Welcome to 911UK
The only place for Porsche, 911uk is the definitive enthusiast and resource site for the Porsche 911.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so join up today for full access to the site and benefit from latest member offers.

Porsche Classifieds
Porsche Buyers Guides
Sell Your Porsche on 911uk
Create a Free Classified Advert
Search Ads
Classified Adverts FAQ
Trade Classified Information
Buyer & Seller Fraud Protection
Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI)
Porsche Car Sourcing
Porsche Cars Wanted
Model
Stock
Porsche 911
991 : 2011- 4
997 : 2004- 68
996 : 1997-2005 45
993 : 1993-1998 7
964 : 1989-1993 1
Carrera 3.2 : 1983-1989 0
Carrera SC : 1977-1983 0
930 Turbo : 1975-1989 1
Early 911 : 1964-1977 1
Porsche Other Models
Classic : 1950-1965 1
Boxster : 1997- 17
Cayman : 2005- 15
Cayenne : 2003- 12
Macan : 2014- 3
Panamera : 2009- 3
912-914-924-928-944-968 5
959 - CarreraGT - RaceCar 1
Car Parts For Sale & Wanted
Other Items For Sale & Wanted
Wheels Tyres For Sale & Wanted
Number Plates For Sale Wanted

Porsche Services
Porsche Body Shop Repair
Paint Protection & Body Wrapping
Porsche Classic Insurance
Porsche Classic Parts
Porsche Classic Restoration
Porsche Design Collection
Porsche Engine Gearbox Rebuild
Porsche Heritage & History
Porsche News
Porsche Picture Gallery
Win a New Porsche 911

Porsche Parts
Body Parts, Body Styling
Brakes, Clearance
Electrical, Exhausts
Engine Cooling, Engine Electrical
Engine Rebuild, Heating Cooling
Interior Incar, Lighting
Rubber Seals, Service Parts
Steering, Suspension
Transmission, Workshop Tools
Early 911, 911 - 930, 928 - 968
964 - 993, 996 - 997, Boxster
Cayman, Cayenne, Panamera

Porsche Model Range
911 [991] 2011-Current
Porsche 911 [991]
911 [997] 2004-Current
Porsche 911 [997]
911 [GT] GT1-GT2-GT3
Porsche 911 [GT]
911 [996] 1997-2005
Porsche 911 [996]
911 [993] 1993-1998
Porsche 911 [993]
911 [RS] RS-RSR
Porsche 911 [RS]
911 [964] 1989-1993
Porsche 911 [964]
911 3.2 1983-1989
Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera
911 SC 1977-1983
Porsche 911 SC
911 [Early] 1964-1977
Porsche 911 [Early]
Boxster & Cayman
Porsche Boxster & Cayman
Cayenne & Panamera
Porsche Cayenne & Panamera

911uk Site Partners

M
Trainee

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loving this thread & the attention to detail .... Great car Mark.
In the fastest colour too!
M

MarkGolf
Nürburgring

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Stimpy, thank you! I used Aerospace 303 as it is non greasy and easy to apply and wipe off. I sometimes use Chemical Guys barebones, this gives the same look and seems to last longer but is greasy and can attract dust. The aerospace has UV protection apparently, not that it matters in half the places I've used it Laughing

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/interior/303-aerospace-protectant/prod_366.html

On the window trims, I've used Gtechniq C4, this is great for permanent restoring black trim work.

Thanks M, certainly is the fastest colour Thumb

Has been a busy few days, initially getting it ready for the MOT and then having to get it ready for a BBQ around a friends house which turns out to be more like a car show in our circle.

I had managed to leave the interior light on so I was welcomed by a flat battery so a jump was required from the younger sibling.

I set about doing some quick jobs in order to reduce the size of my to do list.

Small window trim clip had split

New one

She was then moved outside

I applied Gtechniq C4 to all black window trim, mirror surrounds and some interior plastics which appeared faded such as the door pull and seat belt retainers. This is brilliant stuff, it is permanenet and really takes everything back to it's original finish. You wipe on and then wipe off to a satin sheen.

