Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Anyone use a 964 as a daily.....?

New997buyer

I'm on my second 996 and have a real hankering for a 964. Targa.

As a daily.

Am I mad.....?

Only in London :grin:

Go for it!!! :clap:

alex yates said:
Only in London :grin:

Go for it!!! :clap:

Let me clarify! My 'daily' is 6-8 miles Greater London traffic and then 30 miles on the M1 each way. 2-3 times per week on an average year. I also have to travel to client's as well, so trips of 100 miles aren't uncommon.

And I'm originally from Scotland so travel 'home' at least twice a year.

So 'daily, does really mean 'daily........ :eek:

A sorted 964 makes an excellent daily driver and every trip feels special in it. Only issue I ever had was very slow continuous stop/start driving where my clutch leg got tired, not because it's heavy but because traffic is sometimes too slow to idle in 1st so you have to press and release constantly. Not a problem in a tiptronic of course. I've had 2 964s and they were equally great, especially after I fitted Steve Wong chips which gave them lots of low down grunt.
Oh yes the sound of a 964 slowly cruising with the windows down (imagine with the targa top down!) is one of my favourite sounds ever.

I had a guy call round to pick up an amp from me last week. He had a 964 for 4 years and for the 1st 2 it was a daily. He said it was great and not too much hassle (no more than he expected). It then became a weekend toy and turned in to a nightmare. He said everytime he took it out, something else had seized up.

I would imagine you might find it a bit "agricultural" after a 996 turbo especially for a daily drive ......... :dont know:

madalaa said:
I would imagine you might find it a bit "agricultural" after a 996 turbo especially for a daily drive ......... :dont know:

I had wondered that.............hence keen to get other's experiences and views..... :dont know:

But I really do like the look of one............ :cloud9:

Are you coming to the Fairmile on Wednesday? ........ there will be a couple of 964s there I daresay ........ the weather is looking good and it is the first Fairmile meet of the year.

Heating/ventilation will feel prehistoric compared to a 996 especially if you're driving it all year. Bonus in winter is hot air after two minutes :thumb: For summer and being stuck in traffic I'd get one with (working) AC.

Trouble is driving it as a 'daily' it wont feel special for long :what:

Had a 964 turbo as my only London car. Didn't need it mid week and to be honest it was a bit of a pain driving through central London in the weekend when stuck in traffic.

It can be done but you will get tired of it.

My advice is buy a cheap Audi or something for the commute and enjoy a decent stereo, air con basically the mod cons you 996 probably offers.

Still buy the 964 but just keep is for weekend drives that don't involve central London traffic.

Zingari said:
Trouble is driving it as a 'daily' it wont feel special for long :what:

Interestingly that's partly what I love about my Porsche experience: it stops being special quite quickly from a novelty perspective. But then a different 'special' happens, something more deeply felt.

I love that for me its 'just a car' :dont know: Doesn't mean I love it less, it's just different.

I mean 964's (all 911's) were always designed as 'dailys'.....? :?:

Dream911 said:
Had a 964 turbo as my only London car. Didn't need it mid week and to be honest it was a bit of a pain driving through central London in the weekend when stuck in traffic.

It can be done but you will get tired of it.

My advice is buy a cheap Audi or something for the commute and enjoy a decent stereo, air con basically the mod cons you 996 probably offers.

Still buy the 964 but just keep is for weekend drives that don't involve central London traffic.

Cheers for that - I'm not Central London (I'm Zone 5) and travel out mostly, rather than in. And when it is 'in' like most folks I'll use the tube. :thumb:

But I could go down that path now, park up my 996 turbo and watch it appreciate :chin:

But I quite enjoy my 'daily' to be interesting to me. The only time I've had a 'box' was when I bought a VW Bora 12 years ago, and even then I went for the V5 :grin:

Plus financially I'd rather just have a single car and for me a 964 Targa seems to fit the bill. :?:

So......

My list is narrowing.

Targa (lower value but I love the styling) is in, but check for historic water damage in the tin.

Air Con - yes please, and don't mind if not working as I know a man etc.

Body - must be sound. Don't care about cosmetics or paint, as long as solid.

Colour - I prefer a darker but beggars etc.

Interior - not bothered. All available. Plus a Targa is likely to have been wrecked anyway ( :?: )

Manual - I can live with the tip on my turbo (and in many ways it's better but then I am just an average driver..... :whistle: ) but for NA cars I do prefer a manual

Running gear - all fixable and basic so again not that bothered. As long as it works it'll be a rolling project.

Have I got that right....? Anything else I've missed?

And should I sell mine first or find someone who wants a swap....? :?:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back