Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Porsche 997 Gen 1 - problem with bass / ASK amplifier

freddie44

Albert Park
The bass has gone off in my car.... Any ideas?
Guess I'll have to test the amp...
Non Bose system

EDITED: for others to find hope its helpful :thumb:

Yes I know :) - just like things to work as intended

Gonna check a few things - seems pretty easy to get at the Amp

I have only just realised my GT3 has a radio when I read this thread. :floor:

Well, I've checked the subs fuse and its fine
Also if you turn the "bass" up to full it does change the midrange bass OK

Anyone know if amps can work in all other areas but not in one ?
I'd guess (with my very limited electrical knowledge) that the whole thing would pack up not just one part..

Anyone know if you can swop out the normal 997 amp for the 997 Bose one?
Some online for £90 and may as well upgrade as I'm there

freddie44 said:
They're not a straight swap I'm afraid. You could retrofit BOSE I suppose.

plavix said:
freddie44 said:

That rhymes :what:

plavix said:
freddie44 said:

Thanks for the response :thumb:

Before spending any money on new stuff I'd check all the relevant connections first (not sure from the above posts if you've done that?). Eg speaker connections in the door cards or could be connections loose in the back of the PCM unit maybe?

Reading up on this issue it turns out to be a very common with these Ask amps

I've found this chap, based in Norway, who fixes and applies a 5 yr warranty (which is better than Porsche)

http://www.bergvillfx.com/index.php/services.html

Porsche 997/Boxster/Cayman ASK amplifier The Sound Package Plus amplifier is known to fail, either by no power-on, or by a very loud hiss or rumbling in the bass/woofer door speakers. This is caused by several internal design flaws, and we have extensive experience in repairing these amplifiers. The job include changing several internal components as well as modifications to the inner circuits to prevent it from failing again. We offer 5 years warranty on the repair and one-day turn-around time. Porsche part # 99764533101, (997.645.331.01) 99764533200, (997.645.332.00) Cabrio 99764533202 (997.645.332.02) or 98764533101 (987.645.331.01)

That is at least a solution, and a five year warranty is worthwhile. Perhaps snag a used one from the usual sources, swap the units then swap again when it's returned. There was another post regarding the ASK amplifier here: http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=94491, not that it will help all that much.

Another option is to strip the entire system and start again. Depends how you feel about ICE and non-Porsche parts. Some of which, including PCM2.1 are a bit pants if I'm honest.

Plenty of guides on Rennlist and 6speed.

Cheers, all good: I removed the amp and will send tomorrow - he has a 1 day turn around. He then sends back with a 5 yr warranty (cost = 120 euros) sounds good to me!! :thumb:

Link again for ASK amp fixing company:

freddie44 said:
Cheers, all good: I removed the amp and will send tomorrow - he has a 1 day turn around. He then sends back with a 5 yr warranty (cost = 120 euros) sounds good to me!! :thumb:

Link again for ASK amp fixing company:

Just seen your post. I also had the same issue with my Ask amp in 2012 and sent it to Tore for a fix. Was very impressed and amp is still working today, so all good. Glad you found the solution and Tore.

Thanks Riccardo - it may well have been your info on PH that led me to him

The power of the internet :thumb: :thumb:

It might well have been, at the time I was so impressed that something like this could be fixed by a fellow enthusiast that I wanted to make sure other people would be able to find him.

All good then! :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biel
Back