Pre-wipe off

Inner pull looks better in the picture than it was pre Gtechniq

After

Inner arches to go back on but treated to aerospace 303 inside and out.

Even the window switches got it, before and after

No pictures but I also waxoyled the areas which the bumpers bolt upto on the front and rear inner wings. There is essentially a ledge here where dirt will gather and eventually lead to rusting the body and hardware holding the bumpers on.

The front bumper under trim was missing a few speednuts, thankfully these arrived while I was working on it so I was able to put those on and screw the under trim back on, this was treated to Gtechniq to save me having to reapply 303 every other time I wash the car.

My headlight trim returned, now with a thinner coat of paint on the inside, I used some hard wax in here to help protect it that little bit more before popping them on. I had been looking forward to getting these on!

I was then able to give the car it's first wash, it was too dark at this point so no pictures again, slacking I know.

But, the next morning arrived, sunny skies upon setting off for my MOT, only to reach 2 minutes from the station for the heavens to open! frustrated

Being checked over. The guys at the MOT station are good friends so while on the ramp, having come prepared, I used some quick detailer and aerospace to give the underside a wipe down. thumbsup I also have an oil leak from the chain area cover but it can wait until it goes in for a service.

Road worthy for another year and back out into the wet she goes. Never happy about that, I'm not one to drive my cars in the rain, especially after so much work going into cleaning the underside and of course the new paint.

Back home and dry again, it was time to clean the interior. As much as the bodyshop tried to keep the inside clear, it is just impossible to escape the dust from the workshop, it goes everywhere! So armed with a toothbrush, ear buds, leather cleaner, nail brushes and a hoover, the interior clean up begain. (I officially hate the rear shelf and rear window, what a pain that is to clean)

Next on my list is to have someone come and make the leather look newer, I don't want a retrim as that will look too new so I have found a guy that can remove/fill some of the creasing, recolour the faced and overall, present the seats in a fresher light Thumb Steering wheel also. He comes to you and it doesn't cost the earth, of course, I'll report back when that happens.

I then popped out for a drive and dropped the missus off so decided to get some quick snaps

I seem to only like taking pictures from this angle, sorry.

The passenger rear shock is higher than the drivers side rear so this just looks awful here but it's a rear shot. New lenses to go on soon along with the rear H&R's.

Bunch of new stickers

I then spent until 1:30am working on the body, I machine polished the car, simply to remove any polish which the bodyshop may have applied and then set about applying Zaino Z5pro with ZFX. This has been a long time favorite of mine.Smells great and leave a glassy finish, I've won a few best paint awards with my Golf when wearing this stuff so I like to stick with it and the whole Zaino kit.

Awaiting an electrician to come and fit strip light so I had to improvise.

The next morning, I woke up like a kid at Christmas, I wanted to see the results of my efforts and wow, I thought it was bright before but this was like it was painted another colour.

Crap pic but evidence that I do drive it

A long way since 16 months ago

Decided to take it to work today, the ABS light came on but after a restart, disappeared

Had to throw a loose cover much to the amusement of my colleagues, the company next are forever creating dust by chopping wood!

nooo

More to come soon I'm sure thumbsup
1994 Eunos Roadster S Special Turbo 270bhp!
1979 Mercedes 280e
1995 Golf VR6 3.0

Chief
Indianapolis

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Epic polishy cleany stuff Thumb
I just don't have that kinda patience Dont know

I love these cars, especially in red soooo much Cloud 9

igaffz
Albert Park

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cars looking fantastic mate, how you getting on with the tiptronic? I love mine and wouldn't swap it for anything!
Are you leaving the d90's or changing them?

