Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

lifter tappets

andy ward 34

Trainee
how do you know if the tappet is working, engine stripped, two out of twelve on 4 to 6 can be depressed between thumb and finger others seem solid, which is good, any info regarding how they work
cheers

is it possible to clean them out or soak them to free them up or should they be stiff and are holding oil

andy ward 34 said:
is it possible to clean them out or soak them to free them up or should they be stiff and are holding oil

I do have some used spare ones in my garage, I think a couple of those were stiff, I could give it a go and report back... if you are not in too much of a rush to re-assemble.

I found three inlet tappets in my garage and one of those was stiff to lift the Variocam+ lifter, I've soaked it in alcohol cleaner for a while and no oil residue came out of the lifter, so it wasn't gunked up, I cleaned it up and filled it with clean engine oil but it was still stiff, this lifter had been involved with a bent valve in the past and looking at the top face the centre VC+ part is slightly oval and looks like it's catching slightly when lifting so it may be worth you checking that yours are all perfectly round in their bore.

For people that aren't sure what we are talking about..

I stripped the inlet tappet down to its component parts and found the inner tappet scoring on the outer part , so I assume this is why it is sticking. I would check yours carefully before re-installing and if any are faulty I wouldn't fit them. I wouldn't strip any down to check unless you know they are scrap, mine is just a scrap one, kept for referencing.

Why did your engine fail, I'm just wondering if there was valve contact?

Just looking at you sig but I see you are saying you have a 1998 car so 3.4? I'm trying to work out what you are moving in the tappet as yours should be just flat top, is this correct? Ignore the above if you are 3.4.
Your centre part of the underside that sits on the valve, should only move slightly and luckily they are about 2/3 cheaper than the ones shown above, but they should still move, but only slightly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stinkyspanner
Back