Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 Exhaust Manifold Bolt Drilling Jig

systemmeister

Spa-Francorchamps
All,

I'm putting up a message in anticipation of needing to drill out and re-tap the exhaust manifold fixing bolts.

Would anyone be able to hire / loan me a drilling jig to assist me sort this crappy situation out, I'd be very grateful?

MTIA

The only people who would regularly use one would be an OPC or independent but you could possibly make one from a manifold gasket and a thick slab of steel plate? The drill would also have to on a jig to keep it pointing straight.

BoxsterExhaustStudRepairKit.jpg

I could get an engineering shop to make me a jig i guess........

Could use my new manifold plates as templates.

Hi mate, just out of curiosity have you had a quote from antwhere for doing this,
reason i ask is i will be in need of this myself at some point in the future, looking at changing the manifolds but the bolts are well corroded so have decided to leave well alone for now

TG2 said:
Hi mate, just out of curiosity have you had a quote from antwhere for doing this,
reason i ask is i will be in need of this myself at some point in the future, looking at changing the manifolds but the bolts are well corroded so have decided to leave well alone for now

I had advisory to do mine when I had my last service.

They quoted £110 to do all six including drilling and helicoils.

systemmeister said:

No six :lol: must be just on one bank :dont know:

so about £220 to do both sides (12 bolts) but surely some will come out ok?

I just changed mine. I was feeling really smug - 11 came out with a little bit of patience , then I snapped the last one. I think that was my mistake though as in the excitment of getting it finished I've tightened it instead of undoing it!

My local OPC drilled it out.

TG2: This is a devilishly challenging job. I asked my indy when my car was on a ramp when I asked him to go through my car a month back after it came out of hibernation, "How about these corroded nuts" should we book it in and replace them all with stainless?"

His advice? They're not causing a problem. Leave well alone. The job nearly always turns out to be a lot bigger than when you start. Studs snap and break off, they may have to be drilled out and helicoiled.

I have also spoken to a few guys. They are split. Some do it as preventative work, others leave well alone until needed or if they have the engine out for whatever reason. Of those who've had it done, some had a go themselves, bolts snapped and the car was low loaded to an indy who has the welding torch and other equipment to remove these bolts and re-tap. Others who gave it to an indy had an eye-opening bill because it took a lot longer than estimated (and time = Money).

So I'd urge caution. But decide a way forward for yourself and anybody else contemplating this 'preventative' work.

cheshire911 said:
His advice? They're not causing a problem. Leave well alone. The job nearly always turns out to be a lot bigger than when you start. Studs snap and break off, they may have to be drilled out and helicoiled.

I have also spoken to a few guys. They are split. Some do it as preventative work, others leave well alone until needed
So I'd urge caution. But decide a way forward for yourself and anybody else contemplating this 'preventative' work.

The trouble is the longer you leave them the more chance of it becoming a nightmare when you do do it or are forced to.

Cheshire I'm surprised at your attitude to this topic, you do like to mention how your low mileage manual is in great condition yet you seem happy to leave your corroded nuts and bolts.

A couple of years ago I renewed every fastener on my manifolds, turbos, exhaust and heatshields, and basically went through all the other common faults such as heat shields etc and this really does give me piece of mind knowing it's all perfect down there, as it was I managed to do it with out snapping anything, if I'd left it much longer I'm sure that wouldn't have been the case.

Mac

diverzeusy said:
so about £220 to do both sides (12 bolts) but surely some will come out ok?

I guess so. Unless they do a bulk offer 12 for price of 11 or something :lol:
That was at Cavendish porsche in long eaton

I can only go off the recommendation of my very good Indy and OPC Chester. So I'm just following expert advice. Anything else either says my car needs, I have it done. For every one guy I talk to who did it as preventative, there are several more who follow the advice of leave well alone until it becomes a need.

I should add that both these guys have said mine ain't that bad and that they have seen examples that are a LOT worse and causing no issues.

Of course if I want to have it done, but don't need to, then I can reach into my pocket and pay my Indy to do it. I cannot see anyone in a potential sales situation trying to haggle me down cos they might have to replace the studs st some point in time. If they do, I'll simply tell them to find another car with the studs replaced. But of course, hypothetical because I ain't selling.

I was looking at mine earlier and they are ugly as sin. These bolts are only 2 1/2 years old and were stainless but not sure of the quality. These pics are after a tap with a hammer and a wire brushing to get the loose rust off. :yuk:

I would normally ward people off doing them but I'm toying that whilst the bolts are only a few years old, would it be worth attacking them now before the bolt head disappears, :superstition:

What would be the grade best bolt to refit?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lb456
Back