Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

To obscure or not to obscure

Fox Terrier

Some people obscure their registration plate on photos they post, some don't. I'm a non-obscurer but is there a reason people do obscure? And should I be doing it? Actually, should everyone obscure their plate? :?:

and while we're at it here's a gratuitous pic from the other day with my new camera. :thumb:

Attachments

• 911_first_canon_shot_compressed_821.jpg
    911_first_canon_shot_compressed_821.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 10,637
I use the 'mud method' to obscure..................

But not always. But then I don't go to sleep at night fearing the 'march of the 996 turbo cloned reg petrol thieves' who surreptitiously prowl these pages seeking the innocent and unwary..............

But then my car is at even more risk since it is to be found regularly on the public highway........ :eek:

The reason people obscure is to prevent cars from being cloned. People always argue about this but the bottom line is, if your car is online people can do google image searches and find lots of photos. Thieves can take the number form your car if it matches the description and clone your car. You could then start getting speeding tickets or other worse things.

some argue that they might see your car on the road and that is possible but how many cars have you seen that are the same colour and model as yours? I've never seen another black 997 Turbo on the same stretch of road as me.

I have some Polish plates on mine and when getting stopped for driving like a Looney, just pull over, look vacant and say to the cops - "dzień dobry".
They let me off everytime. :grin:

I suppose my sig pic gave the game away. :yeah:

isysman said:
The reason people obscure is to prevent cars from being cloned. People always argue about this but the bottom line is, if your car is online people can do google image searches and find lots of photos. Thieves can take the number form your car if it matches the description and clone your car. You could then start getting speeding tickets or other worse things.

some argue that they might see your car on the road and that is possible but how many cars have you seen that are the same colour and model as yours? I've never seen another black 997 Turbo on the same stretch of road as me.

More common than you might think............. :?:

Here's mine parked next to same colour and spec a couple of months ago........

And black 997's? Not that uncommon.......

But it depends on A) Personal activity and B) Personal worldview :dont know:

alex yates said:
I have some Polish plates on mine and when getting stopped for driving like a Looney, just pull over, look vacant and say to the cops - "dzień dobry".

You should also tell them that you are (sorry, were) the Walford Market Inspector :sad:

alex yates said:

Ahhhh, the 'ClarkyCat' :grin:

If you want to push it further to the edge up there in 'Crazy Lannister' country, then say "dobry dzień". See if they spot the colour'n'cuff mismatch...... :thumb:

New996buyer said:
'turbo' and 'RPM' are not exactly 'going undercover' are they............? :wink:

I am going to use LAW 48 next time I do a drive off

Well I personally had a car driving with my number plate on it. I saw the photo from the speed camera, when the police tried to prosecute me. It was a similar car (to my old 997 Cab) but not identical and I was able to convince the police it wasn't mine by sending a photo of the rear of my car and highlighting the differences.

They said they would monitor it and added it to their database and warned me that I might get stopped frequently for the next three months until their investigation was completed. Luckily I was going away the next week and never heard anything again. Until this year, when I had a letter from a private car park who had pinged my number plate not paying for parking. I was out of the country at the time and the car in the photo I couldn't identify, only the number plate was visible. (I have a private plate that gets transferred to each car. Again I had to contact them and tell them it wasn't me and I copied the letter the police had sent me. They were happy with that letter even though it was from 2 years earlier.

Take your pick

10661994_10152409368719397_4359474929888065019_o.jpg

I think years ago it was a bigger concern for people and thats why they used to take the trouble to obscure the number plates.

Nowadays it is much more common to post pictures which include your car and people just can't be bothered, I certainly fall into that camp.

We did have one of our cars plates cloned once though, we found out when we got fines from London, which the car did visit regularly, but for dates when we knew it was not there. When we asked for photographic evidence they showed the car to clearly be an old VW Golf and the registration was on a new Phantom. The reg was worth many times more than the golf so someone was having a bit of fun, we never heard anything more of it (my letter back was a bit sarcastic explaining the differences between a phantom and golf :hand: ).

I guess my point is that was an easy get out for us but if the car had been the same make model and colour then it would be harder to prove it was not you.

Despite that I still can't be bothered to worry about it :grin:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back