Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

2003 996 C4S Diary

reman

Well, to follow on from my very brief intro in the noob zone, this is my first real thread with any substance.
So, here I am the proud, nervous, exited, deposit payer on a 2003 Silver Manual 4S Coupe.
In the interest of superstition and my day job not allowing me to celebrate ahead of a signed POD, I'll keep the pictures and any more revealing details to myself until its on my drive!
So, I've done my homework, its too late to argue about the spec and the condition, two chances now!

So following a view and test drive over the weekend and agreeing the price, (it's a private sale) I just need to complete the purchase with the outstanding balance, sort some Insurance, tax it and drive it home.
So the first thought, how the heck to pay the man and get the car and how he gets the money without me doing a runner with his car?

Now the last car I bought was £3500, which I took in cash without being overly concerned, but would I want to be driving around with upwards of £15k in a very big brown envelope, probably not?

So usual Google, lots of advice on what NOT to do, don't meet in a car park at night with cash , don't hand the car until the cheques cleared, don't use Paypal in case the money gets taken back, dont buy a used car etc etc!
So, to kick off what experience can you offer as to how to conduct the transaction, on a Saturday a long way from home for say £15k and get a happy ending? :hand:

When I bought mine a few weeks ago, I tried to do an online HSBC balance to balance transfer (9.5k) but it would not work - so, I rang telephone banking then and there, and the funds transferred while I was on the phone.

Seller then confirmed via his online banking and job done.

Good luck!
Ger

BACS it.

I used to work at LloydsTSB and HSBC.

Online BACS is pretty instant, but to speed things up, pay the bloke £1.00 today so they are already set up as someone on your payments list/someone who you have already paid before.

Come the day to pay the balance, should be pretty instant.

I did this when I bought mine, dropped a pound to him the day before, the other £24,999 took less than a minute to reach his account. All done on my phone too!

Lloyds have a MAX of £25k on one day, if you bank with them.

reman said:
a 2003 Silver Manual 4S Coupe

(it's a private sale)

Which one? I have seen 2 with my cousin, one in MK and the other in Watford.

HSC911 said:
BACS it.

Online BACS is pretty instant, but to speed things up, pay the bloke £1.00 today so they are already set up as someone on your payments list/someone who you have already paid before.

I did this when I bought mine, dropped a pound to him the day before, the other £24,999 took less than a minute to reach his account. All done on my phone too!

Thanks for the reply already. I'm with HSBC and he's with LLoyds!
Already set up the route as I paid him the dEposit by instant payment, so that's all good.
If I could ever get through on the phone to HSBC, I have a feeling that it's a £10k limit on one day/transaction though. Need to confirm that............

reman said:
HSC911 said:
BACS it.

Thanks for the reply already. I'm with HSBC and he's with LLoyds!
Already set up the route as I paid him the dEposit by instant payment, so that's all good.
If I could ever get through on the phone to HSBC, I have a feeling that it's a £10k limit on one day/transaction though. Need to confirm that............

Yup the following daily limits apply for payments;

Retail customers - £10,000
Corporate and FI customers - £100,000

HSC911 said:
reman said:
a 2003 Silver Manual 4S Coupe

(it's a private sale)

Which one? I have seen 2 with my cousin, one in MK and the other in Watford.

Much further afield than that, but more than that, I've got to keep to myself as per my first post, untill it happens! (he says rubbing his rabbits foot)

when i bought mine i stuck my visa debit card in the dealers machine and it went straight through

Osh

weebz said:
Yup the following daily limits apply for payments;

Retail customers - £10,000
Corporate and FI customers - £100,000

As conformed by the nice lady at HSBC I've just spent 20 minutes talking to , and messing around with my telephone banking (that I've never used) just to answer this generic question.

Very sorry, £10k per day, no exceptions even by prior agreement.
Click brrrrrrrrrrrr.

So solution will be to pre-transfer internally, then send it from two different bank HSBC and Natwest accounts. So much for loyalty.

Osh said:
when i bought mine i stuck my visa debit card in the dealers machine and it went straight through

Osh
Yep, that would work, only limited by funds i think. But no good to me on this occasion

No - it should work as i have the same £10k limit but i believe your Visa/debit card is outside of that. Worth a try....

Osh

Hsbc are realy getting on my tits at present, i went in to get cash out to buy my clio williams . Had to endure loads of questions as to why i wanted cash !

They said could i bring in a letter from the seller to show why i wanted the cash, idiots i said he does not know i am going buy it.

Its my cash what business of theirs is it what i am spend it on ?

When i bought my turbo the card transaction went through without even entering a pin number.

Osh said:
No - it should work as i have the same £10k limit but i believe your Visa/debit card is outside of that. Worth a try....

Osh
It's a private sale. :-(

I had the exact same issue when I bought mine last year. The solution for me was to transfer from two different HSBC accounts (current and either savings or joint).

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back