Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

PCM 3 Retrofit

monster

Imola
Finally managed to successfully fit a PCM3 into my 2005 997.1 Carrera S in place of its PCM2.1

Not an easy project, but got there in the end, and everything is working, nav, bluetooth etc.

Attachments

• img_5525_145.jpg
    img_5525_145.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 20,359
  • img_5523_105.jpg
    img_5523_105.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 20,359
  • img_5458_352.jpg
    img_5458_352.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 20,359
Fantastic work Monster, I just saw your reply to my first post on 6speedonline.

I really fancy having a go at this, I hope you get the A/C fully working soon.

Am I right in thinking you need :

PCM 3 head with Nav installed
Wiring loom to convert between PCM3 head and PCM2.1 existing Bose AMP
A/C fan unit
Sports button/Rear Fin panel
Unique codes to re- enable Sat Nav in my car.

I'm confused as to whether I need to get a new AMP or need to take out anything else as I don't have the CD changer and I already removed the telephone unit as I have a tooki at present.

Nice work. Now details! This is a job I'm going to do in my car. I have been hoping for someone to complete it successfully before I got round to trying.

A list of parts would be helpful and some info on how you have got this far.

Interesting. Was it possible to repurpose the components from a donor car or did everything have to be sourced new, specifically coded to your 997?

That's fantastic. If you could pop over and fit mine as well that would be greatly appreciated. :D

Looking forward to hearing what was required to do this.

Would love to do it myself too.

I, and assume many others, would be very very grataeful if could find time to write up the procedure, parts needed, tips etc and share with us.

many thanks
J

IMI A - Yes it was DIY, I tried for a year to find someone who could do it for me and no one could, most said it was not possible, so I was left with no choice but to do it myself - and once you get so far there's no turning back!

Slackster / Isysman - The major parts needed are:
PCM 3
Amp - BOSE or ASK depending on your car. Has to have a Gen 2 amp.
Interface loom from old PCM connectors to PCM 3 - or rewire Quadlock.
Bluetooth Hands free Phone Interface kit - if you want this option
Universal Audio Interface - if you want this option
AC controller - if you want to do the whole fascia - I have still not managed to get the unit to trigger my compressor yet.
PSM switch module
Codes

Disco - I sourced all the bits separately from different cars - all the main units secondhand. Codes have to be made with the vin number of your car for nav and the various option functions to work.

Its a difficult thing to write up a 'how to' - as all cars are different.
If you wish to do it, best thing is to buy the bits and most importantly get the wiring schematics for your car and a 997.2 - this will inform you of all the wiring changes you need to do. I can answer any individual questions you have along the way!

so how/where do you get the codes?

markiii said:
so how/where do you get the codes?

From a chap in Russia :grin:

He was the first guy to do this project, when he installed PCM 3 into a Cayenne.

His codes are good, he needs your VIN number to make them with, I know of a few others who have used him as well.

Great work :thumb: Out of interest do you know if it is possible to upgrade manual AC to auto?

I've lifted my game and now looking at GenII Cayman but a lot do not have fully auto climate control (identified by the AC Max button in lieu of the 'Auto'). I want full auto so I'm not constantly messing with the fan/temp settings.

Why people order with manual AC is beyond me especially when it's loaded up with PCM/Tel/heated seats etc :what:

monster said:
IMI A - Yes it was DIY, I tried for a year to find someone who could do it for me and no one could, most said it was not possible, so I was left with no choice but to do it myself - and once you get so far there's no turning back!

Slackster / Isysman - The major parts needed are:
PCM 3
Amp - BOSE or ASK depending on your car. Has to have a Gen 2 amp.
Interface loom from old PCM connectors to PCM 3 - or rewire Quadlock.
Bluetooth Hands free Phone Interface kit - if you want this option
Universal Audio Interface - if you want this option
AC controller - if you want to do the whole fascia - I have still not managed to get the unit to trigger my compressor yet.
PSM switch module
Codes

Disco - I sourced all the bits separately from different cars - all the main units secondhand. Codes have to made with the vin number of your car for nav and the various option functions to work.

Its a difficult thing to worse up a how to - as all cars are different.
If you wish to do it, best thing is to buy the bits and most importantly get the wiring schematics for your car and a 997.2 - this will inform you of all the wiring changes you need to do. I can answer any individual questions you have along the way!

I can see this will develop into a long thread!

For the parts you listed can you give any part numbers?

The Bose amp and the Bluetooth kit in particular.

The 'universal audio interface' is this the thing in the centre arm rest?

Zingari said:
Great work :thumb: Out of interest do you know if it is possible to upgrade manual AC to auto?

I've lifted my game and now looking at GenII Cayman but a lot do not have fully auto climate control (identified by the AC Max button in lieu of the 'Auto'). I want full auto so I'm not constantly messing with the fan/temp settings.

Why people order with manual AC is beyond me especially when it's loaded up with PCM/Tel/heated seats etc :what:

Sorry Zingari, I dont know anything about that - but I am sure it would be possible, depending on your technical capabilities - may even be near plug and play and a setting change with piwis!

I can see this will develop into along thread!

For the parts you listed can you give any part numbers?

The Bose amp and the Bluetooth kit in particular.

The 'universal audio interface' is this the thing in the centre arm rest?[/quote]

997.2 Bose Amp can be part No:
7PP.035.223.P
7PP.035.224.AA

I used one with the last of those 3 part no's although any will work.

Yes, the Universal Audio Interface is what lives in the centre armrest and is the loom and parts that make up the installation. Its part number is: 997.044.902.34 Its available as a tequipment retro fit kit. This kit is expensive as it comes with the code needed to activate this option in PCM3 - If you get hold of the Porsche TSB that details the retrofit of this kit you can see the component parts, which when bought separately are much cheaper, but there is obviously no code - but Porsche refuse to supply you with a code for this kit anyway as your vin number does not qualify. So buy the component parts and then buy the code separately from the chap i used - kit is over £500, component parts are circa £130 - plus code which is 150 euro.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spider69
Back