Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 Turbo & OPC Tonbridge Service

ursicles

Spa-Francorchamps
Took my 996 for its bi-annual service at OPC Tonbridge today - minor service.

Service was all very functional ... tho was a little annoyed that they didn't have a porsche courtesy car but was told i could have a golf - turned out to be a GTD and a very good little motor! Still have preferred a Porsche to raz about in for the day!

Anyway... point of my post:

Minor service & brake fluid change... £344!

I was utterly impressed with the price. That was just the price - no special offer, no discount asked for or anything. Left the car at 930, was called at 3 to say its all done but to come down at 430 so they could give it a good clean - and they sure did that!

OPC also said car was perfect and nothing needed doing and that id bought a good one :)

Will be sad to see it go in June, but least i know someone will be getting a very good car!

If you were happy, fair enough. £344 is a good price.

I supplied my own oil and pollen filter and booked the service 5 weeks ahead.

My bill was under £250 (though just over £300 in total) and I got a 6 month old Boxster for the day.

They said the same about my car too. :grin:

Mine is in at OPC Notts tomorrow, i wonder if i will get a Boxster or a Golf? :dont know:

This will be the third time its been in - first two times due to 'Porsche Paranoia' cost me nothing at all (despite bonnet adjustment and replacement rear number plate bulb and fitting by OPC - and free taxis into work too!). This time the charge is £156 for a complete coolant pressure test (i think they quoted 2 hours but i might be wrong).

I have to say the service so far has been fantastic from them. So much so that i don't begrudge a £156 cost just to pump air into my cooling system lol! :floor:

I won't be leaving my local Indy in a hurry - but the service and prices at OPC Notts are far better than i expected :thumb:

I would be interested to hear what you get. Mine is in OPC Nottm next Monday, courtesy car booked. If it is something decent I might take the day off work for some driving ;)

MC

I've got mine booked into OPC Mid Sussex next week for a major. They are having for 2 days apparently so this could be interesting. :?:

VW GTD courtesy car? That's my daily driver so
I'm hoping for a Boxster! Knowing my luck it'll be a focus :nooo:

MisterCorn said:
I would be interested to hear what you get. Mine is in OPC Nottm next Monday, courtesy car booked. If it is something decent I might take the day off work for some driving ;)

MC

My money is on a Golf...but... I do keep joking with the chap in Service that I'm looking at using the 996T as a deposit on a new 991 Turbo.... :puh:

NickHappy said:
I've got mine booked into OPC Mid Sussex next week for a major. They are having for 2 days apparently so this could be interesting. :?:

VW GTD courtesy car? That's my daily driver so
I'm hoping for a Boxster! Knowing my luck it'll be a focus :nooo:

What's the cost Nick? I paid just over £800 at my local Indy for a major service (including sparks and coil packs) plus a few other bits. Are OPC far off that?

One thing i did notice tho... the courtesy cars are limited to 100 miles a day, tho not sure how closely this is monitored.

£750. http://porscheownerservices.co.uk/servicing/?model=68
Not a bad price really and I'm quite keen to keep all the service history OPC.

I think I need to make a timely call tomorrow to the sales department about a 991....... maybe they could let me get a "feel" of it over the 2 days my car is in :?:

I wanted a 6 month mid service oil change on my Turbo, as used a lot of oil on road trips to Greece and Alps and wanted it tip top for vmax and a Wales roadtrip this weekend...

Bought 10 litres of Mobil 1 off eurocarparts @ £74.
Took it to my OPC West London, 1 hour labour plus filter @ £106 in vat
They also performed a free health check, changed a number plate bulb FOC and washed the car inside and out (which is minimum £10 at most of the local places, not that it's ever take mine there)

So £180 for effectively a minor service :thumb:

Nickhappy - book time at OPC for a major service on a 996 Turbo is 7+ hrs and includes spark plug change. That is why they have told you they will want the car for two days. If additional work is identified, it may extend to a 3rd day. Typical add-ons at a major service are coil packs, loose heat shields and stuck waste gates. They may also identify rear disc corrosion on inner surfaces (the ones you can't see, but are MOT failures or advisories).

My OPC also test the cooling system by running the car at idle for around 40 minutes and just see what happens - they are looking for steam emanating from the rads, coolant leaks and overheating because (as they told me) "the car should regulate temperatures and pressures and be fluid tight under all conditions". If your car shows faults at this test, that will identify additional work.

Brake fluid change is every 2 years irrespective of mileage and is ADDITIONAL to the cost of the service. The fluid change is £100 but they may do it for £75 if its with a Major Service (all OPC prices inc VAT).

The OPC major service is VERY thorough and in my case they sent me a camera footage of the health check. Although it is fixed price at £750 inc VAT, because of the age of these cars, I'd be surprised if additional work was not identified, so expect to pay extra. Mine needed 2 new coil plugs but I instructed them to put 6 new ones and the coil plugs are not £28 as per Euro Car Parts but around £38 each as they are OPC supplied with genuine Porsche part numbers and packaging. I was shown all 6 coil packs when I collected the car and the two that needed replacing were shown in the camera footage.

Blinding glimpse of the obvious. Tell us something we don't know.

The point being made was that you have no choice at OPC because they only fit Porsche supplied parts for which you will pay more than the OEM price at Euro Car Parts.

Surprisingly OPC told me when I remarked about the ECP prices that they could not fit those parts, but some people choose (as in my case) to have two packs fitted at £38 each and then take the car to an Indy to have the other 4 changed at a cheaper price from ECP - but forget there is a couple of hours labour involved which wipes out the savings in the parts prices.

Some people use bizarre arithmetic me thinks. I just told 'em to change all 6 and be done with it and if any fail in the next two years OPC will do the job free of charge.

Blindingly important update: OPC Notts have given me a rather nice Cayman S in white (14 plate)

Long lunch for me and the gf today then, plus a drive tonight. Not given it any real throttle yet but the exhaust sounds great!

Flappy-paddles are a bit TOO close to the indicator stalks etc...i bet a lot of PDK drivers clean their front window when they actually meant to up shift :floor:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Autocraft1
Back