Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Turbo coolant pipes, very lucky escape !!!!

JohnnyDangerous

Estoril
Changing a clutch in a 996 turbo and was asked to pin as many pipes as I could get too, good job too as the car is going to Spain Friday!! This pipe was half way out and ready to let go, I have not loosened this with grips at all and the pics are exactly as it was in the car, whenever you get clutches done guys pay a little extra and get the 6 easy pipes done, there are 2 which are a pain and buried !!! strangely I ahve never done mine !!! :?:

This will scare you !!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kNllZV5aHo&feature=youtu.be

Pinned so that the internal pipes cannot pull out of the aluminium housings

Exactly the one that went on mine JD!

Bloody good job you found it!

When mine went it created one almighty mess! Also caused me to have to walk 45 minutes to get phone reception, and then wait for 6 hours in the middle of no where for a flat bed!

Its the same one that went on my original motor, repaired it and the one on the oil cooler went next day !!!!

ragpicker said:
That looks like the one on the power steering pump bracket - the same one which let go on my car 2 years ago.

Rebonding and pinning is the way to go when you have the engine out!

:wink:

Its right behind the alternator !!!

How Porsche came with a stupid idea like this ??
The kind of thing you don't want to happen each time you do a Tourist lap on the Ring.....

Will do mine the day mine engine needs to go out. Will weld them.
Is it a big job to do all of them Johnny ?

Yeah I think next time I pull my motor I will do mine !!!

quattrosteph said:
Will do mine the day mine engine needs to go out. Will weld them.
Is it a big job to do all of them Johnny ?

Personally I would not weld them, and I have a TIG welder, I will pin mine on the engine in the car and rebond AND pin on the new 3.8 stroker, 2 are a PITA to get to on the car, 6 are easy !!!!

Where are the 2 difficult ones ?

I think you are right Johnny if it can be pinned on the car at least the one that can be reached it's better than nothing. Where are those 8 pipes ? Will maybe do it when I have a moment. What pin do you use ? Thread lock or epoxy ? How do you avoid to have some swarf getting in the pipe while drilling and tapping ?
Very interesting topic :thumb:

quattrosteph said:
Where are the 2 difficult ones ?

On the drivers side of the motor, under the plenum and theres a nasty one on the back area of the PAS reservoir.

If you want to remove the housings and weld them its a s**t load of work and you you really need a weld in kit like Matt @ fearnsport sells and when they are welded you will need to get them X ray'd in case theres a pinhole in the welding

quattrosteph said:
I think you are right Johnny if the can be pinned on the car at least the that can be reached it's better than nothing. Where are those 8 pipes ? Willaybe do it when I have a moment. What pin do you use ? Thread lock or epoxy ? How do you avoid to have some swarf getting in the pipe whole drilling and tapping ?
Very interesting topic :thumb:

Drill through the outer housing and use a M6 or M4 tap and fit a bolt through both the outer and inner pipe therfore stopping the inner being blown out of the housing, to be 100% you need to pull the pipes and rebond using Loctite 263 or 271 (both expensive)

http://sharkwerks.com/porsche/techn...tion-fix-on-gt1-block-gt3-gt2-turbo-cars.html

Well if the Turbo's intermediate shaft is not worth worrying about this certainly is!! :chin:

Mac

when I replaced the intermediate shaft I had the coolant pipes tig welded in

I was surprised how easily the pipes came out with a bit of heat

the Americans are more familiar with this failure most of the cars seemed to have been tracked and also the ambient temperature they were running in was hotter

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drthein
Back