MarkGolf
Nürburgring

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Chief, I could spend my life doing it, the girlfriend just won't let me however Sad

I think the tip suits the 964 actually and I have become quite fond of it, as much as I was initially against it. I would never normally buy a car with an automatic unless it was a Range Rover etc but the 964 feels so heavy and tank-like on the road that I don't think I would drive it any different with a manual, some of my other cars are much more nimble where the 964 doesn't so I tend to just cruise in this and enjoy the experience rather than race. I use the tiptronic itself as opposed to just putting it in D as I don't like how it tries to pull away in 2nd, so I still have some interaction with changing through the gears to stop me nodding off. Overall, I am happy with it and compared to a manual I had a quick go in, I'm saving my left leg a workout! Grin

The D90's will stay, I like the factory look espeically now the front is lower, should look a bit better once the back comes down a touch also. Although if some LM's or ETA Beta's I could be swayed Surprised Cool
1979 Mercedes 280e
1995 Golf VR6 3.0

Chief
Indianapolis

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm surprised you say heavy weight car Question
I have mine set so sharp i've embarrassed my pal's R8 and given a good "What's For" to a guy on the way to the Porsche club in his 991. I guess it's how you want the car to be thumbsup

MarkGolf
Nürburgring

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am surprised myself really, seeing as many people use them for track cars and the like. Maybe it's just the combination of heavy steering, balloon tyres and original rear shocks (until adapters come) that give the impression of a heavy car.

It's certainly not awful or even bad but I just notice the tank like feel when jumping in it from my 997 or as I did today, jumping from it into my Mk1 MX5 which is a dart compared, obviously. I find the 964 just takes some effort to steer and get it round a corner and I can feel the weight of the thing through the controls, I would be interested to weigh it just to see if it is psychological or if it is actually heavy.

Google tells me it's 1445 kg, dry, tiptronic so slightly heavier than the 997. Either way, still a joy and occasion to drive!
1979 Mercedes 280e
1995 Golf VR6 3.0

paul284pt
Albert Park

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mark,

Beautiful! You have done a fantastic job, the before and after photos are testament Thumb

Cheers,
Paul
2010- 964 Carrera 2 (1990) Redtek 3.8RSR
2012-14 Porsche Cayenne (2012)
2015-17 Porsche Cayenne Diesel S (2015)
2017- Macan Turbo Performance Package

MarkGolf
Nürburgring

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Paul,

I am very pleased with how the car has turned out, I find myself sitting in the garage just to stare at it Bandit What a shape, we're all very lucky
1979 Mercedes 280e
1995 Golf VR6 3.0

g60pops
Spa-Francorchamps

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work Mark, lot of hard work but a nice transformation.
I see you still have the golf, have you kept the rh wheels? ( I still remember
The bargain price from clubgti forum)
It been a long time but does your mate also still have his silver corrado?

MarkGolf
Nürburgring

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, blast from the past! How are you? Still got the VW or long gone now?

Nope, after he had the turbo conversion, he sold it due to the troubles, many many years ago now sadly, a real shame as that was one lovely car.
1979 Mercedes 280e
1995 Golf VR6 3.0

g60pops
Spa-Francorchamps

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah still have the golf g60 ed1 and the vw flip key for it that I bought of you way back in 2002!
You mentioned earlier that you may be interested in some eta beta krones, still the case? I only ask as I have a set available.

MarkGolf
Nürburgring

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I am interested in the 5 spoke twist ETA's, 18" I think...

Finished up the small jobs on the car over the weekend and gave it a clean, again.

New rear wiper bolt cap

Cap was missing on drivers side seat belt mounting.

New mirror mushroom button

New rear door card top washers

New drain grommets

Can see that I've already managed to scrape the underside coming out from my drive!! Ordered some new waxoyl so I can repaint the marks.

New reinforcement strip

Can see that I've already managed to scrape the underside coming out from my drive!! Ordered some new waxoyl so I can repaint the marks.

One thing after another, managed to spot a leaking PAS pipe, found the exact point so I've got a replacement return pipe on order, not sure if that's going to be an awkward job.

Finished up fitting parts and gave both the cars a good wash and top up of Zaino.

