Welcome to 911UK
The only place for Porsche, 911uk is the definitive enthusiast and resource site for the Porsche 911.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so join up today for full access to the site and benefit from latest member offers.

Porsche Classifieds
Porsche Buyers Guides
Sell Your Porsche on 911uk
Create a Free Classified Advert
Search Ads
Classified Adverts FAQ
Trade Classified Information
Buyer & Seller Fraud Protection
Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI)
Porsche Car Sourcing
Porsche Cars Wanted
Model
Stock
Porsche 911
991 : 2011- 4
997 : 2004- 68
996 : 1997-2005 45
993 : 1993-1998 7
964 : 1989-1993 1
Carrera 3.2 : 1983-1989 0
Carrera SC : 1977-1983 0
930 Turbo : 1975-1989 1
Early 911 : 1964-1977 1
Porsche Other Models
Classic : 1950-1965 1
Boxster : 1997- 17
Cayman : 2005- 15
Cayenne : 2003- 12
Macan : 2014- 3
Panamera : 2009- 3
912-914-924-928-944-968 5
959 - CarreraGT - RaceCar 1
Car Parts For Sale & Wanted
Other Items For Sale & Wanted
Wheels Tyres For Sale & Wanted
Number Plates For Sale Wanted

Porsche Services
Porsche Body Shop Repair
Paint Protection & Body Wrapping
Porsche Classic Insurance
Porsche Classic Parts
Porsche Classic Restoration
Porsche Design Collection
Porsche Engine Gearbox Rebuild
Porsche Heritage & History
Porsche News
Porsche Picture Gallery
Win a New Porsche 911

Porsche Parts
Body Parts, Body Styling
Brakes, Clearance
Electrical, Exhausts
Engine Cooling, Engine Electrical
Engine Rebuild, Heating Cooling
Interior Incar, Lighting
Rubber Seals, Service Parts
Steering, Suspension
Transmission, Workshop Tools
Early 911, 911 - 930, 928 - 968
964 - 993, 996 - 997, Boxster
Cayman, Cayenne, Panamera

Porsche Model Range
911 [991] 2011-Current
Porsche 911 [991]
911 [997] 2004-Current
Porsche 911 [997]
911 [GT] GT1-GT2-GT3
Porsche 911 [GT]
911 [996] 1997-2005
Porsche 911 [996]
911 [993] 1993-1998
Porsche 911 [993]
911 [RS] RS-RSR
Porsche 911 [RS]
911 [964] 1989-1993
Porsche 911 [964]
911 3.2 1983-1989
Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera
911 SC 1977-1983
Porsche 911 SC
911 [Early] 1964-1977
Porsche 911 [Early]
Boxster & Cayman
Porsche Boxster & Cayman
Cayenne & Panamera
Porsche Cayenne & Panamera

911uk Site Partners

Post new topic   Reply to topic
Author Message
copmots
Silverstone


Joined: 26 Jul 2011
Posts: 139
Location: York Nth Yorkshire


PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good,nice conversion.
The centre console with PC3 black wheel & mats break the interior up nicely
Looks a lot more update. No upgrade on the Porsche marque are cheap or easy though but worth it (as you've shown ).
thumbsup
 
  
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
   
Clanky
Imola


Joined: 24 Aug 2012
Posts: 840
Location: Scotland

2007 Porsche 997 Turbo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just been looking into this issue, & found this post. My control module is 997.613.297.01, so I assume I'll have to swap it out with an updated version then?

Sad
_________________
996 C4s (Gone)
997 Turbo

S3 Daily Driver
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Phil 997
Fuji


Joined: 05 Dec 2015
Posts: 9141
Location: Bournemouth,Dorset

2009 Porsche 997 Carrera 4S

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clanky, you should not need the newer steering module as you are manual no multi function, do you have an issue with what you have done in the thread with a picture, there might be two issues you have, one the horn not working if so get your opc to switch the multifunction option on using PIWIS
the other thing you might be getting is a sticky airbag movement when pressing the horn , try removing the airbag double check that the loom is sitting in the groove ,check any silicon tape is not starting to peel if so remove it , many suggest removing the silicon tape anyway then add some silicon grease to the 3 little tabs on the side of the airbag , this should make it move smoother but they are a bit stiffer anyway than the gen1 type. if its nether of these let us know and maybe there's something else to try.hope that's sorts it. Phil
_________________
911 Owners,Some Invest In The Future,
Others Enjoy The Moment Today.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Martian
Magny-Cours


Joined: 18 Mar 2009
Posts: 2692
Location: Bury St. Edmunds

2007 Porsche 997 Turbo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking about changing my gen1 steering wheel to the gen2 one, any pointers please. I presume just wheel and airbag needed, no MF or Tip' control needed (manual car).
 



