Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Hello and picking up my first Porsche

superbow

Hi guys, new to the forum.......hello!

After having a few M cars, M3 evo, Z3 M coupe, M3 csl, Z4 M coupe, M3 V8. ..... I thought it was time to pop my Porsche cherry!

I am excited to be collecting a 911 Carrera 2S 997 gen 2 on Saturday. I'll post some pics when I get it.

Is there anything I should be aware of on ownership of the 911 as I know little about Porsche cars with being new to the marque.

Looking forward to being in the 911 club so to speak. :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :dont know:

superbow said:
Is there anything I should be aware of on ownership of the 911 as I know little about Porsche cars with being new to the marque.

I'll kick off with No.1

1. The engine is in the rear.

ps. :welcome: to 911uk :thumb:

:welcome:
When the car is cold do not drive like a bat out of hell until the oil is throughly warm, 90 on the left hand side dial.
Enjoy Saturday, they truly are special cars.
Mine is a daily driver, 4 miles to work and back.On Saturday I went to visit OPC Wilmslow via the various motorways and boy I had forgotten how powerful and stomach churning the car was!
DRIVE IT HARD WHEN WARM AND ENJOY. Oh also be careful. :thumb:

Welcome, and looking forward to photos and details on spec in due course - bet Saturday can't come soon enough, here's hoping its a nice day for you.

As already said make sure its warmed up fully before giving it some stick.

If you're getting it from an official Porsche dealership (OPC) that'll mean you'll have the Porsche Warranty. This is a great warranty but does require you to fit Porsche parts right down to their own battery, wipers etc etc. So be careful before you change anything!!

And battery is another good point to be aware of. Porsche's seem to be a living power consuming being even when switched off and parked up. If the battery is good no real problem unless parked up for a while. However, if battery is a little past its best, you may find it sounding a bit flat when you start after say a week or two. Also the battery is in the front boot, which releases electronically, and if the battery goes flat ......a bit of a pita to get in!! A large number of owners have a CTEK type charger which maintains the battery when its parked up. Mine just connects through the ciggy lighter socket between the seats and keeps it raring for use, its also a C2S Gen 2.

Lastly if parked for circa a week you'll find the remote for the door will stop working, the car shuts it down presumably to try and save power. Just put the key in the door lock, turn it and before removing press the remote button and bingo its working again.

Lots of help and guidance on here, I'm sure you'll enjoy it!!

:welcome: :useless:

Wecome. You have bought wisely as the 997.2 is the sweet spot in the entire 911 range. As previously mentioned, warm it up well before enjoying it.

T8 said:
I'll kick off with No.1

2. Bags go in the front.

Otherwise, gear changes sound a little agricultural and will require the car to be warm to be able to find first. If you want to make the cold experience worse, but the warm change massively more accurate, fit an SSK.

Check your Geo and ensure it's correct as they eat tyres.

Brakes are relatively under-servoed, especially in comparison to the M3. Remember to push, you will be rewarded. Try not to push too hard with warm tyres. You'll get a shock.

Send yourself to a track day. I can highly recommend the Porsche Experience Centre in Silverstone. It will be worth it just to understand how to deal with the back end should it slip.

:welcome:

T8 said:
superbow said:

I'll kick off with No.1

ps. :welcome: to 911uk :thumb:

:floor:

Thanks for the replies.......I have a CTEK charger so will be using it. Hope it is a dry day when I pick it up.......but it can't be any worse than when I test drove it........it was in flash floods, heavy rain, hale & snow!

I felt that the brakes needed a harder shove.......I have done some track days with the BMW car club which are great fun.

I'll be doing a full detail on the car when we get some better weather and time allows, as I do detailing as part of my work, amongst other things.

:D :D :D

superbow said:
I felt that the brakes needed a harder shove.......

Spot on. Porsches have very good brakes but they're not over servoed, unlike a lot of other makes, just nicely balanced of you ask me.

I'd support the point about the battery - keep it on float charge if you're not going to use the car for a week.
The point I'd add is not to worry about oil consumption. My first response to seeing the oil level gauge drop over 1500 miles was that something was horribly wrong. Got is checked by an OPC and was told all was fine. After many miles of enjoyable driving the consumption has stayed at the same rate. Some cars don't use any oil. Mine uses 1L per 1500m and is prob at the high end.
Still don't understand how a precision engineered engine can be so variable in oil consumption. Every BMW I've owned has never used a drop. Though I have had thirsty Audis.

Welcome Superbow, that's an impressive back catalogue!

The good news is you've bought a model with the least to talk about in terms or what to be aware of. Warming the engine and keeping on ctech will no doubt be part of your routine having owned M cars.

The boring bits. Running costs should be less than the M cars. Fuel consumption should be in line with the Z4M and certainly better the M3. Insurance should be less. Servicing should be cheaper unless your need to replace anything (This is where they invoke Porsche tax!) There are many, many opinions on warranty. As noted, if you have one you'll also have to keep everything bog standard (battery, tyres, wipers audio etc.) which is limiting and adds to the cost of ownership IMHO.

Power delivery and handling are less visceral than M cars but the 997 is hugely involving when you push on. It's difficult to define the "special" feeling, but there is loads of it :)

Having been through a very similar ownership pattern (Still haven't sold the Z4M!). These are other things I've noticed. The neighbours feel compelled to tell you about their Porsche experiences or plans to own one, when they might only ask you what the M car is. Other road users are generally friendlier but don't expect all owners to share your passion. Depending on where you are in the world, many drivers choose a 911 in the same we others choose a VW Golf.

You'll no doubt find this a very friendly, helpful community with knowledgable regular contributors. There are also large communities on Tipec, rennlist, 6speedonline etc. The US facing ones have loads of info on modifying. And there's always Pistonheads if you want to debate how much your car might be worth in a year :D

Pics and spec please!

RCS said:
Lastly if parked for circa a week you'll find the remote for the door will stop working, the car shuts it down presumably to try and save power. Just put the key in the door lock, turn it and before removing press the remote button and bingo its working again.

A quicker way to re-activate the remote is to just pull the door handle (as if you were opening it normally). Then the remote will work again... :thumb:

John H said:
RCS said:

A quicker way to re-activate the remote is to just pull the door handle (as if you were opening it normally). Then the remote will work again... :thumb:

Oooooh I'll have to try that - mine came from previous 986 ownership, where your technique didn't work, obviously technology moves on :lol:

Finally got round to picking up my first 911 yesterday afternoon. Shame the weather has been so crap, but the sun came out for the first hour of collection.

Decided to take it for a run out where I could open the taps a bit......love how the car dances on the road when pushing on, but at the same time feels planted.

Midnight blue metallic with stone grey leather. Extras on standard spec are....

PDK, xenon cornering lights, colour wheel centres, pcm 3 extended navigation, telephone module, universal audio interface, base surround, 6 disc cd/dvd changer, rear wiper, park assist, Heated Seats, Adaptive sports seats, chrono package plus, Heated steering wheel, voice control, multifunctional steering wheel, porsche tracking system, windscreen with grey top tint, floor mats.

http://s202.photobucket.com/user/superbows/media/Mobile Uploads/20150328_144928.jpg.html?sort=3&o=2

Looks great! Congrats.

Love the wheels.... But then I would!

:thumb:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back