Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Smoking oil in a GTS!

mrmoto88

Trainee
Have had my 2012 C4GTS for a few months and notice occasional very heavy exhaust smoke on startup. It's burning oil and am told by OPC it's normal if there some oil left in boxer engine. (Oil level is unchanged after 1500 miles). Car is driven daily and I certainly didn't have this on my 997.1 C4S!

Is this a Gen 2 DFI quirk?

I know you say it's level is unchanged...Out of interest how much oil does your gauge show at working temp ?
Is it up near the top? I think mine is right on cusp of maximum. Sometimes on max, sometimes 1 segment below, SO sensitive to road camber / level ground. If I am overfilled, it could only be 50 - 100ml.

Wonder if this is enough to make yours smoke ?

I thought they all used oil ? Few threads on here about faulty oil sensors :?:

I used to see this if I parked on a hill (facing upwards), or a large left hand camber.
I think its just a small amount of oil pooling in the top of the combustion chambers, that gets burnt off on startup.
Never happened on the flat, and oil level never dropped between oil changes (10,000m)
This was a dfi 3.6

It's perfectly normal as it's a feature of the boxer design. They all do it, including the 991/981.

Presumably you use the car for shorter journeys and often park on an incline, the rear lower on the incline? :dont know:

I get this too from time to time, Normal

It smoked like mad on a large left hand camber, i.e. passenger side down-and obvious after lots of short journeys! I never saw it on my Gen 1, which is why I got a bit of a scare. Sounds like its another 911 'quirk' then!

Oil gauge is now just one click down below maximum and am hoping the smoking should settle somewhat? Also, oil pressure runs much lower on this compared to Gen 1, about 2-3 bar driving in town, never up to 5

Thanks All! :thumb:

mrmoto88 said:
It smoked like mad on a large left hand camber, i.e. passenger side down-and obvious after lots of short journeys! I never saw it on my Gen 1, which is why I got a bit of a scare. Sounds like its another 911 'quirk' then!

Oil gauge is now just one click down below maximum and am hoping the smoking should settle somewhat? Also, oil pressure runs much lower on this compared to Gen 1, about 2-3 bar driving in town, never up to 5

Thanks All! :thumb:

Yes thats where our oil pressure runs, in town and steady running.

^^^^^ glad to have seen that, just got a gen2 previously had a gen1 and I'd noticed the lower pressure, phew

Yes, there is an electrically-driven demand-controlled oil pump which means oil pressures can be lower than 'expected' with a purely mechanical system.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
briant1000
Back