Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Is an 8% engine failure rate acceptable? THREAD LOCKED

Status
Not open for further replies.

medicus

Albert Park
rottenbend said:
OK. Answer the OP's question. Do the 2001 996 have catastrophic engine failures. Yes or No? No tricks. A one word answer. Binary. See if you can manage it. I bet you can't. Over to you.

ill answer that, NO, as in no more than any other car, the 993 had similar problems, with its engine.

how many were sold?
how many had problems?
(not owners who panicked for no reason and changed them.)

ras62 said:
When fitted with the single row IMS bearing then yes that year 996 has a much higher chance of failure. Forget the opinions and look at PCNA figures in the recent court submissions. Early double row <1% later single row 8%.
As for comparing the wc engine to the 993 is just plain stupid.

i was not comparing, and my opinion is not stupid, much like yours.
i was drawing on the fact that all cars suffer from idiosyncrasies
and the 993 was no different, i know of lots of owners who cant drive for more than a month without the check engine light coming on.
again not comparing on a like for like, or a price for price, but EVERY car has something that is prevalent.

just enjoy the car.

medicus said:
rottenbend said:
OK. Answer the OP's question. Do the 2001 996 have catastrophic engine failures. Yes or No? No tricks. A one word answer. Binary. See if you can manage it. I bet you can't. Over to you.

ill answer that, NO, as in no more than any other car, the 993 had similar problems, with its engine.

how many were sold?
how many had problems?

I'm sorry but that statement is not only totally misleading but factually wrong.

My only "issue" with the 996 is people who stick their head in the sand as per the above :roll:

As I've said earlier in this thread, great cars, great VFM and TCO IF IF IF IF you go into ownership with your eyes wide open. To ignore the "stress" this problem can cause owners IF they find out about the 10% + chance of catastrophic failure (IMS + Bore Score combined risk of one happening) IS sticking your head in the sand :nooo:

How you can make that statement on this thread where the car in question actually has an engine about to have a catastrophic engine failure is beyond me :eek:

Are you serious, it was a joke right :dont know:

medicus said:
ras62 said:
When fitted with the single row IMS bearing then yes that year 996 has a much higher chance of failure. Forget the opinions and look at PCNA figures in the recent court submissions. Early double row <1% later single row 8%.
As for comparing the wc engine to the 993 is just plain stupid.

i was not comparing, and my opinion is not stupid, much like yours.
i was drawing on the fact that all cars suffer from idiosyncrasies
and the 993 was no different, i know of lots of owners who cant drive for more than a month without the check engine light coming on.
again not comparing on a like for like, or a price for price, but EVERY car has something that is prevalent.

just enjoy the car.

Erm so you are saying every car has a high risk of catastrophic engine failure, you are off your rocker.

And before anyone (again) states the risk is not high:

a) a small percentage is too high
b) 10%+ (combined known causes of engine failure in a 996) is high in anyones books except current owners it seems.

My god man, are you still serious :nooo:

This has been debated to death. Using the 993 as an example (as you have) yes they have their "faults" (scuttle, rear chassis, etc) but you are missing fundamental facts in your comparison mainly none of the 993 "faults" cost any where near the value of the car to fix, owners can plan when / if they want to spend the money, etc, etc, etc :wack:

Link to the "pete" is Dead (ish) thread below which confirms the selling dealer refunded the purchase price due to Bore Scoring.

Buyer got lucky :

a) bought from a dealer
b) dealer did the right thing (presumably) under sale of goods act rather than warranty.

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?p=1052362#1052362

Moral of the story, get those PPI's done pre purchase and ensure it includes or you have done as well a boroscope check for scored bores (don't assume a PPI will check for this well known problem)

Piece of mind is worth £400 believe me, then you are much more likely to have VFM, great TCO, etc.... etc.... etc.....

To the OP I really hope this experience does not ruin your Porsche dream as it did to a good friend of mine, you are a much wiser buyer now and these really are great cars if you buy right :thumb:

medicus said:
rottenbend said:
OK. Answer the OP's question. Do the 2001 996 have catastrophic engine failures. Yes or No?

I'll answer that, NO, as in no more than any other car, the 993 had similar problems, with its engine.

how many were sold?
how many had problems?

I have always kept out of threads like this, as I had two 996's and a 986 - with no problems at all. However, I was aware of the issues - and followed the most basic rules regarding maintenance, engine warming, oil changing, over-revving etc.

But - why the hell are we now comparing to a 993 engine, and implying that the 993 engine was also fragile when it is clearly one of the strongest engine out there?

I haven't seen any evidence to show that there were any underlying issues with the Mezger block.

