Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996TT vs 997 TT prices merging??

996turboseeker

At the risk of opening up a can of worms...

This time last year I came close to buying a 996TT. I nearly picked up a bargain and at the time good examples (manual, original, good condition) looked to be £25K+.

Fast forward a year and that looks to be £30-35K yet a quick search on Autotrader shows early 997TTs coming down to around £38-40K.

So I'm wondering why 996s are still appreciating at the same pace 997s are depreciating still and wonder what point people think the 997TTs might tip down to. I've obviously missed the bottom of the 996 market and I don't intent to miss the bottom of the 997 market!!

Thoughts??

This is a subject I've given a lot of thought to over the last couple of months.

I came to the conclusion that, at the moment, the merging of prices of like-for-like cars is still quite a time away.

Values of good, lowish mileage 996Ts have bounced back over the last 18 months to £30k-£35k (and more in some cases) and you can buy an early and/or high mileage 997T for not much more

BUT

The likely purchase prices for similar condition/similar mileage cars is still £10k+ apart.

Ask me how I know. :grin:

Clue =

I suppose this difference is to be expected as a 997T is likely to be at least 18 months newer and, as yet, the 996T has not attained classic status.

My personal view is that the 997T hasn't got much further to fall as values will be held firm by the gradual increase in 996T prices. It's one of the main reasons I bought now.

In a few years time, :dont know: , perhaps a 996T will cost more.

What I do know is ........ whilst both cars offer equally excellent value for money at the moment ....... a 997T is a big leap forward. They might be very similar under the skin but the 6 years extra R&D is really noticeable.

Hmmm il take the one on the right please...... :thumb:

T8

In what ways do you notice the difference/improvements? Is it comfort or performance or goodies or in what respect?
Just curious:)

Oz

The interior of a 997 is about 30 years ahead of the 996.

Just to put a spanner in the works maybe!! DONT SHOOT ME DOWN !!

I have a 996 TT with 80846 miles, however a FULL engine build by OPC Surrey at 69000 miles and a cost of over £13k (with officla inv), new Blienstien PS10 suspension, gyro disks, engine and gearbox mounts, etc the car has basically wanted for nothing both in terms of maint/service and perishables (all invoices available) Rear roll cage, genuine gt3 bucket seats, harnesses, carbon bonnet, interior, exterior GT2 front and rear ends (don proper like),,,the list is endless

OPC open day (admittedly Chiswick) said it was the nicest and cleanest 996 tt that they had ever seen!!! even underneath ???

Now here comes the humdinger, irrespective of milage, i do beleive my car is work circa £40+k (996 x50 manual) so has the cross over not already been made ? Or am i being an idiotic daydreamer !

T8, you've captured my dilemma in that picture! I've been lusting after silver 996TTs for a year now. I regret not buying then when a decent manual example was £25K. Now the bottom end for a good one looks to be £30K.

I can't reconcile myself to buy in at £30-32K when early 997TTs have broken below the £40K barrier. So these are my thoughts:

Can the 996 price really overtake the 997? If so I'll hang on for a 997!

Or are 997 owners thanking their lucky stars that 996 prices have risen 20% because I can only assume that will slow or halt 997 depreciation?

Having said that, 997 owners will almost universally be sitting on a whack of depreciation right now whereas 996 owners are seeing prices rise.

I've no idea about production numbers or the 'cool' of having the first air cooled 911, but I wonder whether prices hold meaning 997s are close to their floor level or whether an inevitable increase of 997s on the market this summer and next may resettle 996 prices back by 10% or so.

Either way I've missed the boat for now and don't have £40K to chuck around on a 997 that may still be going south on value.

What doesn't help is that as the 997 becomes more affordable, I'm starting to see it in an altogether more positive light. If they were to hit £35K I'd become extremely tempted!

