Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

New Pioneer AVIC-F77DAB Android/Apple double din thoughts?

umirza85

Monza
When I purchased my 911 C4S it already came with an after market single din deck and amp to replace the factory one.

Im now getting a little tired of having to always plug in to the aux-in, and also with the fact that there is no where to put the phone so I can see it while driving (maps).

Been looking into decks, and the last Alpine I had I purchased lasted me over 7 years and two cars (sold with my last car) so I'm not against purchasing something that is quality and future proofed.

Thinking about purchasing one of the new Pioneer Android Auto/Apple Carplay double din stereos.

http://www.pioneer.eu/uk/products/25/111/241/AVIC-F77DAB/page.html

The above is the latest from Pioneer and the model that includes a capacitive touch screen so its more like a phone. They are on average going for 1000GBP, Amazon has one for 850, and I've managed to get one sourced for 780.

Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on this deck, or if its worth pulling the trigger at 780. Even the lower 2 versions of the above are more expensive than 780. Or any suggestions for another double din system?

Depends if you have to have double-din. I bought a Kenwood single din with DAB+, Bluetooth and two USB sockets. Covered all options for me. £150 sorted. :thumb:

jinjaninja said:
Depends if you have to have double-din. I bought a Kenwood single din with DAB+, Bluetooth and two USB sockets. Covered all options for me. £150 sorted. :thumb:

Yea I would prefer double din as I don't really have anywhere to mount the phone. I've seen most of the mounting solutions and I'm not really a fan of any of them. Also having the nav built in would save me in places where I can't use the data on my phone.

Also just sort of wondering if the price I can get the AVIC-77DAB for is decent? Not sure what other people have paid for their double din units.

I've got the Alpine Car Play unit in mine, great bit of kit, though it is entirely dependent on the iPhone you have connected, think there will be more of these dual OS units running android and car play in the future (I know parrot have one announced earlier this year). This unit is £600 so £790 for the newer pioneer with the dual OS seems reasonable.

Here's a pic of mine installed, the cradle is mounted on the original handset mount (can also be bought from OPC for around £80 or you may be lucky and find one on eBay)...

mazza said:
I've got the Alpine Car Play unit in mine, great bit of kit, though it is entirely dependent on the iPhone you have connected, think there will be more of these dual OS units running android and car play in the future (I know parrot have one announced earlier this year). This unit is £600 so £790 for the newer pioneer with the dual OS seems reasonable.

Here's a pic of mine installed, the cradle is mounted on the original handset mount (can also be bought from OPC for around £80 or you may be lucky and find one on eBay)...

That looks great, I really like the newer double din units with the larger screen that covers the whole section, help with that oem look w/o having large coloured buttons! and yeah the new AVIC-F77DAB is a dual os. Thanks for adding a picture, I need to get a phone mount sorted for sure. If you paid £600 then I guess you're right about £790 not being too bad, I just needed some perspective.

Aside from the deck & phone mount. Where did you get the double din mounting kit/fascia that works with the cup holders? Do you have a link or something, the only ones I can find are supposedly for the dash that doesnt have the cup holder.

I have gone for a F60DAB and I think having the option android would be great future proofing.

jonboy said:
I have gone for a F60DAB and I think having the option android would be great future proofing.

How is the touchscreen on the F60SAB? The only reason I want to go F77 is for the capacitive touchscreen, all the other models are only resistive.

umirza85 said:
Aside from the deck & phone mount. Where did you get the double din mounting kit/fascia that works with the cup holders? Do you have a link or something, the only ones I can find are supposedly for the dash that doesnt have the cup holder.

Ordered it from the states in eBay, search for euromotorspeed, included the installation kit and fascia panel, which is just a flat panel, needs to be stuck on with double sided sponge tape...

Well, I'm slightly embarrassed to say that I', Porsche-free, having moved the 993 on a while ago, however I have a Pioneer Appradio 4 fitted to the 4x4, so my experiences might be useful.

Including dealer fitting, it came in at £540, which is a bit more affordable than the above units. I understand from other comments around the web that it can be an awkward installation, so I was happy to let the experts do it.

The Appradio 4 looks similar to the AVIC, but it doesn't have CD nor DAB. (DAB coverage is dire in West Sussex anyway). It does support BT streaming, or you can plug in an iPod (or phone, or memory stick), via USB, as usual, and you can ditch the CDs if you can be 4rsed to rip them to a device.

The following comments of course apply to the Appradio 4 (AR4), but might well apply to the AVIC and other MirrorLink units.

