Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

1st Year Anniversary - cost of ownership

Alex

Nordschleife
One year ago tonight I picked up my 996 from a local Indy. I must say, the time has flown and it's been the best year's motoring of my life (and great on here too) 8)

So I thought I'd just knock up a quick spreadsheet to see how much it's cost me.

To quickly summarise:

Car - £10,600
Insurance - £284
Miles covered - 8450
Required spends - £940
Non-required spends - £1,371

Total - £13,195

I did a whatcar valuation the other day that states Private Sale - £11,438.

Anyhow, here's the data:

Red are the jobs needed doing, blue are ones that I wanted doing

1st%20year%20Cost%20of%20Ownership_zpsfj4gbfro.jpg

Agree with the above comment.

First year costs getting the car as I wanted it. Much less after that.

That's what I'm hoping for.
All I have planned yet are some new rears, maybe alloy wheel refurb and service is due in April but will be cheaper than the last one.

Just come past a year too for me.

total miles 6000 and spend £3500 but that did include engine and box out and a bunch of future proofing plus new rear tyres dye to puncture. Still loving every minute of the car and worth every penny! Depreciation probably around zero I hope so not bad value for a supercar 8)

1st year

Hi Alex out of interest what was the make of the front tyres you went for , for £110

:?:

I stuck 2 Nankang NS2 225/40 18 tyres on, £55 each.
I got a lot of grief on here for doing so but I'll say this - I had conti sport contact 2 on before them and there is zero difference on handling, wet or dry.
As yet I've done 3k miles on them and they've hardly worn.
I was prepared to bin them and buy something else if they were cr4p, but as yet I can't fault them.

anvelopa-nankang-ns2-205-55r16-3efe8136b6ce0e4891-600-0-1-95-1.jpg

I did have an issue with the Geo set-up before I fit them, so didn't want to waste 2 'good' tyres until I was happy with it. Turns out everything is fine.

Kudos you did a lot yourself. I've seen it before but remind me what this secondary air pump fix is again please?

Oz

See here for 'secondary air pump'

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=99549&highlight=secondary+air+pump

I'm not too handy with a spanner and wouldn't tackle any 'big' jobs like doing a clutch change. I used to do a bit when I was younger (due to my Dad doing his own) like changing wheel bearings and cv-joints but then got in to the habit of taking it to a garage.

Now, thanks to the internet and books like '101 projects for your 996' + the fact I work from home and have more time on my hands, I'll have a go at jobs that I know I can save myself a couple hundred pounds on Labour.

Doing the aircon condensers is a perfect example of a simple job that saves ££££.

When you do your own work though, the job satisfaction and feeling far outweighs handing over £300 to someone.

Also, the money I save goes to more important things - like euro road trips & holidaying on the French Riviera :grin:

Just reading your post again Terry - T8

I love the '*Parking Against Fenceposts. :oops: '

My front bumper respray, which I listed as non necessity was some idiot reversing a Saab into the front of mine, even though he had reverse sensors!

(I reversed my Dad's 93 in to mine :nooo: )

Anyhow, got rid of a few unwanted stone chips in the process and gave me a chance to check and clean all rads :)

I'm with Alex here. Like to do as much as I can myself, planning to fit my new aircon rads and condenser as well as my designtek coil overs and control arms myself then get it geo'd and the aircon regassed at a garage:)

Oz

For my Jaguar XF, I have been meeting up with other like minded forum members at what we call Sunday club. It is a drop meet where we work on the cars together, nothing very serious more basic jobs and mods.
Since going there I have:
New disc's and pads all round
Painted calipers
Fit HID to low beam
Fit LED to high beam
Fit headlamp washers
Fit XFR skirts, diffuser & spoiler
Fitted Spires stage 2 quad exhaust
Modified boot opening for full auto opening.
Switched front grill to black

All fun stuff to do, most of the things much easier with a second pair of hands and experience from somebody else who has done the same previously.

I am working wondering if anybody has a location with space for similar with our 911's?

PS. I am currently in the US, 4am here can't sleep, thinking about collecting my new car from Worcester this coming Sunday. Heading down on the train Sunday morning, cruising back up the M5 and M6 Sunday afternoon.

Great summary of work done and associated costs Alex :thumb:

Club idea sounds good Matt 8)

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DD77
Back