Gen2 Wheel.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  151.32 KB
 Viewed:  2884 Time(s)

Gen2 Wheel.jpg



Gen1 Wheel.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  117.72 KB
 Viewed:  2884 Time(s)

Gen1 Wheel.jpg


  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Clanky
Imola


Joined: 24 Aug 2012
Posts: 840
Location: Scotland

2007 Porsche 997 Turbo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil 997 wrote:
Clanky, you should not need the newer steering module as you are manual no multi function, do you have an issue with what you have done in the thread with a picture, there might be two issues you have, one the horn not working if so get your opc to switch the multifunction option on using PIWIS
the other thing you might be getting is a sticky airbag movement when pressing the horn , try removing the airbag double check that the loom is sitting in the groove ,check any silicon tape is not starting to peel if so remove it , many suggest removing the silicon tape anyway then add some silicon grease to the 3 little tabs on the side of the airbag , this should make it move smoother but they are a bit stiffer anyway than the gen1 type. if its nether of these let us know and maybe there's something else to try.hope that's sorts it. Phil


Sorry, re-read my post & realised it wasn't very clear.
Yes, I have a problem with the horn not working.
It presses in & springs back ok, so I'm certain that it's sliding ok, otherwise I figure it would sound & not stop.

I've had it off a few times now, & even put my old wheel back on to confirm the horn does work.

Martain, Other than the issues I'm having with the horn, its a straight forward swap assuming you get a wheel with the cables connected.
There are 2 connectors & earth on the airbag unit. From what I can work out, the connectors are for a 2 stage deployment, & the earth should be for the horn.
All you need is a 5mm allen key to pop out the old airbag, & a 12mm spline drive (12 point). To tighten, it's 37ft-lb.

I'm going to look into the way the wiring goes into the main plug & try to see if I can work out where the problem is regarding the horn connection.
_________________
996 C4s (Gone)
997 Turbo

S3 Daily Driver

Last edited by Clanky on Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:44 am; edited 1 time in total
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Phil 997
Fuji


Joined: 05 Dec 2015
Posts: 9141
Location: Bournemouth,Dorset

2009 Porsche 997 Carrera 4S

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martian wrote:
I'm thinking about changing my gen1 steering wheel to the gen2 one, any pointers please. I presume just wheel and airbag needed, no MF or Tip' control needed (manual car).


I am just waiting on a bit more info as I can't remember if the manual with no MF needs the newer control module at £250 or not and just needs the OPC to turn on multifunction with the piwis to get the horn to work. Nightmare getting them to turn on multifunction when you don't have it, they just can't grasp it. lol.

mine is a tip and I did need the new module as with the old module I could have gears or horn but not both Surprised what so went with gears until the module arrived. Thumb
_________________
911 Owners,Some Invest In The Future,
Others Enjoy The Moment Today.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
isysman
Zolder


Joined: 22 Apr 2011
Posts: 5450
Location: Cheshire


PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't need the new control mudule in a manual. You just need yo have the MFW active to get the horn to work. When I fitted my wheel, I removed a multifunction wheel so it was a straight swap. Only the wheel and airbag were changed nothing else.
_________________
911 GT2RS Build
987 Boxster S 3.4

 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Phil 997
Fuji


Joined: 05 Dec 2015
Posts: 9141
Location: Bournemouth,Dorset

2009 Porsche 997 Carrera 4S

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Thanks for confirming that isys, I thought that was what I remembered .So clanky just a visit to the OPC and get the Multifunction turned on with the PIWIS and you should have a working horn . Thumb Grin
_________________
911 Owners,Some Invest In The Future,
Others Enjoy The Moment Today.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Clanky
Imola


Joined: 24 Aug 2012
Posts: 840
Location: Scotland

2007 Porsche 997 Turbo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil 997 wrote:
Yes Thanks for confirming that isys, I thought that was what I remembered .So clanky just a visit to the OPC and get the Multifunction turned on with the PIWIS and you should have a working horn . Thumb Grin


That's a bonus!

I'll have a play around with Durametric again & see if ive missed anything first tho...
_________________
996 C4s (Gone)
997 Turbo

S3 Daily Driver
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Phil 997
Fuji


Joined: 05 Dec 2015
Posts: 9141
Location: Bournemouth,Dorset

2009 Porsche 997 Carrera 4S

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clanky wrote:
Phil 997 wrote:
Yes Thanks for confirming that isys, I thought that was what I remembered .So clanky just a visit to the OPC and get the Multifunction turned on with the PIWIS and you should have a working horn . Thumb Grin


That's a bonus!

I'll have a play around with Durametric again & see if ive missed anything first tho...


Yes mate worth a try with the durametic , I know one or two have had it go ok but others have had to get a PIWIS to do it. my indy couldn't get mine sorted with a durametric so I had to go OPC PIWIS
_________________
911 Owners,Some Invest In The Future,
Others Enjoy The Moment Today.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
MPOWER
Newbie


Joined: 17 Oct 2016
Posts: 6



PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the exact same case as "monster"...same steering wheels, manual car, multifunction both steering wheels. The only difference is the my car is 997 turbo 2007 and montser's looks like 2009. Direct swap, without changing the electronics module results in multifunction not working, and the horn honks every time I remove the key from the ignition. I also bought the 99761328901 but it creates more problems than the ones it solves...
Probably I don't know how to correctly program the new module. I enable in the "Coding adaptation" of piwis the correct functions Multifunction, cruise control etc.
FYI I own a PIWIS so (with the right guidance Question ) theoretically I can code anything my local Porsche dealer can.
Any help would be greatly appreciated
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Clanky
Imola


Joined: 24 Aug 2012
Posts: 840
Location: Scotland

2007 Porsche 997 Turbo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you buy the one for sale from Boxsterbits by any chance?