AndyS said:
medicus said:
rottenbend said:
OK. Answer the OP's question. Do the 2001 996 have catastrophic engine failures. Yes or No?

I'll answer that, NO, as in no more than any other car, the 993 had similar problems, with its engine.

how many were sold?
how many had problems?

I have always kept out of threads like this, as I had two 996's and a 986 - with no problems at all. However, I was aware of the issues - and followed the most basic rules regarding maintenance, engine warming, oil changing, over-revving etc.

But - why the hell are we now comparing to a 993 engine, and implying that the 993 engine was also fragile when it is clearly one of the strongest engine out there?

I haven't seen any evidence to show that there were any underlying issues with the Mezger block.

no wonder you keep out of threads, because you can not read them properly.
ill state again, im not comparing the 996 to the 993, or suggesting that the 993 was fragile??
what i am saying is neither is the 996 engine fragile, you are just haters, who stir up things saying its all doom and gloom, i dont know the figures, but i beleive its half a million 996;s out there, and only a small percentage have gone pop, i made the observation that every car has its problems, and the 993 was one that suffered from check engine light every 10 mins (lol) to me that would not be acceptable, and i would have the hump with oil left on the driveway also.
its an opinion, and im entitled to it, but if you feel the need to bully people into thinking your reasoning and opinion is the only one then crack on.

why not get your car wrapped with slogans saying dont get a 996 it will go pop, and a 993 is the only true porsche....lol.

keyboard warriors...dont ya just love them.

:popcorn:

medicus said:
i dont know the figures, but i beleive its half a million 996;s out there, and only a small percentage have gone pop,

There were just over 146,000 996 Carreras produced.

If only 5% have suffered from catastrophic engine failures (IMS bearing related or otherwise) that's over 7,000 cars.

Across the realistic lifetime of a car that might not be too bad but so many of these went pop in less than 5 years and often with less than 50k miles. :sad:

medicus...what i am saying is neither is the 996 engine fragile, you are just haters, who stir up things saying its all doom and gloom, i dont know the figures

Porsche gave us the figures for IMS, it is shocking. Sadly bore score in the 3.6 & 3.8 is even more common. You are very badly informed I'm afraid. The later M96/97 engines are indeed fragile as you term it.

medicus said:
AndyS said:
medicus said:
rottenbend said:

how many were sold?
how many had problems?

no wonder you keep out of threads, because you can not read them properly.
ill state again, im not comparing the 996 to the 993, or suggesting that the 993 was fragile??
what i am saying is neither is the 996 engine fragile, you are just haters, who stir up things saying its all doom and gloom, i dont know the figures, but i beleive its half a million 996;s out there, and only a small percentage have gone pop, i made the observation that every car has its problems, and the 993 was one that suffered from check engine light every 10 mins (lol) to me that would not be acceptable, and i would have the hump with oil left on the driveway also.
its an opinion, and im entitled to it, but if you feel the need to bully people into thinking your reasoning and opinion is the only one then crack on.

why not get your car wrapped with slogans saying dont get a 996 it will go pop, and a 993 is the only true porsche....lol.

keyboard warriors...dont ya just love them.

Wow

All I can say really , wow

alex yates said:

:floor:

Problem is no arguing with the argument presented above :hand:

im sorry if that came over a bit harsh, and i have no intention of rubbing up anybody the wrong way, as im not that kind of guy, so i apologise if it/i came across that way.

i jus get so hacked off at the constant jibes at 996-2 by people who dont have one, if the figures are correct by T8, then there are almost 140,000 996;s running around all fine and dandy.
ill take those odds for the bargain and performance my car is.
im a half full kind of guy, and dont even consider adversity until it happens

but sorry, if i ruffled any spark plugs.
David.

medicus said:
im sorry if that came over a bit harsh, and i have no intention of rubbing up anybody the wrong way, as im not that kind of guy, so i apologise if it/i came across that way.

i jus get so hacked off at the constant jibes at 996-2 by people who dont have one, if the figures are correct by T8, then there are almost 140,000 996;s running around all fine and dandy.
ill take those odds for the bargain and performance my car is.
im a half full kind of guy, and dont even consider adversity until it happens

but sorry, if i ruffled any spark plugs.
David.

Apology accepted. For a moment I thought you missed the bit in my quote " I have had two 996's and a 986 - with no problems at all."

Just an outsiders point of view. I've never owned or driven a Porsche but now actively looking to purchase my first one. At a £15k budget the 996 is in the range I'm looking. From reading this thread I accept that there are few actual failures but none the less there is a weakness with this engine. Why has there never been a factory recall?

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
briant1000
Back