Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Purchasing a 996 Turbo with GT-2 Aero kit help

neilmx

Hello looking at purchasing a 996 Turbo with a OEM GT-2 body kit on it. Should I check to see if it has been factory fitted or does this not matter? Am I correct in thinking as long as it is OEM kit fitted by main Porsche dealer this won't detract from value and should add.

Thanks feedback appreciated.

P.s. The inspection report noted it was a OEM KIT.

If fitted correctly with all the correct ducting etc it may add to the value , maybe not, some want original at any cost , some want the gt2 look.
Most important is whether you like the look or not, there will always be others in the future that will too.

Having fitted the front PU on mine after an accident, I would maybe ask if it was fitted just because the owner fancied it, or whether the front PU was in need of replacement (as was my case) due to an "event".

Agreed often times, when big mods are carried out on a car it's as a result of accident damage. But it's not always the case. However it would be worth checking in any case.

If it has OEM front and rear aero kit then it's had some serious money spent on it to fit it (if it's been done properly). Somebody on here did it recently and the front end alone was around £6k to buy (unfitted). The rear decklid is a ten grand piece of equipment.

I'd take on board Issyman's point about these mods may be a consequence of accident damage. So just be very thorough in the inspection and satisfy yourself that you have a straight car with all original panels and check for signs of paint overspray.

If a 996 with GT looks takes your fancy and if that stuff has been done properly, it is very expensive on the prior owner.

The point about originality is also valid. It's whatever turns you on for looks. Which one does it for you? A 996 GT2 look-alike or a 996 Turbo original or a real GT2.

Feedback

Thanks a bunch for the feedback guys! I really do like the aero kit and in two minds at the moment but on the other hand want something that will appreciate.

I will also do some digging for any sign off accident history and the company that is selling ASM.

Re: Feedback

neilmx said:
I really do like the aero kit and in two minds at the moment but on the other hand want something that will appreciate.

That looks a good price for the car it is. i.e a sensible mileage, 2003 996T with a properly fitted aero kit from a dealer.

Its value will go up (in line with all 996 Turbos) but recouping the dealer premium you'd be paying may take some time.

Whatever, it's not a GT2 so I'd definitely lose the GT2 badge asap. :cop:

Good luck :thumb:

"MAINTAINED METICULOUSLY REGARDLESS OF CONDITION, "

I would probably prefer it was "maintained meticulously regardless of cost" myself :hand:

Apart from binning that awful, red, oversized, gt2 badge if it checks out vis a vis accident history /OEM parts that looks a good deal.

Think the car looks lovely anyhow, hope it all checks out for you.

For future values, I doubt you will have your fingers burned. A totally standard turbo will end up worth more in the long run, but, enough owners have modified turbos (inc mechanically ) that the healthy market that exists for "other than standard " cars will not evaporate overnight.

I wouldn't be put off by the kit. It will appreciate like the standard cars I think, it will just have a smaller market when it comes to selling as not everyone wants a modded car. However I wouldn't get too hung up on that. Buy it to own it not to worry about the next owner.

Car looks fantastic as well, and it's a great price.

Is te the one for sell in Bletchley ?

I know the car , drove it for a friend and saw it on a ramp......forget about it.
Lots of problems on it last time I saw it. Paint is covered of scratchs, interior is tired.......

quattrosteph said:
I know the car , drove it for a friend and saw it on a ramp......forget about it.
Lots of problems on it last time I saw it. Paint is covered of scratchs, interior is tired.......

Looks like its had a flatten and polish wouldn't be too hard to sort. Ive just done it too a boxster today the paint is so thick makes the world of difference.

As for interior that can be resolved and if it looks tired in the flesh maybe some negotiation.

car looks brilliant and as said above get the badge gone :thumb:

I did inspect it and I would give it a miss honestly. Clutch or master cylinder was gone, lots of corrosion, did need new actuators, the car was guttless and was knocking . The car had a hard life.
Good luck.

quattrosteph said:
I did inspect it and I would give it a miss honestly. Clutch or master cylinder was gone, lots of corrosion, did need new actuators, the car was guttless and was knocking . The car had a hard life.
Good luck.

A bit of tiding up paint and interior doesn't concern me in the slightest however You mention the car has corrosion and was knocking. Did you carry out an inspection for a customer or was this a personal inspection? I see your local to the area. I would like to know a bit more if possible please pm me. Tnx

I side mirror motor did not work, clutch, accumulator or master cylinder was gone, lots of corrosion under the car ( bolts, suspension parts , etc...)
Car did need new turbo actuators, car was knocking at low speed ( need new coffin arms or link arms I guess). Gear stick very floppy. Car was guttless ( boost leak or dump valves in need of replacement, paint was awful, interior was a bit tired. Fitting of GT2 front bumper not great. Wheels did need a complete refurb.
Car was expensive and not in really good condition.
They maybe did correct all the issues by now...
I just can't believe how some dealers car advertise their cars at top price and not even bother to repair or prepare them before doing it. My friend did travel a long way to see it and it was a total waste of time !
I would only trust dealers such as RPMtechniks or JZM.

Thanks for saving me some pain there buddy.. Think I'm going to dig a little deeper now and just get a 997 t.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
b8n8tai
Back