If the headlights on the 996 Turbo were the same as the 997Turbo there would be very little difference in comparable cars. The 996 Turbo headlight design dates the car. :judge:
The 997 was a large leap forward in many ways, but it's those bloody silly headlights :?:

FRP said:
Now here comes the humdinger, irrespective of milage, i do beleive my car is work circa £40+k (996 x50 manual) so has the cross over not already been made ? Or am i being an idiotic daydreamer !
That would bring the cost of a similar condition/spec 997tt to £50k. Unlikely.

Nice car Terry.

Lordglenmorangie said:
If the headlights on the 996 Turbo were the same as the 997Turbo there would be very little difference in comparable cars. The 996 Turbo headlight design dates the car. :judge:
The 997 was a large leap forward in many ways, but it's those bloody silly headlights :?:

:agree:

Look at T8's picture above and play spot the difference:

1) Head lights
2) Strip of LED's in the vents
3) Fog lights
4) Wing mirrors
5) Wing vent has a line in it
6) Wheels

Not much else really...I'm only commenting on the 'look' of the car. I am sure it's a better car. :thumb:

Like has been said, the cars that are close in price probably won't be like for like. I've been looking at Boxsters lately, there is a similar thing gng on there. Low mileage, excellent example models of 986 are overlapping with early, high mileage 987s.

As for Turbos, I would buy a 997. The 996 is just too dated inside now for me. However make sure it's a good example, the cost of repairs can be eye watering.

996turboseeker said:
T8's response.

T8, you've captured my dilemma in that picture! I've been lusting after silver 996TTs for a year now. I regret not buying then when a decent manual example was £25K. Now the bottom end for a good one looks to be £30K.

I think you're right and I sympathise with your dilemma. I paid £29,995 21 months ago for a 2004 car with 48k miles. A similar car would cost at least 10% more today.

I can't reconcile myself to buy in at £30-32K when early 997TTs have broken below the £40K barrier. So these are my thoughts:

If I was considering buying one or the other today I'd have similar thoughts. Be aware though, I didn't find a 997T on the market for under £40k that I would consider buying.

Can the 996 price really overtake the 997? If so I'll hang on for a 997!

As I said before, I don't think this will happen for a few years.

Or are 997 owners thanking their lucky stars that 996 prices have risen 20% because I can only assume that will slow or halt 997 depreciation?

The rise in values of 996Ts has slowed the depreciation of 997Ts.

Having said that, 997 owners will almost universally be sitting on a whack of depreciation right now whereas 996 owners are seeing prices rise.

I'm not sure that's right. If 996T prices continue to rise I think (and obviously, hope) that 997T values will hold.

I've no idea about production numbers or the 'cool' of having the first air cooled 911, but I wonder whether prices hold meaning 997s are close to their floor level or whether an inevitable increase of 997s on the market this summer and next may resettle 996 prices back by 10% or so.

By virtue of the fact that they were produced for 5 years instead of 2.5 there are probably more 996Ts out there than Mezger engined 997Ts.

My view was/is that it's the Mezger engine that's driving 996T values back up. The 997T was the last of the Mezgers - ergo - it will also become sought after.

Either way I've missed the boat for now and don't have £40K to chuck around on a 997 that may still be going south on value.

In the same way that a good 996T represents excellent value for money at £30k a good 997T is the same for £40k. I don't think either will depreciate much.

What doesn't help is that as the 997 becomes more affordable, I'm starting to see it in an altogether more positive light. If they were to hit £35K I'd become extremely tempted!

If it came to a choice between a late, low mileage 996T and an average mileage early 997T for the same money you'd need to drive both to see which suited you. After driving 200 miles in each over the last 3 days it's a 'no-brainer'.

996turboseeker said:
Same number plate on both!!!

It's amazing what you can do with an old number plate and three bits of sellotape. :grin:

I think we're already at the crossover point with the C4S. The 997 C4S can be bagged for under £20k now and with the 350bhp 3.8 engine you're rocketed to 60 in 4.6 seconds (almost half a second quicker than the 996 equivalent).

It's all down to depreciation/appreciation curves and whilst the 997 is still in decline, the 996 has definitely hit rock bottom and possibly on the increase.

There was a time the 993 was the 'cheap'model and 996 more expensive.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back