I got the AR4 to work with my ageing Nexus 4, using a Slimport adapter into the installed HDMI lead. Pioneer's appradio app is not good... it will mirror the phone's display, but you don't get touchscreen operation for non-Mirrorlink-enabled apps, so you need to mess about with the phone's screen, to get your app running. For non-ML-enabled apps, you need the 3rd party AppradioUnchained app, from Google Play, for around £20. This requires you to root your phone, but then you can use the head unit's display like your phone screen and run/display/interact with any of your apps. This allows me to use the excellent Nokia Here Maps app for navigation, and indeed TuneIn Radio, etc. :)

Good luck with your choice, HTH :thumb:
Roy.

royd999 said:
Well, I'm slightly embarrassed to say that I', Porsche-free, having moved the 993 on a while ago, however I have a Pioneer Appradio 4 fitted to the 4x4, so my experiences might be useful.

Including dealer fitting, it came in at £540, which is a bit more affordable than the above units. I understand from other comments around the web that it can be an awkward installation, so I was happy to let the experts do it.

The Appradio 4 looks similar to the AVIC, but it doesn't have CD nor DAB. (DAB coverage is dire in West Sussex anyway). It does support BT streaming, or you can plug in an iPod (or phone, or memory stick), via USB, as usual, and you can ditch the CDs if you can be 4rsed to rip them to a device.

The following comments of course apply to the Appradio 4 (AR4), but might well apply to the AVIC and other MirrorLink units.

I got the AR4 to work with my ageing Nexus 4, using a Slimport adapter into the installed HDMI lead. Pioneer's appradio app is not good... it will mirror the phone's display, but you don't get touchscreen operation for non-Mirrorlink-enabled apps, so you need to mess about with the phone's screen, to get your app running. For non-ML-enabled apps, you need the 3rd party AppradioUnchained app, from Google Play, for around £20. This requires you to root your phone, but then you can use the head unit's display like your phone screen and run/display/interact with any of your apps. This allows me to use the excellent Nokia Here Maps app for navigation, and indeed TuneIn Radio, etc. :)

Good luck with your choice, HTH :thumb:
Roy.

Thanks for the details Roy!

declandio said:
Have seen the Alpine CarPlay unit (brand new) for under 500 quid these days. either they're not selling well are are due to be replaced with a new model?

I think it's worth holding out to see what these Parrot RNB 6's are going to be priced at. They look amazing!

http://blog.parrot.com/2015/01/05/c...most-advanced-in-vehicle-infotainment-system/

Im thinking about holding out for the RNB6 but the fact that it needs a phone to do a lot of the stuff is a put off. For instance the Pioneer Avic F77DAB (Avic 8100NEX - us model equivalent) has Nokia Here maps built in so I could still navigate without having anything attached. Also the Avic does mirrorlink, and pioneers AppRadio (which tbh doesnt seem worth the hassle).

There just isnt enough information out about the RNB6 to make a proper decision at this point I guess. Might be worth waiting for as the F77DAB is priced pretty ridiculously.

umirza85 said:
Im thinking about holding out for the RNB6 but the fact that it needs a phone to do a lot of the stuff is a put off. For instance the Pioneer Avic F77DAB (Avic 8100NEX - us model equivalent) has Nokia Here maps built in so I could still navigate without having anything attached. Also the Avic does mirrorlink, and pioneers AppRadio (which tbh doesnt seem worth the hassle).

There just isnt enough information out about the RNB6 to make a proper decision at this point I guess. Might be worth waiting for as the F77DAB is priced pretty ridiculously.

It seems to have a 'stand alone' mode for use without a mobile phone connected, and that mode has integrated navigation... since it runs on Android, it's probably Google Maps based Nav.

http://blog.parrot.com/2015/01/05/c...most-advanced-in-vehicle-infotainment-system/

"Use the RNB6, powered by Android 5.0 in stand-alone mode: Integrated navigation system"

declandio said:
umirza85 said:

It seems to have a 'stand alone' mode for use without a mobile phone connected, and that mode has integrated navigation... since it runs on Android, it's probably Google Maps based Nav.

"Use the RNB6, powered by Android 5.0 in stand-alone mode: Integrated navigation system"

Thanks for clarifying. Still a tough decision. I really like Nokia here maps and havent had too much success with google maps navigation unless its changed a lot of the last year.

I found that it didnt give me very much advance warning about roundabouts and told me almost when I was at the roundabout which exit to take (using my phone). And being a new driver in the UK thats a great way to end up spending time at a body shop :nooo: I found Nokia Here and Waze greatly superior in the navigation department, very clear and concise instruction along with ample warning or turns etc...

Maybe its different when using maps from a device like a stereo vs phone?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drthein
Back