Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 Cost of Ownership 2003 - 2015 (Actuals)

wibbaboo

Monza
Hi All -
I've recently bought a 996 which came with a large folder of bills..
So being quite OCD I have logged these and produced a timeline of mileage /date and costs.

Now - OK - this is a snapshot of one car that spent every service and repair at an Official Porsche Centre - so the cost would be a lot cheaper if the original owner went to an Independent - and not all cars get a new engine at 91K miles.

Hat off to the previous owners who kept these invoices - a grand total of £35,225.00 spent on this car from new.. average cost per year (excluding engine replacement) £1858.00
Slide1_zps1494207e.jpg

Slide2_zps3f579e8a.jpg

Slide3_zps4e3db75e.jpg

Slide4_zps3bf1e78d.jpg

and Mileage chart based upon bills

Slide5_zpsdee44d7d.jpg

7-9000 miles out of a set of tyres? Alloys refurbed twice in a year? Possibly explains the new engine!

And Porsche prices....minor service and 2 tyres £1200 :floor:

Mine had 2 clutches in 1 year, and the second one had the RMS seal done, but it was the IMS seal that was leaking, so porsche ended up dropping the box again the month after just to do the IMS seal.

Not been funny but most of those bills (like mine) should really be half that price they are, robbing b**tards!!

Excellent stuff Wibba' :thumb:

I'm glad it's not just me that does thing as anoraky as this. :grin:

There's nothing in that chart that surprises me, not even the mark up of the trade price v retail sale to the owner before you.

That trade-in price, after shelling out for a new engine, would have done my nut in.

Looks like you got a good deal and a very decent car. :thumb:

Battery should be £100 tops (and that's Bosch with a 5 year warranty).

As if someone forked out £221 :eek:

Still nice to know all that work has been done. History files on these cars are proper eye openers.

:worship:

I'm a a Total Cost of Ownership geek too. I'm sad and get really excited at threads like this. And your cataloging approach is amazing.

I do a similar exercise (without the beautiful presentation) whenever I chamge cars.

Option A - Keep and spend on it to make it 'special'.
Option B - 996 C4S
Option C - 996 turbo
Option D - Keep and maintain

I catalogue the costs, asset value now vs asset value in the future, expected ownership timeframe and what buying next.

It's not the lowest cost I go for, or the best investment. I just want to know I e considered each option. Sad sad sad I know...... :nooo:

This sort of thread gives me hope :thumb:

I am glad I didn't own that car in 2011... eye watering. :sad:

The car I am getting has a full history of bills, I will have to compare, but from my memory math it must be about half the cost.

Bloody hell that is some good work! What's your address I'll post you mine!! :D :D

Wow...that's proper geeky...love it!
I did a reasonable amount of research when I bought mine and looking at examples, going through the entire service history of invoices to see what had been done. Call me a cynic but the cars that I looked at that had been under warranty seemed to have an AWFUL lot more work done that cars that weren't....:D
The one I ended up buying was under warranty for the max time available I think and most services seemed to involve some large numbers for stuff that maybe wouldn't have been done if not under warranty? One that stood out was the complete removal of engine and transmission to source minor oil weep. No mention of parts after that so maybe it dried up on it own but a healthy 2k+ job for the OPC.
Of course, could be just coincidence...

regards
Ben

Great piece of work. Do you know why engine needed replacing? Water pump not replaced yet or did that get find with new engine?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
emb01
Back