Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

One year of joy and learning!

motivator

Silverstone
Well just over 1 year of 993 ownership and first off I would like to say thanks for all the excellent tips and "how to's" that I haver picked up from this forum.:thumb:

I purchased my 1997 993 Carrera cab (92000 miles) in Jan 2014 and it has been a joy to drive, can fit the family in (just), son now has to sit in the front with wife and daughter in the back (he doesn't gloat too much).

Alterations and replacements done so far:

Replaced H&P PA1000 control board and fobs, as the master key that I was given didn't work.

Changed 17" Cups for 18" Turbo twists (I know not everyone will agree with that change, but I prefer the style)

Replaced rotten and missing rear carpet sections, with lovely new ones from Southbound.

Replaced cracked front indicator lens.

Repaired cracked front door side pocket brackets and loose rear roof arms cover.

Bought CTEK battery charger, because it didn't seem to holding charge for more than a week at a time.

Then SORN'd in November with fuel additive and pumped up tyres and wheel chocks.

First drive of 20015 to PARR for service and MOT......Leaking front strut, replace both struts and coil springs...ouch!:eek:

Just washed with my new 0ppm washing setup, what a difference, no water marks at all!:)

Things to do next:

Speaker system is a mess, all the wrong ones and size.

Rev counter bezel is hanging off one side, like a half open door.

Front bonnet light doesn't work.

Find out what colour it is.... Dealer advertised as Midnight Blue, but paint code says Ocean blue, how can I get an honest opinion if the colour has been changed at a re spray?:?:

Really enjoying the forum, thanks.

Sorry Pictures didn't show

Now added

Attachments

• original993_558.jpg
    original993_558.jpg
    220.3 KB · Views: 4,538
  • latest993_135.jpg
    latest993_135.jpg
    222.6 KB · Views: 4,538
Lovely looking car. Nice exterior interior combo and the hardback seats are a plus. Quite rear in cabs.

It's hard to be sure from the pictures but I would say your car is ocean blue. Ocean has a hint of green in it and you can see where the sun hits it that its ocean.

Assuming passenger side front wing is original, what does the paint name 9and code) sticker say on the inside of the wing - behind the carpet?

Thanks for the replies.

The code on the wing says that it is Ocean blue, but I am pretty sure that it has been re-sprayed, just not sure if the colour has been changed.

I agree that when the sun is out it seems to change the shade of the colour, and looks much lighter.

How can I make sure?

David

You could always take it to a Bodyshop and they can check the pigments.

Alternatively test it with a paintgauge and the thickness of he paint will tell you if its been resprayed. Would think a resprayed would be thicker than factory but don't hold me to that.

What makes you think it's midnight?

Take a photo in direct sunlight with no shadows and it might be easier to tell but I'm sticking with Ocean.

Lovely looking cab :thumb:

Prefer the original cups though, but that's just me

usually prefer cups on cabs but imo the turbo twists somehow really suit that colour cab, lovely

Lovely looking cab. I'm a turbo twist man too!

Had mine a year too. They're great cars.

Thanks for the tips on colour, I think I might find a local dealer with a few of either or both colours an do side by side comparison.

Not a very productive weekend, thought I would look at the speakers and the rev counter bezel , but I am really too faint hearted to do either.
Got the rear speakers out and found they where totally the wrong size and depth, so put them back until I can sort out some replacements.
Couldn't even get the covers off the front ones!

Moved onto trying to get the rev counter out....wouldn't budge, and didn't want to force it. I will have to try and take one of the other dials out and push it out from behind.

I recently took the clock out, to replace the flash relay located behind it when I fitted my LED light kit. It is only held in by friction. A butter knife worked to ease out the bevel, going very carefully bit by bit working around the bevel to praise it slowly from the dash.

Great looking cab! I've had mine about a year too and it has hardbacks like yours.......and even though I'm not a real fan of them, they do make the cabs look very good.

I am really interested in what you do speaker wise.... I have magnat speakers; never heard of them before :?: but I am hoping to change once I replace the original Sony with the porsche classic radio.

Nij4 said:
Great looking cab! I've had mine about a year too and it has hardbacks like yours.......and even though I'm not a real fan of them, they do make the cabs look very good.

You could always sell them for £3k and buy a set of standards for c£200 :dont know:

Outliar said:
I recently took the clock out, to replace the flash relay located behind it when I fitted my LED light kit. It is only held in by friction. A butter knife worked to ease out the bevel, going very carefully bit by bit working around the bevel to praise it slowly from the dash.

Outliar, Thanks for the suggestion I will "stiffen the sinews" and have another go this weekend. Do you think there is enough room to get to the back of the rev counter from the clock hole?

Nij4 said:

I am really interested in what you do speaker wise.... I have magnat speakers; never heard of them before :?: but I am hoping to change once I replace the original Sony with the porsche classic radio.

Nij4,

I want to try and keep the speakers as close to the original size and fit as possible.
I am looking at a 3 speaker set from Hertz or some Focal speakers, with the 5.25" in the fromt and 4" in the back.
Focal do some tweeters that come in a housing very similar to the Porsche ones.
I will let you know once I get the grills of my own and can see if they have already been changed.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ahab
Back