Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Even a 993 breakdown occasionally - confession time

Kat1

Inspired by Kimbo's recent thread (What spares do you carry?) I felt it would be useful to analyse what breakdowns we have collectively had in our 993s.

Firstly, we can build up a picture of what spares it might be useful to carry and secondly, what preventative maintenance we should be considering.

When I say breakdowns – I am thinking about the time when you needed external assistance to continue or terminate your journey.

So I will start this off.

In just over 10 years and 55k miles of 993 ownership, I have had the single breakdown. The alternator packed up on the A1 near Newark - £350 for the recovery home. I had the alternator rebuilt with new brushes

I also had a near breakdown when the battery partially gave up – I managed to limp home - I now replace the battery every five years irrespective of how well it is performing.

Perhaps we should include any occasion when the engine won't start. Happened to me last year when I tried to start the engine after the winter. Nothing doing. Of course it was the DME relay. So nothing new there. It would be interesting to know how many have experienced the problem.

also symptoms building up to failure might be handy...

I've done 11k in mine and it's not missed a beat-
sods law it will break down now I clicked on this thread.

STEERING RACK

Bang. Out of the blue, very messy, very expensive.

I've done 3k in mine and it's not missed...oh, hang on...

DME (just to introduce me to joys of 993 ownership - limped across bus lane to get off major giratory and got fine)
Bulb blown - replacement didn't work. RAC fixed electrical issue (ok ok I should have been able to do that!)
Flat battery - Indy replaced battery
Flat battery - Indy replaced new battery
Flat battery - Indy replaced CCU, that fixed battery issue.
Turn air-con on in rain, cabin fills with steam and have to stop (less a breakdown, more a feature of ownership!)

Why are the pretty ones always the high maintenance ones?

ALTERNATOR

Just like any other car I guess. Don't buy a new battery before checking it.

Horrible coughing misfire: sorted with new distributor caps and rotors.

Battery not holding charge: sorted at the same time as above with a new battery.

I've had a no start due to the DME failing, fitted the spare and all was fine. Ordered a new one immediately... as you do. :D However, the car was in my drive so no problem. Also had a battery failure out of the blue but a jump start and a quick trip to a local garage for a new one sorted it in less than an hour. I also had the steering rack replaced but it wasn't a breakdown, I heard this horrible noise on a hard turn so took it straight to my indy, he replaced the rack and all was well.

These cars are pretty much bullet proof IMHO :D

ATB :)

9 years no breakdowns ,only scary moment when oil pressure sender gave up and went to zero

Best car ever ! :D

Extract from my journal August 2013.......

Had a bit of a scare last night..........I was attending a black tie dinner and decided to take the 993 for a nice run ala James Bond style :D

Just as I was hitting the motorway under heavy acceleration the radio cut off (Shirley bassey at her best ) and the instrument warnings lights started going crazy.

All sorts of thoughts going through my head, did I wire that stereo up properly, did I dislodge something putting it back, were the LED sight indicators melting but I thought the hard shoulder was no place to stop, what would James do :?: so I panicked and slowed down in the inside lane ready for an emergency stop if needed.

5 miles of Shirley and full disco lights flashing I pulled into the infamous chorley services :eek:

By this time it was heavy rain :roll:

I quickly jumped into the passenger seat and removed the stereo, everything seemed fine. Put it all back and I thought I would start the car back up to see if I had miraculously cured the problem,.........nothing, car absolutely dead.

By this time middle of thunderstorm :pc:

So I sat there repeating the word ***** several times...... AA, phone call home, taxi for 1,........ What would James do.......... Car dead = check battery first.....thunderstorm, best dinner jacket shirt on :pc:

Gave it 5 min, no sign of rain stopping :pc:

So I ended up popping the bonnet and jumping out...... Then noticed the camper van parked in front of me and 2 kids staring out at me...... I was sooooo tempted to say "the names Bond........." But didn't :oops:

Anyway imagine my relief when I realised the battery breaker I had fitted a month ago had simply worked loose. A few turns to re tighten, drop the bonnet and the engine fired up first time and no more symptoms :thumb:

So I learned two things from the experience....

- what it's like to drive a car with no earth
- don't be a smart Alec and get changed in the hotel room when you get there :dont know: :oops:

What were doing Driving to a Black Tie Dinner??

Do you not drink?

Failed to start, symptoms just like DME relay failure, buzzing from the fuse box, fuel pump going but not catching.

Replaced dme with my 911uk mandated spare. Problem persists. Wound up going on a trailer to precision. They tracked it down to a bad earth under the passenger seat. The ecu wasn't earthing properly, so car not prepared to play.

Did 10,000 miles last year and nothing untoward to report...........I did run out of windscreen washer fluid once!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scratch
Back