Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Might buy a new M3 or M4

s2000db

I think it's time to replace my trusty R32 with something else as a daily driver..

Have explored the Golf R option and while it drives very well, it's about £40k when fully specced with only the basic options! So that's why I'm looking a bit higher at the Beemer, which can be had with good discounts at the mo.

Any hints or tips on this plan, or am I just mad? :mrgreen: [/list]

Not mad at all!

I was following a new 'R' this morning in my 996tt and boy those things can duck and weave. It was early and I wasn't in 'race' mode so I enjoyed watching him do his 'scalded cat' impression when I came up behind him in 'Ness'. It was like the 'Italian Job' (but, er, in Watford........) as he whizzed in and out of traffic so he could win :grin:

Anyway from my 'morning commute mode' relaxed vantage point I was impressed how rapid and nippy it looked. But the four huge exhaust tips at the back just look......silly.....I was passing an A1 RS thingy with them the other day and that looked ridiculous with it's four exhausts :nooo:

Anyway, that's no help!

Both M3 and M4 look terrific - enjoy your experimenting! I don't think you're mad at all :thumb:

Thanks Paul...

Well I'm thinking that 0-60 in 3.8 and 100 in 8.8 isn't too bad.. :mrgreen:

s2000db said:
Thanks Paul...

Well I'm thinking that 0-60 in 3.8 and 100 in 8.8 isn't too bad.. :mrgreen:

Be keen to know if the driving experience matches the raw grunt..... :?:

I used to own a tuned mk6 golf R - I can honestly say they are incredible cars !

Have also driven a couple of the mk7 R's and they are even more impressive ! A simple stage 1 map on these puts them in the very low 12's over a qtr mile which is about the same as a stock 996t !!!!

With a bit of haggling I'm sure you could buy a well specced new one for around £36k or why not buy second hand ? Seen a few for high 20's with minimal miles

As a daily driver id have the golf over the m3/m4 ;)

I was driving along "enthusiastically" in my TVR Tamora when at a set of lights a Golf R pulled up next to and told me that he had being trying without success to keep up with me for about 3 miles....i hadn't even realised he was trying to "race" me...............

huntert said:
I was driving along "enthusiastically" in my TVR Tamora when at a set of lights a Golf R pulled up next to and told me that he had being trying without success to keep up with me for about 3 miles....i hadn't even realised he was trying to "race" me...............

All that proves is the golf driver was talentless ;)

I've owned a couple of TVR's and they were utter rubbish - although to be fair - not driven a tamora

Well having driven both now, the Golf as always is very easy to drive, much quicker than the R32, but doesn't quite have that solid feel..

The BMW is very quick, a bit of turbo lag, tenacious road holding, but numb steering. The interior and equipment especially the Pro Satnav is the best in the business. Actually the difference between the two is less than £10k for similar spec!

Golf R turbos don't like tuning btw, there's plenty of stories of them failing with a mild tune..

Sustanon400 said:
I used to own a tuned mk6 golf R - I can honestly say they are incredible cars !

Have also driven a couple of the mk7 R's and they are even more impressive ! A simple stage 1 map on these puts them in the very low 12's over a qtr mile which is about the same as a stock 996t !!!!

With a bit of haggling I'm sure you could buy a well specced new one for around £36k or why not buy second hand ? Seen a few for high 20's with minimal miles

As a daily driver id have the golf over the m3/m4 ;)

No doubt the Golf R is a talented car, but if I bought one, I'd always be wondering why I didn't get a BMW M135i.

There have been a few turbo failures on early mk7 r's but this turbo issue has now been sorted

Plus , as a daily driver , the AWD golf is far more appealing to me than the RWD M3/4 , particularly in this country when it seems like the roads are wet half the time
:frustrated:

Sustanon400 said:
huntert said:

I've owned a couple of TVR's and they were utter rubbish - although to be fair - not driven a tamora

Drive a Tamora, T350 or a Sag and they are awsome. The Cerb and the Tuscan ore like sledge hammers, sooo fast but a real handfull.

huntert said:
Sustanon400 said:
huntert said:

Drive a Tamora, T350 or a Sag and they are awsome. The Cerb and the Tuscan ore like sledge hammers, sooo fast but a real handfull.

Lol - that's what I had , a cerb and Tuscan - the Tuscan being the worst handling car ive ever driven !!!! God knows what I was thinking buying such an awful pos !!!!!

To be fair , the cerb was spectacular (when it worked !!!!)

Sustanon400 said:
huntert said:
Sustanon400 said:
huntert said:

Lol - that's what I had , a cerb and Tuscan - the Tuscan being the worst handling car ive ever driven !!!! God knows what I was thinking buying such an awful pos !!!!!

To be fair , the cerb was spectacular (when it worked !!!!)

Ha ha, chassis a bit errr...lively? The Tamora was different class...in the dry :)

s2000db said:
Well having driven both now, the Golf as always is very easy to drive, much quicker than the R32, but doesn't quite have that solid feel..

The BMW is very quick, a bit of turbo lag, tenacious road holding, but numb steering. The interior and equipment especially the Pro Satnav is the best in the business. Actually the difference between the two is less than £10k for similar spec!

Golf R turbos don't like tuning btw, there's plenty of stories of them failing with a mild tune..

You sound decidedly on the fence!

Have you tried a Macan yet?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mint_Sauce
Back