Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Advice on potential 944 purchase

piemuncher

Hi all,

A little background on me as this is my first post!

25 years old, live in Surrey England. Have a 2014 C250CDI Auto which it seems that my girlfriend uses more than me - we both do 20 miles a day commuting. I use my motorbike or bicycle a couple of days a week.

We decided that we needed a second car. In her mind she was thinking Smart Car / Corsa, in my mind I was thinking Porsche 944 / 996 / Citreon 2CV! (dont ask). I'm a bona fide vehicle hoarder currently in possession of a 1970 Vespa Super 150, a Vespa ET4, Honda CBR1100 Blackbird and in the past have owned a Mobylette 50cc, Yamaha 125 and Honda CBR 125.

Car history! Current Merc C250CDI Coupe Automatic (white :wack: , sensible, economical, easy to drive and doesnt break down!), Merc CLK270CDI, BMW 325ti, Peugeot 306 HDI, Citreon Saxo and Rover Metro (absolutely loved the metro!).

Because of the way relationships work, the second car will most likely be driven by me (with her driving the brand new car that I pay for!). It will do 5000 miles a year, and I want it to be fun.

I've been looking at a Porsche 944 to fill this void - there is something about them that I've always liked, I think it's the muscular look. I have thought about a 996 but it's a bit too flashy for me and would probably cost too much. Plus, I can insure the 944 for £140 a year, and I can use a spanner (before the Merc all work has been done by me).

I've found one (photos attached) which has caught my attention.

It's a 1983 944 "S1", sports exhaust, 109k miles, 8 month MOT with no advisories. Tear in the seat, couple of scratches on the bonnet, a little bubbling on rear wheel arch, split in one of the seat fabrics and the rear wipers don't work!

In your informed opinions is this a ropey pile or could it be a good purchase.

I can get it for mid to high £2k's I reckon. I would want to replace the steering wheel with an original one, and put cookie cutter wheels back on.

Early 944 with old style dash if the wheelarches are going you really need to check the sills as these are the main culprits for rust , interior not great either colour or condition at 2k It wouldnt be on my shopping list only positive I see are the wheels which you want to change 2-3k will have plenty options

I would keep looking :thumb:

Thanks for the reply.

I quite like the colour - preference would be Guards Red, but I haven't seen one that isn't faded yet.

How much does an interior seat refurb run at - any idea? I'm not planning on taking it to a show, would it clean up with a hoover and some polish?

I've got some photos of the internal sills:

Attachments

• sill_2_196.png
    sill_2_196.png
    157.3 KB · Views: 12,653
  • sill_external_149.png
    sill_external_149.png
    125.8 KB · Views: 12,653
  • sill_117.png
    sill_117.png
    156.1 KB · Views: 12,653
If you are wanting a square dash 944 then I would be looking for a very early one..Does the car you are looking at have power steering?..

That looks very ropey compared to one I've just seen and is possibly up for sale @c£3,500. 944 Lux in black with pinstripe interior and 91k miles. Didn't take notice of the reg but it has the oval dash and tele dial alloys.

It's had paint over its life as you'd expect but no visible corrosion. The interior is the cleanest and least worn I have ever seen. The seats are totally unmarked. Bolsters perfect and even the pinstripe velour is not worn like most are. I'd say the car is not far off showroom condition

The owner is looking at putting it into storage but think he will sell. Based on the usual crap I've seen it is very good value.

PM me for serious interest. Car in West Yorks :thumb:

It's becoming quite clear that I know nothing, I thought it looked alright! Thanks for the insight.

What makes this one ropey out of interest? Keen to learn!

I do think you are barking up the right tree with a 944.They make a brilliant daily and if you buy an 8 valve 2.5 or 2.7 then the engines are bulletproof.

Personally I prefer the early dash over the later and one day a 944 will be added to my collection and it will be a first year guards red model with the skinny cookie cutters.

The Zingari car sounds good and if you can negotiate his commission down a little then it looks to be a winner. :grin:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back