Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Has anybody followed their own car?

Alex

Nordschleife
I was out with my son and his friend last Sunday for a swift ale down at my local countryside pub. His mate jumped in with me for a 'ride in a 911' and my son followed down in his MX-5 (in typical 23 year old fashion - with the top down).

Anyway, when we got to the boozer, he says to me 'bloody 'ell Dad, you wanna hear your car, it sounds absolutely awesome, proper noisy and immense'

I've always thought these flat sixes do sound good, but I suppose when you're in the car, you mustn't get the full effect as all the sound is left behind you.

Just wondered if anybody else with a NA 3.4 or 3.6 had followed their own car and noticed a difference from being in the car. Also, what do fly-bys sound like??

alex yates said:
I was out with my son and his friend last Sunday for a swift ale down at my local countryside pub. His mate jumped in with me for a 'ride in a 911' and my son followed down in his MX-5 (in typical 23 year old fashion - with the top down).

Anyway, when we got to the boozer, he says to me 'bloody 'ell Dad, you wanna hear your car, it sounds absolutely awesome, proper noisy and immense'

I've always thought these flat sixes do sound good, but I suppose when you're in the car, you mustn't get the full effect as all the sound is left behind you.

Just wondered if anybody else with a NA 3.4 or 3.6 had followed their own car and noticed a difference from being in the car. Also, what do fly-bys sound like??

Sounds like you need to wind the windows down and travel thru either a long tunnel or a multistorey car park. I did the later in my C2 and i set a car alarm off :D

Mine is epic ! With some pops in gear changes and flames coming out on lift off . The sound is mind blowing at full chat !!!! Thanks speedtechexhaust !
:thumb:

Must admit, when you're in the car, it does sound better with the roof down for a 'fuller effect'.

Managed to do a couple of car alarms, especially when reverse parking into a space at the roadside.

Thought the same myself as always the driver.

a friend followed me quite rapidly in his Aston down some country lanes last summer and said the PSE sounded amazing from behind and especially when booting it.

I've been in my diesel beater and had the window down when another C4S has come up behind and floored it past me with what I assume was PSE and it did sound pretty epic so whilst it sounds good from the drivers seat its obviously not the full effect :wink:

as for tunnels there's one a mile from my house and I always drop into 2nd and give it the beans through the tunnel, probably look like a pratt to everyone but the petrol heads but the sound is amazing.

The Turbo is ridiculous, my mates dad thinks I have a hole in my exhaust it's that loud haha.

And people ALWAYS say I knew you were here I heard the car h

I've always been led to believe the Turbos don't sound half as good. Can anyone shed any light on that?

alex yates said:
I've always been led to believe the Turbos don't sound half as good. Can anyone shed any light on that?

It's all subjective, turbos rob much of the exhaust melody you normally associate with their NA counterparts, but in return you get God's thunder instead :grin:

I've been fortunate enough to see and hear my car in action many times on our European tours including full fat fly by's and charging down autobahns and mountain passes - it is a sight and sound of wonder watching your own car in motion and something every Porsche owner should experience at least once... :thumb:

:thumb:

Got a 996 TT and was not that impressed by the sound
Got myself a miltek 100 cel exhaust and boy what a difference

Sounds so much better my kids open the door when I arrive home without me even having to ring the bell

The first day I arrived home after having the exhaust fitted my neighbour 2 doors down commented on how nice it sounded

It is not mental loud just crisper and deeper but from inside the car I am probably not getting anywhere near the full benefit

Makes the car imho sound much better

Yes, did this not long after I got my 9e exhaust fitted, And also had several members on here follow me to sample the exhaust... It's loud inside the car, it's really loud when following it... But with the added benefit that it can be switched to "normal" DEFINATELY the best single mod for a Turbo IMHO.

My wife's only driven mine once and stated she'd never drive it again ( suits me lol!!! ) :D I have asked her to do me a drive by so I can hear it, but I fear she won't give it enough beans.My brother on the other hand................. :hand:

My wife's using the 911 for work for a couple of weeks while waiting for her new car to come. Have to admit the 911 sounds fantastic when she comes home into the drive! (997.2 3.6).

I've had comments about the standard exhaust sounding good on a 997TT - normally through a tunnel.

Through the Hatfield tunnel it was the one the stood out, surrounded by V8 Audi's..

My TT sound pretty dull TBH.

The road going GT3s at Spa last year sounded fantastic.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lb456
Back