Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Early 996 headlamp re-build. 918 optic style?

C11BRA

Suzuka
After recently part-exing my RAM Cobra for a 996 C2 (to sell easier) I soon fell in love with the car and contracted a bad case of Porsche-itus.

The 996 has had a pretty poor life. Loads of owners, terrible service history, poor paintwork, non standard wheels etc etc.

So....as already non standard (and virtually impossible to sell for £8000) I have decided to try and make the 17 year old beast a little fresher. Don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to make it look like a 997 or even a facelifted 996, just trying to make it make me smile. I fully appreciate that cars have a value in standard form but hopefully i can do this conversion justice.

I've spent a tight budget of £2000 on a new look front end, wheel re-furb and a mechanical overhaul (+ a raft of low cost repairs). Being a qualified technician, all of the labour is free.

So. Headlights.

I'm not a big fan of the big (early) 996 lamps. Just too big in my opinion and being shared with Boxster doesn't help. I like the facelift lights but could not justify the cost of new wings, lamps & re-painting so when I saw the picture of modified lamp (on a Boxster), my plan was hatched.

I've stripped down a lamp assembly. Anyone want to follow the build??? With pictures?

Subscribed!!

Now if only you'd been on the 991 design panel I might have liked it.

:worship:

Great Photobucket pictures, and what a tasteful transformation, IMO of course.
well done.

The plan is to have a central HID optical unit (already purchased) mounted in place like the one seen here.

However, I plan to add a carbon fibre shroud behind this unit and 4 polished aluminium tubes housing high intensity LEDs to act as DRLs but linked to side lights (as I already have DRLs in the new bumper). All polished/chrome components left inside the lamp will be bronze tinted to match my brake calipers (& other details).

I'll post some pictures of the stripped headlight assembly. It's quite surprising how many components are inside.

:agree: :popcorn:

I'm starting to think that we are going to really really like this C11BRA guy :thumb:

:goodjob:

:popcorn:

This is great, as I am breaking an 03 boxster with xenons that have busted casings, and was thinking of using the gear to modify some stock lights, just as you are.......Subscribed!

Sacrificial headlamp.

So....as promised, here's a quick snap of the sacrificial Boxster lamp that I pulled apart to test my theory. The main reflector is missing (still at work undergoing modifications) and the electric & manual adjusters are still inside the housing as is the wiring loom.

The aim is to simplify all the internals to focus attention on a bespoke optical HID unit I am building. Any chrome work will be treated to a bronze finish & other areas will be coloured in 991 Anthracite Brown Metallic to give a darker look to the whole lamp. Diffused seen below for example.

This will leave this reflector redundant & the indicator housing can be removed too (as I have new indicators in the bumper). Removing the indicator housing will eliminate the orange tint seen through the lens.

:tea: :popcorn:

See what I mean about the orange tint from the internal indicator housing lens?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biel
Back