This is a photoshop but I'm undecided about stickering her with a carrera badge, I have a genuine one for the rear but not sure on it...

That's that for now. Cleaned and covered ready to take to a wedding in 2 weeks times. In the mean time, collecting a new toy and annoyingly going away for a week the next day Sad

Don't burn me, I can't wait, so much so I'm collecting it at midnight tomorow Bandit

1979 Mercedes 280e
1995 Golf VR6 3.0

M
Trainee

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great thread Mark and I'm learning all the time! Your car looks great.Thumb
I didn't even know they had drain grommets, another for the shopping list along with replacements for the rusty rear seat bolts..
I'm currently beating myself up about this originality thing. During my repaint I ordered a replacement C2 badge(s) for the rear but prefer it without, so have yet to fit them... But they came with those fitted!
I even took screenshots from a thread showing the exact position measurements.... Sounds like you and I would get along really well!

Cheers for now!
M

MarkGolf
Nürburgring

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks M!

The list soon grows once you start taking a close look around the car and noticing small parts you had never taken notice of before what

I'm on and off with the badge, I blue tac'd it on and I'm just not sure on it, does it look too plain without, does it look cheap with it on, I can' decide. Positioning, I havn't gone to your level but I may need your notes! Smile

Cheers,
Mark
1979 Mercedes 280e
1995 Golf VR6 3.0

carkid
Imola

1996 Porsche 993 Carrera 2

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great thread Mark- I admire your dedication and have to say the car looks the absolute business.....you can't beat a mint condition red 964 coupe....
It's good you are able to do much of the work yourself because if you were paying an OPC their hourly rate I imagine it would now have cost the same as Nigeria's national debt....

MarkGolf
Nürburgring

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I am happy with how it has turned out, still a few more bits to do but I've taken a break from it at the moment as the Focus is taking my attention at the minute. There is no way in hell I would have achieved what I have without being a bit handy, I would probably have to spend half of what the car is worth! Luckily I enjoy jumping into projects, I'll be looking for the next soon no doubt Very Happy

So not much has happened, I went away for a week to Amalfi Coast and the day after I got back, I had a wedding to attend so I decided on taking the 964 as the forecast was good and it would be a nice run from home over to Ascot.

I find just how small the 964 is compared to the Focus, or probably more how big the Focus is, completely dwarfs the 964!

Arriving at the venue

The car park was filled with various exotica but while I was hanging around, the 964 was the one which seemed to draw people over.

Anyone on here? 991 Turbo with T11RBO as the plate

Question

And some snaps on the way back, was the driver for the night while she got merry. Not a problem when getting to drive this back through clear roads.

Wish I didn't leave the spoiler up here

Home for the night

Cleaned the next day as the front picked up a fair few bugs

1979 Mercedes 280e
1995 Golf VR6 3.0

igaffz
Albert Park

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cars looking really sharp mark, time for some eta beta twists thumbsup

MarkGolf
Nürburgring

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love some but finding the right spec is hard, all the Golf boys have snapped them up Very Happy Annoyingly, about a year before getting the 964, a close mate had a set which he sold for £650 with perfect tyres and 18". Had no use for them back then and sold for well under what they were worth. PC

The novelty of the RS has worn off a bit now so I'm back to working on the cars. Yesterday I thought I would tackle the job of replacing the weaping PAS return pipe. I under estimated this, in my mind, I thought I would simply be able to get under the car and simply pull pipe out once undone.. If I were to write instructions after the whole experience, I would still write that but I would need to add loads of swear words in the middle. What a pig of a job it turned out to be but it's 90% of the way done at the time of typing this.

I'm sure the OPC way of removing this pipe would be to remove the rear trailing arm and ARB but I managed to get the pipe out by just undoing the shock mount to give a few extra mm's of much needed clearance.

So, this is the shiny new pipe from Porsche. Judging by the bag. it looks like it's sat around for many many years but the pipe itself is pristine and in perfect shape.

