Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Steering Wheel Query

monster

I am attempting to fit a 997.2 steering wheel onto my 997.1 - I have a multifunction wheel and appropriate airbag and I am just trying to understand how it all goes together before I attempt the fit onto the car.

When I slide the airbag into the wheel, it locates as it should within the wire frame which springs back around the lugs to secure the airbag, and the two springs are in place and exerting some pressure on the underside of the airbag unit.

What is concerning me is that when I press the airbag as if to activate the horn, the airbag is stiff to push and then will not return easily back into place afterwards. Its almost as if the two springs under the airbag are not powerful enough to return it to position.

I have ensured the little wiring loom is sitting in its groove and I don't think anything is fouling!

Does anyone have any ideas? or could anyone explain how the horn is supposed to work on this type of steering wheel?

thanks

not sure which wheel you have tip/manual/pdk
but the ones i convert have an outer ring around the air bag, you dont press the air bag itself, perhaps this is the problem?

its this wheel. Anyone any clues regarding the horn?

Attachments

• img_5705_304.jpg
    img_5705_304.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 14,279
  • img_5704_433.jpg
    img_5704_433.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 14,279
  • img_5703_756.jpg
    img_5703_756.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 14,279
Did the exact same conversion myself and also thought the horn-push was a little stiff to operate.
So had a look at my friends 2011 gen 2 with the same wheel.
His was exactly the same a bit stiff.
So I reckon this is how they are.
Dave

sorry I have no answers, that wheel is different from the round air bag models that have the grey surround with the horn push.
I hope you find a solution, perhaps as mentioned it only needs a small prod to operate?

copmots said:
Did the exact same conversion myself and also thought the horn-push was a little stiff to operate.
So had a look at my friends 2011 gen 2 with the same wheel.
His was exactly the same a bit stiff.
So I reckon this is how they are.
Dave

Thanks Dave, yes thats what I am coming to believe reading around. I did try a bit of silicone grease in the points of contact areas and this has improved it a lot, it seems to be moving ok now, although I am not impressed with the design!

Did you install a multifunction wheel? If so did you have to change the control unit? My existing triangular airbag wheel is multi function, so I am going from a 997.1 multi function wheel with triangular airbag to the pictured 997.2 multi function wheel, but I read conflicting reviews regarding the control unit? cheers

medicus said:
sorry I have no answers, that wheel is different from the round air bag models that have the grey surround with the horn push.
I hope you find a solution, perhaps as mentioned it only needs a small prod to operate?

Yes thanks Medicus, yes its a different wheel and design to the one your describing which is I believe the Sport wheel option on the 997.1 - thanks anyway!

I can't help here unfortunately, but wanted to ask where you got the wheel and multifunction plate from? Considering doing this in mine.

bs0u0118 said:
I can't help here unfortunately, but wanted to ask where you got the wheel and multifunction plate from? Considering doing this in mine.

I purchased them all separately, I got the wheel from the US, it came with non multifunction fascia which I removed, the airbag from Germany, both second hand and bought the multifunction fascia new from local OPC.

Monster
Yes you need the later control unit then coded to the car.
The control unit comes blank and has to be told everything: multifunction, on board computer, Tpms, horn (sometimes),
Etc etc. any good Indy will do it in less than twenty mins.
I have the part No of the control unit of you need it.
Dave

copmots said:
Monster
Yes you need the later control unit then coded to the car.
The control unit comes blank and has to be told everything: multifunction, on board computer, Tpms, horn (sometimes),
Etc etc. any good Indy will do it in less than twenty mins.
I have the part No of the control unit of you need it.
Dave

Thanks for tha Dave, yes if you could post up the part number here that would be great!

Did you convert 997.1 multifunction to 997.2 multifunction?

Do you know what needs to be removed to fit the control unit? - Do you access it from behind the wheel - maybe by removing the clock spring? or do you access it by removing the steering column surround?

thanks again!

post a pic of yours up if you have one to hand, be good to see it!

Re reading your post I realise you don't need tip controls...lucky you.
So maybe the control unit might not be needed. Before you get one just plug your wheel in and see if the multifunction works. Odds on are against it though everything Porsche needs something else to make it work if your doing any kind of upgrade !

The part No is 997.613.289.01 cost me with my trade discount £229.50 inc vat. ( pre jan 2015 price increase ! )

I was going from tip to pdk controls ....paddle shift to follow later.
I also had multifunction but did away with it till I can get a unit in the right colour and price. Even the airbag was the wrong colour but I painted to match the exterior colour.

To fit it you need to remove the steering column shrouds then undo a few torq screws remove clock spring unit etc takes about 15 mins so not a big deal.
Just be careful and don't force anything.
If you live in my area I'll come and do it for you with pleasure.

Anymore info only to glad to help.
Dave

Attachments

• img_2059_135.jpg
    img_2059_135.jpg
    391.4 KB · Views: 14,085
  • img_2585_167.jpg
    img_2585_167.jpg
    299.5 KB · Views: 14,086
  • img_2587_164.jpg
    img_2587_164.jpg
    340.7 KB · Views: 14,086
nice one Dave, your interior looks good - i see you have changed your head unit too!

So is your interior stone grey and you have fitted a black wheel in place of the stone grey one? Does it blend in or would you prefer a grey one?

Thanks very much for your kind offer of assistance, but I'm on the south coast, I'll be ok doing it myself, just trying to find out whether i need to change this control unit or not - but its hard to get a definitive answer, I'll do as you say and give it a go and see if it works or not, I've a feeling I will end up needing the later unit in the end though!

Here's a question! - If the multifunction or horn etc doesn't work with the existing control unit, should I bother paying to hook it up to piwis, or does that mean this unit is incompatible and i should just go ahead and get the later control unit and fit it before hooking it up to piwis - whats your opinion on that?

cheers Dave!

I'am sure you'll be fine fitting another control unit if needed. You will need very small torq screwdrivers.
The wheel I have is actually stone grey although it may not look it in the photo. All in all everthing looks good and more up to date.

As for trying the car on Piwis with the old unit that all depends how friendly your indie is or if your tied into having to go to OPC. If OPC then it could be an expensive experiment. Everthing should work with only a question mark about the multifunction bit. My indie is very local and would try coding for £20.
Usually though newer components won't work with old controllers.

If you fit the later unit the psm light will keep flashing because the new unit even has to be told when the steering wheel is central!

Good luck let me know the outcome. A very worthwhile mod and worth the effort.
Dave
:thumbs:

Just fitted the new wheel, went on fine, horn works, but multi function controls are not working.

Didn't get any warning lights up, but strangely the horn beeps once when I remove the key from the ignition!

Ive just ordered the later control unit, so I'll fit that next week and see what happens then!

Is it quite straightforward for OPC to program new unit Dave, anything I need to check or remind them? - thanks for all your advice!

My interior is stone grey like yours, but I have chosen to fit a black wheel, Ive got a fair bit of black in the interior, carpets, PCM3 and centre console control units, so it fits quite well and breaks up the grey a bit!

Attachments

• img_5708_719.jpg
    img_5708_719.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 13,956
  • img_5714_165.jpg
    img_5714_165.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 13,956

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member