable given the fairly extreme cambers.

The statement above contending that any N rated tyre will handle well needs to be put in the context of improved tyre technology over time. The venerable Bridgestone SO2 is N rated but can't be compared very favourably to a more modern tyre such as the Supersport - a tyre unavailable in 18" last time I looked. I couldn't care less what the tyre or wheel looks like, it's a simple matter of performance and larger diameter tyres are where the R&D spend is going.

I don't set too much store in the N rating - the 993 is on MO (Mercedes) fronts and "normal" tyres on the rear - both Dunlop Sport Maxx GT and guess what? It handles & grips way better than the Bridgestone SO2 tyres it came with...

...but some guy on the internet said!!!!

NXI20 said:
The most compelling reason to go for 19" wheels is the simple fact that there is a greater choice of performance rubber available in that size than 18"; picking the right 19" wheel can actually result in a lighter wheel than OEM. On my 996 the difference between 19" & 18" is negligible in terms of handling but running 19" Pilot SuperSports over 18" PS2 make far more of positive difference. Yes, ultimately the steering geometry will be slightly compromised but most drivers won't feel it. I run 18" slicks on track & 19" on the road and the car handles very well with both even though it is set up for slicks which is very extreme for the road. Tyre wear is acceptable given the fairly extreme cambers.

The statement above contending that any N rated tyre will handle well needs to be put in the context of improved tyre technology over time. The venerable Bridgestone SO2 is N rated but can't be compared very favourably to a more modern tyre such as the Supersport - a tyre unavailable in 18" last time I looked. I couldn't care less what the tyre or wheel looks like, it's a simple matter of performance and larger diameter tyres are where the R&D spend is going.

I don't set too much store in the N rating - the 993 is on MO (Mercedes) fronts and "normal" tyres on the rear - both Dunlop Sport Maxx GT and guess what? It handles & grips way better than the Bridgestone SO2 tyres it came with...

I think that you possibly missed the point of my post, all I am saying is that N rating is a safe bet because it has been tried and tested; undoubtedly there are better combinations of rims and tyres but just because there is better rubber available for 19s does not automatically mean that it will perform better on a car designed for 18" wheels. Not only does the geometry change, but the spring rate also changes and as a consequence the handling for better or for worse which you can compensate for by changing the springs and dampers if necessary. If you go out and buy cheap 19" rims and £100 rubber it is likely that you will see a deterioration in the handling performance.

I would like to try PSS on my turbo but they are not available in the correct sizes, however I really am perfectly happy with the way that my car handles on the road with both PS2s and P Zeros. I'm not going to take the gamble of going to 19"s with PSS and being disappointed as I have no issues with the way my car looks and performs with 18"s.

A change to 19s may result in improved handling if you spend money and know what you're doing otherwise it's a cosmetic choice which may result in poorer handling...but as I said before, most people are not going to notice.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cooper9000
Back