Hard to tell the leak from the wax sealent that's been sprayed everywhere but the pipe has a tiny tiny hole from sitting inside this little rubber bracket and when the system is working, i.e under pressure from steering, it weaps out and eventually drips.

First thing was to get the car in the air and I set about removing a metal under tray that covers the tunnel area in the centre of the car. Removing this exposes some lines, throttle cable and base of shifter.

I'm sure this had never been removed before and it was completed welded in place!

Undid the hose I was replacing and let the fluid drip into a catch tank. The fluid was black with a hint of red. I believe that this is ATF as opposed to PAS fluid. I have read that I should use Pentosin CHF11S but some say just refill with ATF Dextron 2 or 3... I have yet to refill so I will probably ask a question to fellow UK 964's rather than go off of the 10 year old Rennlist forum posts that are very varied in opinion.

No pictures happened for about 3 hours of wrestling with the bloody pipe. I could have cut it and pulled it out but I wanted to pull it out in one piece to make sure that I could get the new one in.. If I couldn't pull it out in 1 piece, then I wouldn't be able to slot the new one in Wink Logic!

So as I couldn't find any DIY guides for this at all, I was well and truly on my own and learning as I went, I try to do things in the easiest way possible and try and not disturb bolts that I don't need to but as my patience was wearing thin, my ideas were growing and undoing the rear trailing arm was becoming a reality, something I reallyyyyyyyyyyyyy didn't want to do. I took a break and had a coffee, wiped the dirt out of my hair and face and thought I'd give it one more go, it's a case of twisting and pulling and finding an angle that works, well, within 1 minute of taking that break, it popped out!! Woohooo!!

Pictures resumed

Although 2 pieces here as I took pride in showing it who was boss by snapping the bloody thing where the hole was.

A better view of the rust

i find it straight how it has rusted considering the rest of the car is rust free, this is now the last of the rusty pipes, it was only ever this and an engine oil return that were rusty and everything is perfect. Strange.

Refit time, I was expecting to have similar trouble, but the new pipe popped into place with ease, it was a bit tricky pointed the engine bay side up, I kept getting it caught up with the rear shock and having it go up inside the turret but after a little wiggle, it went where it needed to.

A simple job of popping all of the support brackets in place, new jubilee clips at both ends, centre tunnel cover refitted, rear shock and wheel bolted back on and that was me done for the day.

If you find yourself having to do this job, good luck, it's a ball ache, especially laying on a floor, a 4 poster and you'll have an easier life.

Feel very happy that it is complete, I just need to decide on a fluid and then bleed. Thumb

Boring update I know, sorry.

My rear shock adapters are on the way from the US so once those arrive and I get some newer style rear top mount rubbers, I'll be able to drop the rear end by fitting the coilovers finally.

Must get around to send Tore my CCU now, leather clean up and OPC service and then that's my to do list for this complete Smile

Until next time! bye
1979 Mercedes 280e
1995 Golf VR6 3.0

MarkGolf
Nürburgring

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not much to update here, I don't think I have driven it since the last update.

I've been spending many many many many hours making sure the paintwork is 1000% perfect as I'm about to apply Gtechniq Crystal Serum + Exo in order to protect the paintwork from swirl marks and save it from needing a polish for years to come. I have never spent so long perfecting a car and considering it was only just painted, it's taken longer than I thought.

Gave the car a pre-wash with fairy liquid, this removed all polish/wax/silicon on the car, bloody dulled some of the rubber too but nothing I can't sort.

Beginning of the process using a DAS PRO / Megs MF kit here. A safe option as opposed to a rotary with waffle pad.

Over the moon with the result of a bare finish, there isn't a single micro scratch on it, really looking forward to seeing how this looks once the gtechniq has been applied and everything else dressed.

I have my rear top mount adapters now so I plan to get the rear coilovers fitted over the Christmas break and then start using it again, can't wait!!
1979 Mercedes 280e
1995 Golf VR6 3.0

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: