Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Spectators killed at Nurburgring VLN Race - Updated

quattrosteph

During the VLN at the Nurburgring at Nissan GT-R "took off " on a bump and landed on the other side of the fence killing some spectators. Not good at all.
Dangerous place that Nordschleife......I have been watching the VLN race many times before , I have been fortunate enough to do a passenger lap during a VLN practise 2 years ago. Amazing the speed they do on that track. No much space for mistake. Very sad.

29-3-15
The German motorsports federation has temporarily banned GT3 cars at the Nurburgring Nordschleife circuit following Saturday's fatal incident.

A fan died on Saturday during the opening round of the VLN series after the Nissan of Jann Mardenborough got airborne at Flugplatz.

The car jumped over the barriers and landed upside down in the spectator area, killing one man and injuring two more.

On Sunday, the German motorsports federation, the DMSB, suspended the racing for certain vehicle types at the Nordschleife.

Vehicles of the SP7, SP8, SP9, SP10 and SP-X classes will not be allowed to race at the track until further notice.

The decision puts the Nurburgring 24 Hours in question, as it means no GT3 or GT4 cars would be allowed to race in the event, which takes place in May.

"We are all still deeply shocked and our thoughts are with the family of the victim," said DMSB chief Christian Schacht.

"The security of the participants and especially the spectators must be a top priority.

"Therefore, we need to analyse the details of what happened, discuss and then implement the necessary measures.

"Only after that vehicles with similar specs as the one in the accident can get back on the Nordschleife."

Mardenborough's car has been impounded by the German authorities to be analysed.

Nissan said the two other injured spectators have been released from hospital.

Mardenborough has completed a series of medical tests and has also been released.

Jeez. Not good.

Very sad

Not good at all , been to watch the VLN myself

Sad news, any idea which setction it happened ?

One spectator has died and others have been injured in an accident involving Jann Mardenborough's Nissan in the VLN Endurance race on the Nurburgring Nordschleife.

The Nissan GT-R NISMO GT3 that Mardenborough was sharing with Kazuki Hoshino and Wolfgang Reip went over the debris fence in the crash at the Flugplatz corner.

A VLN statement said: "The opening round of the VLN Endurance Championship at the Nurburgring was marred by an accident on Saturday which injured several spectators.

"One of the spectators died, despite the immediate actions of the rescue crew in the medical centre at the circuit.

"The other injured spectators have been taken to hospital for ongoing medical care.

"The race was stopped to give emergency crew quick access to the circuit, and wasn't restarted.

"The accident occurred in the Flugplatz part of the circuit, with a competitor leaving the circuit for a yet unspecified reason and finishing up behind the safety fencing.

"The VLN and the organisers are deeply saddened by the accident, and their thoughts are with the families and friends of the victims."

Mardenborough got out of the car without assistance and was taken to hospital for what a Nissan statement described as "further routine checks" after an initial examination in the track's medical centre.

The Nissan statement added: "Today's events have been a tragedy. We are all deeply shocked and saddened by these events and our immediate thoughts go to the deceased, those injured and their families and friends.

"The team is fully co-operating with the race organisers to conduct an immediate and thorough investigation into this incident."

The Nissan was entered in the opening round of the Nordschleife-based series in preparation for this year's Nurburgring 24 Hours.

http://m.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/118267

This one has me slightly angry. The VLN GTRs have been lifting their nose there in a dangerous manner for 2 years now and you could quite legitimately say that it was only a matter of time until this happened.

2013:

24h13_gtrwheelie.jpg

I think it's Flugplatz 2 . The GT-R are big cars and the undertray is massive compare to a GT3 Cup. A good bump at speed and the car will lift easily.
I have pictures of my turbo front wheels in the air at that spot, pictures taken by Frozenspeed and I don't go to speed the VLN cars go !!!!
It is a very bumpy track.

quattrosteph said:
I think it's Flugplatz 2 . The GT-R are big cars and the undertray is massive compare to a GT3 Cup. A good bump at speed and the car will lift easily.
I have pictures of my turbo front wheels in the air at that spot, pictures taken by Frozenspeed and I don't go to speed the VLN cars go !!!!

But if it's a known and historical issue then it is poor for all involved, especially the friend and relatives of the deceased.

Chris_in_the_UK said:
quattrosteph said:

But if it's a known and historical issue then it is poor for all involved, especially the friend and relatives of the deceased.

Agreed , this is an accident waiting to happen

When this happened to mercedes at lemans the cars were withdrew

***** nissan idiots, the driver was a gt academy driver. You cant take flugplatz at the same speed as on the ps3

That's just horrible. You have to have some sympathy for the driver too, this is a young lad (PlayStation GT Acadamy winner ) who going to have to deal with it.

Terrible for the spectators and the vln.

You are right. Racing cars do have bigger and bigger undertray. Make them stick to the ground till they hit a big bump and lots of air will lift the car and they will just rotate in the air .
To me those bumps should be reduce. Flugplatz 2 especially. Cars go quicker and quicker now. Also the spectators are so close to the track in some places it's shocking. Track, a bit of grass 2 meters if that and the fence. They have to review safety big time there.

Jonathon555 said:
***** nissan idiots, the driver was a gt academy driver. You cant take flugplatz at the same speed as on the ps3

That's a pretty unfair and inappropriate comment to make.

I have seen the GT-R there racing and it isn't the fastest. They are still big and heavy . The GT3 Cup, SLR AMG, R8 V10 are much faster. The surface of the GT-R is superior that's where the problem is.
I feel for the pilot , there is nothing he could do. He will have to live with it for the rest of his life....awful.

Senoj said:
Jonathon555 said:

That's a pretty unfair and incorporate comment to make.

The comment is not unfair , not sure if the comment is incorporate though ??

If you know your car has a problem , fix it.

The car is carrying too much speed

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scratch
Back