Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Making a start....

Osh

Paul Ricard
OK – so there are one or two things that I want to do to my new P&J; any help and advice would be appreciated...

1. I need a really good quality set of Porsche mats for her; the one's in the car now are OK but a bit worn and certainly aren't Porsche branded.

2. The soft top hood is going to need some TLC as it has some mildew mold on it. Portiacraft are going to fix this, for now – but, in future, is there a good treatment that can be applied to ensure a) it doesn't mold-up again, b) keeps it looking good, and c) helps extend the life.

3. For my job I seem to spend half my life on the (mobile) phone; see attached photo the car currently has a phone installed – I intend to rip this out as its less than useless. I'm intending to leave the main system in but have it connected to a proper Bluetooth unit so that I can link my phone up to it and not only make and receive calls but also stream music. Has anyone done this before – if so I'd love to know what you had fitted and why and what the results are. Ideally I'd love the new unit to also have a DAB function, too.
Por7_zps5lfjsd0t.jpg

4. I'll be speaking to DVLA on Thursday – have a plate in mind that I know has not been taken and hoping to get it as a bargain...

Oh - one other thing: why does one key have a yellow bit around it...?? Another dumb-newbie question:
Por8_zpscqcxkiow.jpg

Any thoughts and help would, as usual, be really appreciated. I'm sure there will be other things I want to do in time...

Osh

A word of notice before anything - the fuel tank on the C4S only measures the top 2/3rds of the tank and the bottom 1/3rd is electronically guessed, so if you only put £20 in when your light comes on, the fuel gauge won't register. So don't panic and think there's a fault - it's just a Porsche quirk :lol:

Weekly washing of my roof (and previous cars) keeps the green mould at bay, for intense spots, use a tooth brush or small nail brush with soapy water.

Maybe with the mats - just get a set of Boxster ones as they're the same but you only pay for the front 2 (if you're happy with your current rears).

I love what one forum member did with his phone/head unit, no doubt he'll comment in a bit :grin:

Gives you FULL internet/phone access and saves on sat-nav, etc.

alex yates said:
A word of notice before anything - the fuel tank on the C4S only measures the top 2/3rds of the tank and the bottom 1/3rd is electronically guessed, so if you only put £20 in when your light comes on, the fuel gauge won't register. So don't panic and think there's a fault - it's just a Porsche quirk :lol:

Cheers Alex - I did see this on one of your other threads; stored away in back of brain...

Osh

alex yates said:
I love what one forum member did with his phone/head unit, no doubt he'll comment in a bit :grin:

Gives you FULL internet/phone access and saves on sat-nav, etc.

THAT is funky! Never thought of going that far before...

Might look deeper in to that...

Cheers

1. If you don't care about the branding then just get the best quality model specific ones off eBay. Otherwise expect to pay a massive premium.

2. Get some Renovo products.
General tips:
- Don't use a jetwash
- Park it in a garage
- Don't park under trees, lamp posts etc.

4. Doesn't work like that. If it's on the DVLA website then it's a fixed price, if not and it's never been issued then you can request it, but it will go to the next auction.

I think the phone is epic! Mine has one (2004 model) and i really cannot fathom why someone would order that (unless it's automatically included in all 996 Turbos?). Despite never intending to use it (i might get a second sim and use it that way) i think it's kinda part of the 'look' of the older 996 model.

Mind you, i said that about the BOSE tape-deck in my 2007 350z

:oops:

Re 1. Last week I ordered a pair of OEM 987/997 mats from Design 911 for c£80 including p&p. they looked like the OEM mats but the quality was awful i.e Cardboard and Nylon rather than Carpet. I sent them straight back and got working with shampoo and an upholstery brush on the originals instead. If the carpets in your car are a good quality I wouldn't bother about the lack of a logo.

Re 4.5. The red and yellow bands on the keys are probably there to distinguish which key they are for setting the memory options. eg red = key 1 , yellow = key 2. You may find that there's reference to the colour coding in the owners book.

With regards to the mats - I do mine in the washing machine at home then hang them on the line to dry.

I've used Renovo on the last 3 cabriolets I've owned.

I used the Autoglym fabric roof treatment - worked very well would recommend :thumbs:

So I've been thinking further about changing the PCM in my car.

From the picture above you can see it's the standard Porsche double-din unit, however, it's NOT double din; its bigger. Double-din specified as 180 x 100 mm and my unit is 180 x 140 mm. Current unit is proper Porsche spec and does sat nav, radio/stereo/CD, phone and various trip/information stuff that gets picked up by the car.

I could just have a Bluetooth car kit installed and leave everything in place (except the phone which takes up knee room) but I was thinking, instead, of installing an Android device BUT they all seem to be 180 x 110 mm which would then leave a 30mm gap.

The unit I'm thinking of is: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Android-3...670?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item339b0d4ab6

Two questions:
1. How would I get the trip and performance information from the car to the unit and.
2. How would I fill the 30mm gap...??

I've read a lot of reports on the web which seem to give this unit the thumbs up. Just want to ensure i can keep as much of the information that comes through the current unit in any new device. Would this info come through some of the existing wiring and i can use an Android App of some description to bring that on screen...??

I might even rip out the CD holders , below the current unit, and the Panasonic CD changer which is taking up already little boot space as I'll be streaming Spotify or tracks of my handset so wont be using CD's...

Thoughts...?? Is it difficult to do...??

Any help would be much appreciated

Osh

i used the connects2 kit as linked above too. it's not plug and play tho, at least for me - needed a fair bit of fiddling, but then i was converting two single din to a double, whereas you already have the double din hole.
I understand it doesn't work with cupholder models tho?

I put in a pioneer sat nav thingy. microphone cable goes across teh bottom of the trim under the steering wheel and up inside the door seal, and the top pops out just in the corner on top of the dash. seems to work ok for calls, unless you're flooring it :)

you can also buy a little cubby hole to replace the cd tray.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrew bulloch7
Back