Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997.1 turbo vs 997.2 turbo

Bikeracer1098

Suzuka
Been looking for a 2009 model 997.1 turbo with manual gearbox in black. Found three nice cars, however 2 of them were snapped up by a trader for around £52k ish and readvertised for £60k. The other car was white and sold for £50k

Wanted to buy a mint low mileage car which I was planning on keeping for a few years. Also really wanted the aero kit which is rare.

I have now found a 997.2 turbo with PDK gearbox, aero kit which I really want along with carbon fibre interior trim and Spider wheels (which look great) for not a great deal more than the 997.1 turbos above.

Going to see and drive the car tomorrow.

What is your views on purchasing a 997.2 rather than a 997.1 turbo including depreciation etc

Thanks

Just a bit of wishful thinking on my part perhaps as an owner of a 997.1 turbo but I think the fact that its the last of the Mezger engined cars may in the future overbear the fairly modest updates and improvements of the 997.2. You can always alter the cosmetic or PCM shortcomings you may perceive in the .1.

"PDQ": love it!

Probably a more appropriate anglicised acronym for the PDK.

Personally, I have been espousing the benefits of the 997.1 Turbo Mezger (GT1) block over the MA1 DFI successor unit since 2011, and ideally the 997.15 (PCM3) run out model.

But I think it is only that clear cut on the manuals, and only cars near the changeover boundary (a 2011 car is not going to be worried by a 2006 car, irrespective of the block in the back).

But if you want an automatic, then the MA1 PDK (ie 997.2) trumps the M64 Tip (ie 997.1) even on the boundary.

I'm a bit biased, but unless you plan to modify it for big power (or really want a manual) I'd say go with the pdk one. Gearbox is totally brilliant, and you get all the advantages of the newer engine/PCM etc.

I thought this was a rehash of an old thread. There was a thread with this very title (or close to it) last year. If you are interested in quickly seeing many opinions do a search.

If the car you've seen matches your wish list I can't see why it matters if it's a .1 or a .2

The newer the car the more chance there is that it will still be depreciating. Personally I think that the 997.1 has already bottomed out and that the 997.2 hasn't got far to go, so neither should be a problem.

If depreciation is an issue to you, make yourself feel better about it by considering how much of a hit the original owner took. :grin:

Went to view and drive the car this morning.
Initial thought are the PDK gearbox is superb, super smooth seamless gear changes in manual mode. However the car didn't feel as quick as the 2009 997.1 manual turbo which I drove 2 weeks ago. However car felt smoother and much more refined than the 997.1 turbo.
Wanted black, however this car is in Atlas Grey which I did really like especially with the aero pack which I wanted.
Interior is black stone grey which looked nice especially with the carbon fibre interior trim. Car has Bose, along with sports chrono but no sunroof.
The 19" RS Spyder wheels also look superb on the car.

Currently negotiating the price, but in the back of my mind wondering whether a late 2009 manual 997.1 turbo would be a better investment.

What do you guys think?

You like PDK.

You like the colour combo.

It's got the aero kit that you want.

You like the wheels.

It could be that fact that it was so smooth and refined that made it seem slower. :dont know:

What else do you want ........ jam on it. :?:

:wink:

ps. Did you drive it in 'Sport' mode? If you didn't ..... you've got a whole new :drive: experience to come. Go for it. :thumb:

If you think the 997.1 felt faster then maybe you should drive it again. Also drive another 997.2 to make sure it performs similialy. They always say don't buy the first car you drive. You need to get a feel for the type of car.

No 997.2 turbo s should feel slower than earlier models unless it is broken (or the older one has been modded).

No surprises which side of the fence I'll be on for this debate, but as long as you get one in good condition you'll be very happy with either choice :thumb:

chimp911 said:
No 997.2 turbo s should feel slower than earlier models unless it is broken (or the older one has been modded).

No surprises which side of the fence I'll be on for this debate, but as long as you get one in good condition you'll be very happy with either choice :thumb:

I've only driven one 997.1 turbo which had a £4k aftermarket exhaust fitted. The dealer thought the car was standard, however it was extremely quick.

The 997.2 turbo was quick however power delivery was extremely smooth, but didn't feel as responsive as the 997.1. This may have been my perception as they were both driven on different roads etc. when driving the 997.2 today the salesman was absolutely shocked by the cars performance even though he had previously driven the car.

Extremely tempted to go for this car tomorrow morning. Loved the refinement and the look of this gen 2 car with aero kit and RS Spider wheels.

If the 997.1 wasn't smooth in its power delivery then there's a good chance it's been remapped. A standard car is very smooth, whereas my car which has been modified is more aggressive so feels less smooth.

I drove Mr Pubs 997.2 PDK at Vmax and to say I was impressed was an understatement !!!! I dont see how a manual car will ever get near it in a similar state of tune !!!!

If you don't care about the engine, then a 997.2 wil make more sense because it is more modern, more fuel efficient and probably cheaper to service. A 997.1 has the turbo-charged version of the 997.1 GT3 Mezger engine which, in some circles, makes it the more special of the two.

~ Maxie

Slightly off topic but what do people think will be the more valuable in say 10 years, the PDK version of the by then rare manual, Mezger engined vehicle? And is there any historical Porsche precedent to look consider?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StephCafe
Back