Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

My 2006 Cayman S

suave.gif

It's home. I collected it last night. 8)

What a great car. There's a lovely feeling of being directly connected to what the car's doing which I didn't get in either of my 996s. I think having the engine right behind your head helps. :D

I love the induction bark but I think I'll need to put a cheeky exhaust on there quite soon to sort out the rest of the soundtrack.

I'm talking to RPM about their CSR parts list already. :oops:

I'll take it out for a longer run as soon as I can but first impressions are that trading in the Turbo was the right thing to do.

BillTheButcher said:
There's a lovely feeling of being directly connected to what the car's doing which I didn't get in either of my 996s. I think having the engine right behind your head helps. :D

Exactly, the Cayman feels like a nimble, lightweight go-kart compared to the 996/997. I've had 3 of them over the years and really miss driving them, I love the 911 but the Cayman is easier to enjoy at a more sensible speed.

Enjoy the car :thumbs:

Thank you. :)

I was surprised to read in the manual how heavy it actually is (just over 1300 kg IIRC). I know that's about 300 kg lighter than my 996 Turbo but it feels lighter even than that.

I was sitting at some traffic lights just after setting off and I realised that everything just felt right. :) I loved a lot of things about my 996s but I think the Cayman S might be a better match for me.

mine feels very nimble and I feel that when I turn a tight corner I'm pivoting around from the centre of the car as opposed to pulling the back around. (If that makes sense).

My only regret at the moment is that the interior is sea blue and I may have preferred a lighter colour. I think it will grow on me and it does feel a bit more business like and smart but I'm struggling to get used to it for now.
It could be the fact that my 996 interior is Boxster red and plenty of it, dash, steering wheel the works.

Anyway, I digress, enjoy your new car and let me know if you do the exhaust before I do mine so I can come and have a listen:)

Sorta you show me yours and I'll show you mine.

wilpert said:
mine feels very nimble and I feel that when I turn a tight corner I'm pivoting around from the centre of the car as opposed to pulling the back around. (If that makes sense).
Yes it makes perfect sense. :)

I'm still taking it very easy while I get used to the PASM and the different handling characteristics but even at this very early stage I love the way it goes around corners and how much feedback the car gives you.

wilpert said:
My only regret at the moment is that the interior is sea blue and I may have preferred a lighter colour. I think it will grow on me and it does feel a bit more business like and smart but I'm struggling to get used to it for now.
It could be the fact that my 996 interior is Boxster red and plenty of it, dash, steering wheel the works.
I'm the opposite - I had a pale grey interior in my Carrera and I didn't like it much so I wanted something much darker this time; you can't get much darker than mine. :D

wilpert said:
Anyway, I digress, enjoy your new car and let me know if you do the exhaust before I do mine so I can come and have a listen:)
Will do. I'm going to live with it for a while first. In the mid-range and at high revs it sounds great as it is but I've heard a few aftermarket backboxes that give it a lovely rumble at idle that it's missing at the moment.

After a year of ownership, and a dramatic change in personal circumstances earlier this year, I decided a while ago that I wanted to try something more focused and raw than my Cayman S.

My first thoughts were either a 996 or 997 GT3. Recent increases in the values of both forced a rethink.

Yesterday I tried (amongst other things) an S3 Exige S and an Evora S.

The Evora S felt very similar in intent and feel to the Cayman S. A lovely car in its own right but not different enough to warrant a change.

The Exige S on the other hand completely blew me away.

I'd driven down a particularly poorly-surfaced road on the way to the garage which wrong-footed the Cayman several times and caused the brake ducts to scrape quite badly in a few places. This road formed part of the test drive route; I couldn't believe how different the Lotus felt over the same series of potholes, cracks and bumps. If I hadn't known otherwise I'd have said it was a completely different road.

The straight-line performance is impressive (claimed 3.8 to 60) but what stuck with me was the brake feel, the constant (but not overwhelming) feedback through the steering wheel and the seat, and just how much fun I had.

I strained a muscle in my shoulder getting out but it was worth it. :D

I need one of these cars in my life. Let the man maths commence.

Farewell to an amazing car, now on its way back to RPM.

I hope the next owner enjoys it as much as I did. :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kjcsr911
Back