Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Porsche Classic brings out new navigation radio for classic

stevewak

From press release today:

91164529000_1LR.jpg

Porsche Classic brings out new navigation radio for classic sports cars
Stuttgart. Classic on the outside yet ultra modern on the inside: with its newly developed navigation radio Porsche is responding to the growing demand for a built-in device for classic sports cars. The purpose-built unit combines the style of yesteryear with the benefits of modern technology. It fits perfectly into the DIN-1 slot that has been used in the sports cars for decades and is operated by means of two knobs, six discreetly integrated buttons and a touch-sensitive 3.5-inch display.

Thanks to the appearance of the black surface and the shape of the knobs, which are supplied in two authentically styled versions as standard, the navigation radio blends harmoniously into the dashboard of classic Porsche models. It bears the Porsche lettering and is suitable for the sports car generations between the first 911 from the 1960s and the last of the 911 series with air cooling from the mid 1990s (993 series), including the earlier front-engine and mid-engine models.

The new navigation radio comes with all the key features of today's systems. In addition to low-interference radio reception and precise navigation, it has interfaces for a variety of external music sources that can be controlled from the display. A smartphone can be connected via Bluetooth. In addition, the classic radio not only has a built-in microphone but also comes with an external microphone. The integrated amplifier delivers 4x45 watts and can be connected either directly to the loudspeakers or to the original sound system using an optional adapter cable.

Exclusively developed and adapted for classic Porsche sports cars
The new navigation radio has been exclusively developed for Porsche Classic and specially for the classic sports cars. Radio reception, for instance, has been optimised for the built-in aerial supplied ex-works, which is generally only a single telescope. The operating concept of the device is based on Porsche Communication Management (PCM) and has undergone extensive testing at the Technical University in Munich to verify its user friendliness. Numerous trial journeys have been undertaken in Europe to test the country-specific navigation. Drivers have a choice of arrows and two-dimensional or three-dimensional maps to display the route. The maps are stored on a microSD card with eight gigabytes of memory and are updated regularly. In Germany, the new navigation radio is available immediately from Porsche Classic Partners or Centres and costs 1,184 euros including VAT.

Attachments

• p15_0168_118.jpg
    p15_0168_118.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 18,651
  • p15_0169_104.jpg
    p15_0169_104.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 18,651
HOW MUCH????!!!!!

I hope it gets better reviews than their last attempt.]

Looks ok but I actually think the Beckers are more period correct for 993's. Might suit earlier cars better.

Looks OK but crack-pipe pricing!

Didn't see that it had DAB. If not I can't see the point of spending a fortune on a set that doesn't look as good as the Beckers and isn't future proofed with DAB.
And if you think you can only get DAB if your in central London I have driven 10's of thousands of miles around the UK with a DAB radio and I have only had reception issues on very rare occasions.

No DAB that I can see.

Tbh, any head unit will end up being old technology. So long as it allows full bluetooth streaming from your mobile device, you probably have all that you need on yoru iPhone or Android. Sat nav, internet radio, music streaming etc. And at least your phone updates as apps change, so remains future proof.

Re DAB, isn't there some turf war between UK and EU (Germany) over frequencies which is why it has taken so long for German cars to have UK-fit DAB? I agree, DAB is a 'must' now, particularly with terrible reception on MW in many places. Cricket.

Also, DAB might have needed bigger and more complex aerial than bent coat hangers we all have... let alone weedy wisp of fuse wire on 993 screen. Pricewise, if you factor in cost of Becker plus ancillary stuff, it's probably 50% too expensive. I'd be tempted, but only with screen and aerial totally sorted out.

Better than the last version but I'll stick with my Blaupunkt/mp3 player until it at least halves in price...

at least it looks to sit flush with the dash, compared to the last one that stuck out

No bad looking I suppose, but crazy price, and in a 993 it's just a totally unsuitable postion for a satnav.... prob end up with you in a ditch trying to look at that little screen!

Me likey, far nicer looking than the last effort. :)

Just too expensive. I'd go for it if it was £600.00 installed, but no more than that...

Not bothered with DAB either. I work alot on building sites, all the builders raved about DAB, in the end quite a lot went back to the old style radios.

Builders? Yup. Anything to do with tea or radio, a Builder I have found, is the fountain of knowledge.

EDIT:
Linky https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=553l5ZrkyYU
Just wait to you see them plug in their iphone. It looks like something built for a Tiger Tank.

I'm not so sure it isnt DAB either, he seems to be picking up a LOAD of radio stations.

Looks terrible IMHO. A Becker is still a better option in terms of integration wit the 993 dash.

wozy said:
EDIT:
Linky https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=553l5ZrkyYU
Just wait to you see them plug in their iphone. It looks like something built for a Tiger Tank.

I'm not so sure it isnt DAB either, he seems to be picking up a LOAD of radio stations.

When I looked at the link I had to rush outside to check my car was still where I left it :D Not too keen on the radio but love the Guards Red Cab! 8)

ATB :)

Big visual improvement over the previous version for 964/993 use.

Price is bananas and I prefer my Becker GP for looks I think.

Will Statt said:
No bad looking I suppose, but crazy price, and in a 993 it's just a totally unsuitable postion for a satnav.... prob end up with you in a ditch trying to look at that little screen!

+1

Perhaps they should forget the SatNav aspect and build a cheaper unit with DAB and modern Phone/Music integration using USB and Bluetooth. It would help with the looks too.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlas.997
Back