I had the page saved for when I got home from work & by that time it was gone!

PC
_________________
996 C4s (Gone)
997 Turbo

S3 Daily Driver
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
MPOWER
Newbie


Joined: 17 Oct 2016
Posts: 6



PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No I bought a new part from Porsche, I checked the same add a few days ago but the item was not available either...
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
monster
Hockenheim


Joined: 04 Sep 2010
Posts: 642
Location: Bournemouth


PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MPOWER wrote:
I have the exact same case as "monster"...same steering wheels, manual car, multifunction both steering wheels. The only difference is the my car is 997 turbo 2007 and montser's looks like 2009. Direct swap, without changing the electronics module results in multifunction not working, and the horn honks every time I remove the key from the ignition. I also bought the 99761328901 but it creates more problems than the ones it solves...
Probably I don't know how to correctly program the new module. I enable in the "Coding adaptation" of piwis the correct functions Multifunction, cruise control etc.
FYI I own a PIWIS so (with the right guidance Question ) theoretically I can code anything my local Porsche dealer can.
Any help would be greatly appreciated


MPOWER, Sorry I can't help you there as the OPC programmed mine, I was with the tech when he did it, and it didn't take him long, maybe 10 mins! - the steering angle sensor also needs to be reset at the same time, could it be this catching you out!

Keep plugging away at it and I'm sure you'll get there yourself if no one else comes along with any more info in the meantime. - You could try calling around a few of the more friendly Indy's, they may help you over the phone.

My car is actually a 2005 Carrera S - so a few years older than yours Thumb
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
MPOWER
Newbie


Joined: 17 Oct 2016
Posts: 6



PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot thumbsup
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Robx
Trainee


Joined: 01 Jul 2014
Posts: 76
Location: Bournemouth


PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loving this conversion. I currently have a 997.1 with a multi jobby wheel and much prefer the newer wheel. Will I run into issues if I install a non-multi functional one? im about to do a stereo upgrade and dont really care too much about buttons on the wheel. Can i just leave the connectors unplugged or will it throw wobblies and dash codes?

Cheers

edit - found this thread which answers my question http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=115648
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Phil 997
Fuji


Joined: 05 Dec 2015
Posts: 9141
Location: Bournemouth,Dorset

2009 Porsche 997 Carrera 4S

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robx wrote:
Loving this conversion. I currently have a 997.1 with a multi jobby wheel and much prefer the newer wheel. Will I run into issues if I install a non-multi functional one? im about to do a stereo upgrade and dont really care too much about buttons on the wheel. Can i just leave the connectors unplugged or will it throw wobblies and dash codes?

Cheers

edit - found this thread which answers my question http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=115648


Rob, let me know if you need any help with the wheel mod Thumb Grin
_________________
911 Owners,Some Invest In The Future,
Others Enjoy The Moment Today.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
MPOWER
Newbie


Joined: 17 Oct 2016
Posts: 6



PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I managed to deal with PASM and PSM issues after installing the new steering wheel.
Now I have to find out why the cruise control and OBC switches are dead, and then make the mulifunction buttons work... Dont know(one problem at a time...) Embarassed
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
160dmb
Trainee


Joined: 19 Aug 2014
Posts: 78



PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 997.2 C2s PDK with a m/f steering wheel.

I'd like to retain the m/f and add paddles because I am unconvinced by the PDK buttons at the moment.

I have had an idea about making the left PDK button change down (whichever way I move it), and similarly make the right button only change up which is one solution but having read this thread I have a new idea.....

Is a PDK wheel different to a Manual wheel?

i.e. can I put the Manual facia on a PDK wheel to get rid of the PDK buttons and then add Merc paddles to get the best of all worlds?
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Phil 997
Fuji


Joined: 05 Dec 2015
Posts: 9141
Location: Bournemouth,Dorset

2009 Porsche 997 Carrera 4S

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

160dmb wrote:
I have a 997.2 C2s PDK with a m/f steering wheel.

I'd like to retain the m/f and add paddles because I am unconvinced by the PDK buttons at the moment.

I have had an idea about making the left PDK button change down (whichever way I move it), and similarly make the right button only change up which is one solution but having read this thread I have a new idea.....

Is a PDK wheel different to a Manual wheel?

i.e. can I put the Manual facia on a PDK wheel to get rid of the PDK buttons and then add Merc paddles to get the best of all worlds?


Yes you could or buy a manual wheel with mf and then add the merc or techart paddle kit .

Or if you wanted to get rid of the MF you could fit a 997.2/991 sports wheel with the paddles .

The fascias are often not easy to remove and you might end up breaking your old fascia to get it off .

your airbag would fit all those options. Grin Thumb
_________________
911 Owners,Some Invest In The Future,
Others Enjoy The Moment Today.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic   All times are GMT - 11 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

 
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum
You cannot post calendar events in this forum